justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4709 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 33 of 117
16 January 2015 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
Ave, Caseari!

I was going to skip TAC this year, but reconsidered after reading this thread. The most (only) successful TAC team that I was on was the Romantics team a couple years ago, so I was happy to see this one forming. And I also like Serpent's "drastic" rules on the first post. I think that will help a lot in keeping this a solid team. Also, I like the members!

With that: my target languages over the next year are Italian, French, and Spanish.

I've been working on French steadily since June 2011, and consider myself an independent learner at this point - I learn more from native materials than courses or works in translation. It took a lot of slow, steady work to reach this point. French is now my bench-mark language: when I get frustrated with other languages I look back on my old notes and remind myself that it can take years to reach a good level, and that doing a little bit each day really does add up.

Spanish is my most erratic language. I'll work on it intensely for four months in preparation for a trip, feel confident about where I'm at, not do anything for six months, then work at it again. Overall I've put a lot of effort into it (Assimil, 36 chapters of FSI, four levels of Assimil), and so the structure of the language seems imprinted in my brain, even if it takes a lot of work to reactivate it.

I've been working on Italian steadily since January 2014, and it will be one of my main focuses through the summer.

I think I'm at a point where I can work on Italian and Spanish at the same time, but ... we'll see.

My log is here:

Kanewai 2015

And some good resources that I like are here:

Audible - A good source for audio books, and the only place I know to buy affordable Pimsleur courses. I love Pimsleur, but think that it's way over-priced. You can buy it with credits on Audible, and it works out to about $60 per level. The only drawback is that the audible format doesn't work on mp3 players, though it works on an iPhone.

Mubi (subscription) - A great source for independent and foreign films. They curate 30 films at a time, adding and removing one per day. I've seen some trippy films that I would have never encountered otherwise - the site really likes their avant-garde filmmakers.

MHz Networks (free) - Streams foreign detective tv series. Right now it's all Nordic and German shows, but it's worth checking in each week; they've had good Italian and French shows in the past. It's an American site, so folks in other countries might need to use some internet magic to watch.

DramaFever Latino (subscription) - Latinos know their drama. Lots of shows from Spain, Mexico, and Argentina featuring killer women, doomed lovers, and ninja warriors fighting the Holy Inquisition. You can watch the first episode of each series for free.

Edited by kanewai on 16 January 2015 at 9:47pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4456 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 34 of 117
16 January 2015 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
suzukaze wrote:
I like crime series, so if you have some French-based suggestions I’d be happy to welcome them!

Engrenages
Braquo
Flics
Profilage
Les Dames
19-2 (Quebecois)
Les hommes de l'ombre
Les Beaux Mecs
Les Bleus, les premiers pas dans la police
Mafiosa
Mensonges (Quebecois)
No limit
Omerta (Quebecois)
Unite 9 (Quebecois)
1 person has voted this message useful

Meddysong
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 3427 days ago

56 posts - 84 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, French
Studies: Italian, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 35 of 117
17 January 2015 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Crush. It's just dawned on me that it might come across as though I'm ignoring you. I've "liked" your posts but, of course, the forum won't indicate to you who did.

Crush wrote:
If all you want to do is to be able to read in Catalan then the only course you need is the Assimil course (there's a French version). It's really all you need to learn how to read in Catalan.

I'll bear it in mind - thanks for pointing it out to me :)

Quote:
But you didn't really think the forum was smart enough to differentiate between external and internal links, did you? ;)

No comment!

Quote:
Lastly, for a fun novel that shouldn't be too difficult for you after getting through Assimil, i'd recommend "L'últim home que parlava català" by Carles Casajuana.

Ace - thanks! And the good news is I understood all of the description on Amazon except for one little bit: " ... i no se'n vol anar del pis on viu abans d'acabar la novel·la que està escrivint ..."

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4422 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 36 of 117
17 January 2015 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
sillygoose1 wrote:

Engrenages
Braquo
Flics
Profilage
Les Dames
19-2 (Quebecois)
Les hommes de l'ombre
Les Beaux Mecs
Les Bleus, les premiers pas dans la police
Mafiosa
Mensonges (Quebecois)
No limit
Omerta (Quebecois)
Unite 9 (Quebecois)

Thanks a lot sillygoose1, I'll be sure to check them out!

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5056 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 37 of 117
18 January 2015 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
Hummm... I knew I shouldn't have read this thread. Now I'm considering signing up. But of course I only do 2 Romance languages and I don't have any interest in taking up any more rods to beat myself with. :)

So tell me good friends. What is the difference between the TAC for Romances and what I'm already doing? I read all your logs anyway, and I write in mine for the Super Challenge. I'm kinda lost on what a TAC is exactly.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6417 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 38 of 117
18 January 2015 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
Well, the difference is that if you join, the others be required to read your log too ;D win-win!

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4422 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 39 of 117
27 January 2015 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
Hey all!

Proper introduction now that I've got my computers back.

My study experience with Spanish is limited to three years during my Bachelor degree at university, taking both language and literature classes. I never used courses or other kind of study material after graduating, but only focused on native material; mainly documentaries, cartoons and books. This year I simply want to maintain my previous study plan; watch films and read some books in order to keep the language alive.

With French I'm planning to make some substantial progress and improve in my current weak areas, which are the active ones; speaking and, even more, writing. During my first year of self-study I relied on Pimsleur and Assimil, I then moved to native material to boost my comprehension skills. This year I would like to do more textbook work and speak to natives/advanced learners, as well as continuing to watch videos and read books.

I hardly use Facebook, but I do have both a Twitter and Skype account. Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like to add me :)

nikolic993
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3600 days ago

106 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English
Studies: Italian, Mandarin, Romanian, Persian

Message 40 of 117
27 January 2015 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
My Log.

Ciao a tutti!

I'm Aleksandar, 21 years old, from Serbia. I've been studying Italian for a little under a year and a half now. I also started learning Romanian a couple of weeks ago because my mom is Romanian.

Italian goals:
Reach C1 speaking level in the next 3-5 years.

Romanian goals:
Short term goal: Be able to converse with my mom about everyday topics.
Long term goal: Reach full native fluency before 30.

Methods for both languages:
Assimil and Colloquial Series.
Speaking with friends and family.
Listening to podcasts and watching movies.
Reading books. (Intensive and Extensive reading)
Listening to music and translating lyrics.

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version