goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4476 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 25 of 117
13 January 2015 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
My log is here: link

I've been learning French for about three years. Right now I am not using any formal methods to study it. I just listen to a lot of France Inter, read Le Monde, chat with people online, and read a novel now and then. I feel pretty comfortable both writing and speaking it.

I first took Spanish in high school for three years, but with the passage of a decade I forgot everything I knew other than maybe the few hundred most common words. Fortunately, when I restarted the language a year ago my French gave me a nice jump start on the grammar and vocabulary. I currently work with an awesome tutor from Colombia once every one or two weeks, plus reading news articles and chatting online. I'd say I have a lower intermediate level, which I would like to bring up to advanced this year.

Italian I started learning about two weeks ago with Assimil and Lingq. I'm currently on lesson 17 in Assimil. Based on help from my French and Spanish, I am shooting for a solid intermediate level in Italian by the end of the year. It's the only Romance language to which I have any family connection, and my wife and I would like to go to Italy once we have the money.

Portuguese is on hold for the moment while I work on improving my Spanish and Italian. We'll see what develops as those languages improve.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Meddysong
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 3418 days ago

56 posts - 84 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, French
Studies: Italian, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 26 of 117
14 January 2015 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
^^ You've only been learning French for three years and yet you write so perfectly and eloquently in your log! That's some excellent work. I bet you'll make a tonne of progress with Italian (and Portuguese if you start again) this year, tastyonions :)

Edited by Meddysong on 14 January 2015 at 12:17pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4476 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish

Message 27 of 117
14 January 2015 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
Thanks! I'm trying to write it entirely in the languages I'm studying and so far I've done it. Obviously this drastically shrinks the potential readership for the log but it's great practice.

Edited by tastyonions on 14 January 2015 at 12:33pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 28 of 117
14 January 2015 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Meddysong, please note that everyone should start a log to be on the team :)))

Meddysong
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 3418 days ago

56 posts - 84 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, French
Studies: Italian, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 29 of 117
15 January 2015 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
^^ OK, log created here and I appear to have successfully edited the wikia without breaking it. I don't have any Catalan materials yet so I'll probably stick with French & Italian for a week or so.

Edit: Masking internal links? Really? Good grief, this forum.

Edit 2: I seem to have hit the magic number of posts such that I'm no longer masked ... but rather than lead you to the linked page clicking there will just reload this one. Gah ...

Edited by Meddysong on 16 January 2015 at 1:32pm

Ccaesar
Triglot
Groupie
Denmark
Joined 3606 days ago

84 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English, German

Message 30 of 117
15 January 2015 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
Ciao a tutti!
I was wondering, how exactly are we going to do this. Are we going to group up into pairs
who read and comment on each others' logs or?

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5676 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 31 of 117
15 January 2015 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
Meddysong wrote:
^^ OK, log created here and I appear to have successfully edited the wikia without breaking it. I don't have any Catalan materials yet so I'll probably stick with French & Italian for a week or so.

Edit: Masking internal links? Really? Good grief, this forum.
Meddysong, i meant to post this in your log but i forgot until now. If all you want to do is to be able to read in Catalan then the only course you need is the Assimil course (there's a French version). It's really all you need to learn how to read in Catalan. It's only 70 lessons, but the last half of the book gives you progressively longer lessons (some of the recordings are over 7 minutes long, compared to the usual minute and a half for Assimil lessons). Though the Assimil French site says the course is 100 lessons, so maybe it's a different course. If you want to work on your Catalan some more after that i highly recommend the free Parla.cat website. Also, for a more active Catalan learner's forum check out the Unilang Catalan forum. People regularly post there in Catalan, including native speakers and a few people with a really high level of Catalan/Valencian.

Btw, you should be able to click on your link in the quote in my post. But you didn't really think the forum was smart enough to differentiate between external and internal links, did you? ;)

Lastly, for a fun novel that shouldn't be too difficult for you after getting through Assimil, i'd recommend "L'últim home que parlava català" by Carles Casajuana.

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4413 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 32 of 117
16 January 2015 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
I kept checking the 2015 TAC general thread and didn't notice we had a team log open -.-''

Anyway, this is a link to my log. I wrote an introduction there, but I'm going to revise it soon as it dates back to two years ago. I don’t have a working computer at the moment, since both mine died at the beginning of January, so my presence on the board will be somewhat limited. This inconvenience is only temporary though since replacements are on their way.

tristano wrote:
sillygoose1 wrote:

I love to read and watch movies. Not only in foreign languages either. :) If anyone
ever needs recommendations for films or series in French, Spanish, or Italian, just
ask. I've been scouring the internet for decent material in these three languages for
awhile now and I've developed a pretty solid list.

Italian tv serie: Boris

I second tristano’s suggestion. I usually don’t like Italian TV series, but Boris is one of the few exceptions. The episodes are shorter than regular episodes and the series is very funny without being vulgar. If you like it be sure to check out the film as well.

Another well-made Italian series is Il Commissario Montalbano, based off the books by Andrea Camilleri. However, it may be a bit more difficult to understand since Sicilian dialect is occasionally used.

As for French series, the only one I'm familiar with is Profilage. I do watch other series, either subbed or dubbed, but they are all English. @sillygoose1 I like crime series, so if you have some French-based suggestions I’d be happy to welcome them!

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version