Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5018 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 97 of 117
01 June 2015 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
I'm already planning on experimenting with new "techniques" this summer, so this challenge is well-timed. Specifically, working on my voice, using materials aimed at actors and singers. I'm doing this not only for linguistic reasons - I'm also keen to learn to sing, and to generally use my speaking voice better - but I'm hoping that it will help with my speaking and accent in current and future languages, especially Italian. I've written a bit more about this in recent log posts.

However, it's a complicated and long-term project; one of the books I'm using claims to contain a year's worth of work, for example. So I don't think it's quite the same thing as trying a simple language learning technique for a few weeks, and it's probably missing the point of the challenge. Still, I'm going to dive into it in the summer months and there could be some low-hanging fruit to be grabbed in the initial stages or specific tasks to work on in the shorter term. We'll see.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 98 of 117
01 June 2015 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
It definitely doesn't miss the point of this challenge :) In fact it's a great example of a less specific technique.

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4415 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 99 of 117
02 June 2015 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
Hope everyone is doing well! Just a quick note to let you know I'm on holidays at the moment, you can expect
a comprehensive update when I get a spare minute at the end of this week!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 100 of 117
02 June 2015 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
Great, enjoy your holidays!
1 person has voted this message useful

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4413 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 101 of 117
18 June 2015 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
I'll check out that techniques page since I'm looking for new approaches to tackle grammar learning and writing. I'm pretty satisfied with my current passive skills level in French, now it's time to work on those active skills!

Ccaesar
Triglot
Groupie
Denmark
Joined 3606 days ago

84 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English, German
Studies: Italian

Message 102 of 117
19 June 2015 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
I am going to try to re-do assimil once I have finished and to memorise more grammar.
Over the summer. Once I have a better grasp of the core language I plan on trying to add
more vocabulary.

- Mainly I am thinking of a plan rather than a technique since those on the list don't
seem that appealing to me.

However I might start revising the Assimil lessons a bit differently, when I do it for
the 2nd time.

Meddysong
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 3418 days ago

56 posts - 84 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, French
Studies: Italian, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 103 of 117
30 June 2015 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
Do we have anybody in this group who lives in Romania? I want Romanian to be next year's project and there's a certain book I would like to read when I start. I've tracked down a copy online but it's for posting within Romania.

I'd be very grateful if somebody were willing to have the book sent to them and then forward it on to me. I'd cover those original costs plus the extra to post it to England. I don't know how much a pint of beer costs over there, but I'd pay them enough money as a thank-you to ensure that they need to take the next day off work to recover :)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 104 of 117
30 June 2015 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
It's not on http://www.bookdepository.com, is it? :/

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version