United States
Joined 6755 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 145 of 184
20 February 2006 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
What are your experiences on Assimil versus FSI for preventing fossilized non-native grammatical patterns?
It seems to me, that the pattern drills of FSI would help one not to develop these non-native speaking patterns. Some in the field lament the communicative approach for this problem.

Extra drills may help eliminate some of the more typical errors up front, although a motivated learner may be able to accomplish this by other means, but since you are talking about long-time residents, I can't imagine any course being able to take care of all the eventualities of usage and all the finer points of grammar for someone who will continue living "in the language" for the rest of his or her life. Something else is needed for that final polish.

My notion of a good way to assure (near) perfection is a 3-step process (it's just a sketch, of course):

(1) Go back to basics, and (re)read an advanced reference grammar, not turning your nose up at reviewing even the more elementary stuff. Take mental note of all the surprising discoveries and things you find you don't know as well as you thought you did.

(2) Then take a writing course with a teacher, where you write and have your teacher correct your compositions, all the while consulting reference works regarding the errors made, until there are none. You also discuss your errors with the treacher when stumped, of course.

(3) Then you do the same with a tutor with whom you converse and who catches your remaining speaking errors.

All the while, watch your speech and writing while you are undergoing this process, internalizing what you've been learning.

Of course, it's still a good idea to arrive to an intermediate/early advanced stage of language knowledge with the minimum of errors in one's oral and written production, regardless of the fact that you plan to get rid of them later anyway, and in this drill-based courses do seem to do well. It is those truly final steps that may need a more academic approach.

Edited by frenkeld on 20 February 2006 at 11:29pm

1 person has voted this message useful

maxb
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6995 days ago

536 posts - 589 votes 
7 sounds
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 146 of 184
21 February 2006 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
I have had an opportunity to look at the books for Assimil Chinese now and I would definetely say that it is a better choice than modules 1-6 of the Standard Chinese course. It teaches more words than those modules and the words it teaches are more useful. So unless you are dying to learn words like "section chief", "naval officer" and "travel permit" (which is not needed in china nowadays), my advice is to go with Assimil and then do modules 7-9 of the standard chinese course which are more vocabulary intensive. Furthermore I don't agree that Assimil is more demanding. How demanding is it to listen to a 2 minute lesson over and over? With the standard chinese course you have 2.5 tapes to listen to for each lesson.
So you need to spend at least 2 and a half hours for each lesson in this course. Probably more if you want to get the sentences down perfectly. If you edit the Assimil lesson to only contain the dialouge it will probably only last a minute. So if you spend 30 minutes a day you will be able to listen to the lesson 30 times. If you have an mp3 player with a loop function this is not a problem. This in my view is a much more convient way to study than the standard chinese course. Listening to an FSI lesson more than two times is quite frustrating. Note that these recommendations apply to the Standard Chinese course only. Other FSI courses may teach more useful vocabulary.

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6958 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 147 of 184
21 February 2006 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
What are the Assimil courses you are using? You say you will edit the lesson to only dialogue and you will halve, or more than halve, its length. What else is on the recording apart from the dialogue? Do you mean pauses on the recordings for you to answer? None of my courses have pauses.

I have some of the new Assimil courses and the lessons are all dialogue from the book. Nothing else.

What does frustrate me is the repetition of each sentence for the first three lessons. For that reason, I don't review the first week's lessons because they are slow and because of the repetition.

A few people have commented on editing the recordings and I think someone did say they edited out the pauses. None of my programs have pauses or any other material on the recordings. I have courses with cassettes and with CDs but I convert them all to mp3 files.

I would be interested to learn just what you mean.

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6915 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 148 of 184
21 February 2006 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
I'm assuming this is a reference to the spoken Exercises which have prompt + pause.

I have also thought about editing the audio to place these on a different track since I often want to repeat the main dialogue several times whereas I rarely do through the exercises more than once or twice.

Andy.

maxb
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6995 days ago

536 posts - 589 votes 
7 sounds
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 149 of 184
21 February 2006 at 6:20am | IP Logged 
fanatic wrote:
What are the Assimil courses you are using? You say you will edit the lesson to only dialogue and you will halve, or more than halve, its length. What else is on the recording apart from the dialogue? Do you mean pauses on the recordings for you to answer? None of my courses have pauses.

I have looked at the "Chinesich ohne Mühe". In the first lesson the dialouge is said two times. First very slowly with pauses and then a bit faster. Apart from the dialouge the excersises (comprehension and sentence completion) are also recorded. I haven't used the course myself (and do not plan to either because I already know most of the vocabulary and grammar) so I do not know if this will be disturbing or not.

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6812 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 150 of 184
21 February 2006 at 6:47am | IP Logged 
Sir Nigel wrote:
Stefanie, Pimsleur is more basic than Assimil and likely won't teach a whole lot if you've covered Assimil.

I've used with great pleasure and satisfaction Pimsleur Portuguese (brasilian)Italian, Spanish, and Assimil for the same languages.
Assimil is more comprehensive, by far.
But with Assimil, you have to open the book, while with Pimsleur, you hust listen understand repeat or reply. You can walk around, drive etc... Pimsleur is very rewarding.
Assimil goes way further and beyond the survival skills.
What I do is use 3 version of Assimil books one and a previous pone, this increases vocabularu and engraves more of the grammar in your brain. FOr Brasilian portuguese there is only one veesion available, so I now started Portuguese from ...portugal: it educates my ear to another (useful) pronunciation but I sstill repeat converting to Brasilian pronunciation. When I'm over with bokks number One, I'll proceed to books number 2 (perfectionnement).

rafaelrbp
Pentaglot
Brazil
Joined 6825 days ago

181 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Spanish, English, French, Italian
Studies: German

Message 151 of 184
21 February 2006 at 7:13am | IP Logged 
I used to edit Assimil's tape (Goldwave function: reduce silences to half a second).

Then I could listen to the lessons in a random or straight order, over and over again.

It's 2 hours for Spanish lessons 8-109 (the first seven repeats two times, so I had excluded them). The said thing is that I had to heard "Ejercicios" dozen of times.

When I get serious in learning French, I'll first listen to all Assimil lessons (without speaking), and then shadow it once, and after that I'll read and try to learn what is being said exactly. Good method?!

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6958 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 152 of 184
21 February 2006 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
You are quite right. I have been playing my old Assimil recordings and they have no pauses. I can't believe that I had forgotten that three of my Assimil programs have pauses to repeat the exercises.

I actually only have three new Assimil With Ease programs. Two of these are for French and one is for Dutch. I have two new French programs because I upgraded my French With Ease from the Internet.

I have been playing the old French Without Toil recordings I made from phonograph records where space was a premium and they had no pauses anywhere, not even recording all of the exercises.

I intend to revise both language programs shortly and I will edit out the pauses. What is the Goldwave function?

My Russian recordings with exercises expects you to ADD the pauses. This was so they could get the maximum information on the minimum number of recordings. I simply left them as they were, although I do try some of the exercises without the pauses.

This discussion contains 184 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version