FXcuisine.com
Joined 7188 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 184
04 May 2005 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
Malcolm, my observations are based on 'Le Serbo-Croate sans peine' with audio CDs.
1 person has voted this message useful

Alex
Germany
Joined 7000 days ago

29 posts - 31 votes

Message 18 of 184
04 May 2005 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
I found a page with some interesting statements about Pimsleur and Assimil (recommending to use the latter in a way similar to what Ardaschir described in detail somewhere else in this forum):

http://www.ifrance.com/zzorglub/learnlanguagesitsfun.htm.

Edited by Malcolm on 04 May 2005 at 3:54pm

Seth
Diglot
Changed to RedKing’sDream
United States
Joined 7036 days ago

240 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Persian

Message 19 of 184
04 May 2005 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
The addition of cultural information aside, I'm afraid my original question has still not been answered.

WHAT about the Assimil method is so different from any of the other one's out there?? I understand that the man Assimil himself may have been a great linguist, but that is beside the point.

I have rerecorded all of the dialogs in a living language course, which turns out to be about two hours of solid material in the target language. How is that any different? There is also plenty of grammatical and cultural information to boot.

I admit that I have never used an Assimil course, but so far the real "value" of it seems to lie in Aradaschir's method of shadowing dialogs, not anything in the Assimil dialogs per se.

I stand ready to be corrected.

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7188 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 184
04 May 2005 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
Seth, I think there is quite a lot of material in this thread to answer your question. You can ask specific questions which you wish compared, such as "number for words in Assimil versus Pimsleur" to ensure a satisfying answer.

Seth
Diglot
United States
Joined 7036 days ago

240 posts - 252 votes 

Message 21 of 184
04 May 2005 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
I'm sorry, but I must poitely disagree. The question has not been adequately answered--either that or I was misunderstood originally.

1.) Malcolm's criticism that there was not as much recorded material is wrong, as I have "cut out the gaps" and found that it is almost two hours of material--much like the Assimil course.

2.) The fact that it Assimil contains cultural information is beside the point--other courses do anyway.

3.) Aradaschir only said "they are not the same." Well....how? He then added Assimil himself went around picking up pieces of language. That says nothing about the way the Assimil program works.

I am talking about methodology. For example, if some one asked "What is so different about Pimseleur?" I would respond by saying, "Whereas most other programs center around flat repetition, the Pimsleur programs are based are Integrated Recall and Antcipation Response."

Once again, so far it seems the real discovery is the shadowing of dialogues in general. Besdies, if Assimil is unnaturally slow, then why would those be the best?

Edited by Malcolm on 04 May 2005 at 4:14pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Malcolm
Triglot
Retired Moderator
Korea, South
Joined 7127 days ago

500 posts - 515 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 22 of 184
04 May 2005 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
Seth, I'm also using Living Language Ultimate Japanese, and after editing out all the non-dialogue audio, there's only 40 minutes of audio (1 minute per lesson). The speakers talk at a much faster speed, so there's a lot packed into these 40 minutes. I have nothing negative to say about the Living Language Ultimate series, but if I had to make a choice, I'd choose Assimil. Assimil simply covers more vocabulary. Also, Assimil gives the option of learning the writing system from day 1 (for Chinese and Japanese). This doesn't mean that Assimil is any different fundamentally from the other dialogue-based courses, but rather that it goes further because of the vocabulary and total hours of audio.

Also, keep in mind that Ardaschir has already said that it's not necessarily Assimil that he's praising, but the method of shadowing bilingual books with recordings in the target language. Assimil and Linguaphone just happen to be his favourites for the reasons he's described.

Edited by Malcolm on 04 May 2005 at 4:19pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

jradetzky
Triglot
United Kingdom
geocities.com/jradet
Joined 7019 days ago

521 posts - 485 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, GermanB1

Message 23 of 184
04 May 2005 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
For those who have never seen an Assimil course, please take a look at this website for Assimil French for Russian Speakers. The texts for the lessons are on the left column while the MP3 are on the right. A Frenchman called Laurent made this page for teaching his language to Russians

Seth
Diglot
United States
Joined 7036 days ago

240 posts - 252 votes 

Message 24 of 184
04 May 2005 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
Malcolm, they must really differ. The Russian version is between 1.5 and 2 hours of audio.

I should mention that the administrator's point of both word-for-word and standard translations is a good one.

This discussion contains 184 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version