Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 6846 days ago

1394 posts - 1412 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 105 of 184
08 February 2006 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
That is impressive indeed, much more than Pimsleur :)
How long do/did you study each day with Assimil?
And in blocks or all at once?
1 person has voted this message useful

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6904 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French

Message 106 of 184
08 February 2006 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
I have found New French with Ease also has about 20-30 new words per lesson at 16 weeks for a total of 2000+ words.
tuffy wrote:

How long do/did you study each day with Assimil?
And in blocks or all at once?

My father’s French with Ease published in the 60’s compared learning a language to learning a song. They compared times when you can remember verses of a song you have heard -- but you can’t remember when and where you heard it. If you hear a new song today you would be able to remember it a few minutes later, but would forget it by tomorrow. But if you listen to the new song a few days in a row you would start to know it by heart.

The 1960’s edition gave this advice to using Assimil.

Start each lesson with a review of the last 4 lessons.

On the passive wave
1 Read and Listen
2 Read each line -- out loud
3 Repeat each line from memory -- out loud (this step is more difficult and helps more than you would think)

On the active wave
Repeat steps 1-3 and
4 Recreate each line from English (or the base language)

The way I use Assimil is to simply do step 1 on the passive wave and steps 2-4 on the active. I usually divide Assimil into blocks of 1-2 weeks of lessons and repeat then over a period of a week and then move on. This method supports interruptions better. Most days I study only 20 minutes a day, some days over an hour some days none at all.

My only complaint with Assimil French is that I find it extremely difficult to pronounce. Without a listen and repeat exercises for each lesson, I find that I have to listen to a lesson -- on and off -- for about a month before I can begin to pronounce it correctly. Once I have the sound mastered I can complete a weeks worth of lessons active style in less than an hour.

3 persons have voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6755 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 107 of 184
08 February 2006 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
fanatic wrote:
The Assimil Italian Without Toil has 140 lessons. This is equivalent to 20 weeks, or about 5 months. At the rate of 125 words per week you would learn 2,500 words by the end of the course.

In terms of currently available products from Assimil, in whatever base language, would the "Italian with Ease" course alone take you to 2500 words, or only when combined with the advanced course? If the former, where would both halves of the course take one in terms of vocabulary?

Also, on the method itself. Just from the discussion and the description of the method, I am under the impression that Assimil versus Pimsleur/FSI may well boil down to whether we are talking about a language learning novice or someone who already has a few languages under the belt.

I am not sure someone on his or her first or even second foreign language can really tear through Assimil at the pace you suggest, so the 2500 words will take a good deal longer to absorb, and quite possibly the first 700 or so will not be absorbed any faster, and not necessarily better, than with a Pimsleur course.

At the same time, for a sufficiently experienced learner Pimsleur's pace must be well-nigh unbearable, unless there are special places to use it, like a treadmill, while driving, etc., and (s)he would want to use another, more intensive, approach outside those special places.

Edited by frenkeld on 08 February 2006 at 12:04pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kveldulv
Italy
Joined 6765 days ago

222 posts - 244 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Italian*

Message 108 of 184
08 February 2006 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday I gave a look to Assimil Finnois sans peine and it seems it teaches you less than 1500 words. I won't probably study Finnish until I'm fluent in some other language, but I wonder if there are other languages so "discriminated".

Al-Malik
Bilingual Heptaglot
United Kingdom
arabicgenie.com
Joined 6946 days ago

221 posts - 294 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German*, Spanish, Arabic (Written), Dutch, French, Arabic (classical)
Studies: Mandarin, Persian

Message 109 of 184
08 February 2006 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
Kveldulv wrote:
Yesterday I gave a look to Assimil Finnois sans peine and it seems it teaches you less than 1500 words. I won't probably study Finnish until I'm fluent in some other language, but I wonder if there are other languages so "discriminated".

It seems to me that Arabe sans peine only teaches you as many words as other Assimil courses if you purchase tome 2 as well. Maybe the same is true for other "difficult" languages such as Chinese?

braveb
United States
languageprograms.blo
Joined 7009 days ago

264 posts - 263 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 110 of 184
08 February 2006 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
I think the harder languages would have to present fewer lessons. I pretty much gave up on the english version of Arabic with ease. I'll come back to it someday :)

How many of you create flashcards for every new lesson you do? I plan on doing this for Hebreu sans peine mainly because of the many words I have to look up in a Hebrew dictionary. My French isn't advanced enough to read the grammar notes and such.

Isn't this what Barry Farber suggested: Once the "core vocab" is learned, and if the target article isn't too advanced, just go through each word and use the dictionary to find out the unknowns? Funny thing is that I seem to remember the words better when having to look them up rather than just glancing on the other page for the definition.

The only problem is finding audiobooks in Hebrew. I can find plenty of modern novels, but no audiobooks. I think the closest thing would be just watching a film with subtitles.

Edited by braveb on 08 February 2006 at 2:43pm

tuffy
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 6846 days ago

1394 posts - 1412 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German

Message 111 of 184
08 February 2006 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the great tips!
I have saved it all to a word document so I can re-read it when I start with the courses.

Appart from whether I'm going to do Assimil or FSI first, what do you recommend? In 2 weeks time I will finish Pimsleur 3. I know there are some words and forms I have forgotten a little. Should I spend 1 or 2 weeks on a quick refresh course Pimsleur? Or should I pick up one of the big courses next. I gues for a QUICKER result (and that is what I need) I'd better forget about Pimsleur then for a while right?

robpom
United States
Joined 6728 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Studies: English

Message 112 of 184
08 February 2006 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
Can someone tell me the difference between these two (except for the price)

http://www.multilingualbooks.com/assimeng.html

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/2700510704/sr=1-1/qid=11394 31760/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-2740980-9319263?%5Fencoding=UTF8

This discussion contains 184 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version