117 messages over 15 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 1 ... 14 15 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 1 of 117
07 January 2015 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the Romance team for Total Annihilation Challenge 2015!

The main goals of TAC are keeping a log and reading your teammates' logs. New members are always welcome, but please note that this team is mostly for those who are interested in several Romance languages, or learning one that is smaller than Spanish or French. By the way, although technically languages like Latin, Esperanto or Ladino aren't Romance, they also count.

I'm going to use the rules originally proposed by Luso, with some changes.

I ask everyone to make a post in this thread, with a link to your log and a quick (or not so quick) introduction. Feel free to choose the focus of your introduction: your goals, plans, motivation, the methods you've used so far etc. It doesn't have to be detailed. Optionally, include your contacts like Twitter, personal blog, Facebook etc.

It's not obligatory to include the team name in your log title, but of course this will make it easier for all of us to locate each other's logs. Feel free to use a language-specific variant of the name, such as Cesare, César, Cezar etc. And of course feel free to share your associations with the team name.

The next post contains the member list. New participants need to introduce themselves to be accepted into the team. Remember that members will be eliminated in the following cases:
- not indicating a log link by the end of January
- not updating the log for more than 60 days
- not visiting the forum at all for more than 45 days

If this seems drastic, I'd like to remind all of you that TAC stands for Total Annihilation Challenge, and not for "I'll dabble in languages for two months then try something else and will come back in January 2016 to see if I've won the blue ribbon challenge".

Furthermore, elimination is not permanent. You can rejoin when you have more time (please be realistic). Also, you won't be removed if you warn us about your absence in your log and in the team thread.

Edited by Serpent on 19 January 2015 at 2:06am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 117
07 January 2015 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Members
Serpent: Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, Romanian, Catalan
YnEoS: French,Romanian, strong interest in other Romance languages
liammcg: Italian, French
TimmyTurner93: Portuguese
garyb: French, Italian
sillygoose1: Italian, Portuguese
tristano: French, Spanish
Kerrie: Spanish, Portuguese, maybe French and Italian
Anya: French, Portuguese, Italian, strong interest in other Romance languages
Ccaesar: Italian
suzukaze: Spanish, French, strong interest in Portuguese
jesm86: Portuguese
kanewai: French, Italian, Spanish
Meddysong: French, Esperanto, Italian, Catalan, Spanish
nikolic993: Italian, Romanian
dandt: Italian
tastyonions: French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese

Edited by Serpent on 19 April 2015 at 4:22pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 3 of 117
07 January 2015 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
Resources (mostly multilingual; available in all of Spanish, French, Italian and [Brazilian] Portuguese unless stated otherwise)

HTLAL wikia (general language learning advice)
collections of collections of... collections of resources compiled by Volte
Lyricstraining.com
Funny/interesting twitter accounts. Quite many in Spanish and especially Portuguese.
BBC Languages
GLOSS - free lessons in Portuguese, Spanish, French and a lot of non-Romance languages
Coursera - MOOC's (massive online courses), on many topics and in many languages. Some courses are in English but offer subtitles in other languages.
Miríada X - MOOC's in Spanish and Portuguese
TED and TEDx - thought-provoking presentations
Book2 - phrases and vocabulary with recordings, available for the Top 4 and also Romanian, Catalan
Five Colleges Language media - useful phrases, authentic videos on everyday situations, cultural information, travel advice (Top 4 and Romanian)
Radio Arlecchino - Italian grammar and culture podcast
uiowa.edu/~acadtech/phonetics/ - Spanish phonetics apps, both flash/web and mobile

Edited by Serpent on 31 May 2015 at 3:16pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3846 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 4 of 117
07 January 2015 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
Yeeeeeesssss first! :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3846 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 5 of 117
07 January 2015 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
Ok, now I will do "il serio".
This is my
log
I'm Tristano, 33 years old (in a few days). This is ***was***
my Facebook profile (but I'll remove the link in a few days).
I'm Italian and I'm studying French and Spanish. I take French lessons at the Alliance
Française (I'm starting the level B2.1). I study Spanish on my own. I want to become
really confident in speaking and writing these two languages. I use an input-based
plus formal grammar study approach.
In the second post of my log there are all the informations about the resources I use
:)

Buono studio a tutti!

Edited by tristano on 07 April 2015 at 5:37pm

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4435 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 6 of 117
07 January 2015 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
My log

I've been studying languages for a few years now. I've dabbled in more than I can remember, and I've managed to get it down to French, Spanish, Italian, German, and Portuguese that I really want to reach a high level in.

I love to read and watch movies. Not only in foreign languages either. :) If anyone ever needs recommendations for films or series in French, Spanish, or Italian, just ask. I've been scouring the internet for decent material in these three languages for awhile now and I've developed a pretty solid list.

Here's to a fruitful new year.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 7 of 117
07 January 2015 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
So, to get the ball rolling, let's reiterate some points from the first post:

-I ask everyone to make a post in this thread, with a link to your log and a quick (or not so quick) introduction. Feel free to choose the focus of your introduction: your goals, plans, motivation, the methods you've used so far etc. It doesn't have to be detailed. Optionally, include your contacts like Twitter, personal blog, Facebook etc.
Consider this the January challenge if you will.

-It's not obligatory to include the team name in your log title, but of course this will make it easier for all of us to locate each other's logs. Feel free to use a language-specific variant of the name, such as Cesare, César, Cezar etc. And of course feel free to share your associations with the team name.

-The rules were originally created for Team Rare. I certainly agree that it's discouraging to look at a member list that hasn't been updated since January. My first idea was to give some extra benefit of doubt by adding a question mark, a yellow card or whatever instead of deleting people from the list, but this can also feel like public shaming. Also, people are generally warned by PM first.
Any other rules that you consider important?

-Do we need godparents? suzukaze has offered to be one for Italian, and tristano is another native speaker of it. But they're already official members anyway. Besides, many of us already speak one Romance language well and could help fellow learners. And I'm sure we can count on some native speakers checking the logs (but probably not the team thread).

-Sorry that it's taken me so long to start the thread.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 8 of 117
07 January 2015 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Oh yay we already have some introductions! Welcome :)

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version