speedmathematics.com
Joined 6958 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 57 of 184
28 June 2005 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
braveb wrote:
Fanatic, I remember you saying you memorize the dialogues. How long would it take for you to memorize 1.5 minutes of dialogue?

I don't memorize the dialogues, although, with so much repetition I find I do remember many parts of the course. I have always tried to make the learning process as simple and easy as possible.
1 person has voted this message useful

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6904 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 58 of 184
29 June 2005 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
sanjoy wrote:

In school in America I had taken French for five years, to what would be O-level in the old British system. When I went to France I could hardly talk to anyone and could not understand anything except a few signs; holding a conversation was hopeless.

...In the fourth week everything clicked, and I could talk and understand everything in conversation and perhaps 70% in movies. My level was roughly R4.W4.S7.U6.

I give a lot of credit to the Assimil method for getting me to a basic conversational level in 2-3 months, and a lot of credit to the Alliance Francaise course and the teacher for the rest. Traditional school language teaching is so inefficient. I think the main problem is the lack of speaking. The effort in forming sentences, even if they are other people's sentences, gives the mind (or at least my extroverted one) a feel for the language far more than reading, grammar exercises, or mere listening can.

I had a very similar experience at the Goethe Institute leaning German about 8 years ago. German was my first foreign language and at the time I had not even heard of shadowing or Assimil, but starting using it by in part by accident and part by design. I took two – two-month intensive courses between Nov 1996 and March 1997. The first course was my “passive phase” where I soaked up everything in German during classes where the instructors had a way of introducing words and structure in a way that you absorbed it. In the afternoons I went to the language lab where I first tried the written grammar drills, but the audio lab looked more fun; so I listened and to the full “Alles Gute” series (an all German video course) and “shadowed” for the fun of it -- to my surprise I started learning grammar. Next I started watching “The Name of the Rose”, in German, over and over again. At that time, I had seen it in English so many times that I had parts of the English memorized. I listened to those parts until slowly the German sounds and vocabulary started sinking in. In that way I used the Assimil method by accident. My class also had a big party group and they saved me from more bad study habits by talking me into just having one beer every night (which of course turned into a lot more), so rather than learning German by the phonebook I learn by speaking.

My second course was my “active phase”.   During the Christmas holidays I spent it with some German friends and it was if something clicked and suddenly I could think in German. In that two-week period I went from a beginner-speaker to a proficient speaker. During the second course my instructor had me shadow German in class whenever he heard me make a pronunciation error.   Classmates joined in and did the same thing. This part was by design because they got tried of hearing me speak German with something that sounded like a Texas accent. The results were amazing, somewhere around month 3 another wave of German intonation hit me and I started losing my “Texas” accent. (I actuality from South Carolina)

I could measure my progress with the remarks I got from native German speakers when I spoke to them in German. I first I got (in English) you really have a typical American accent, you sound JR on Dallas; I knew I was getting better when people started asking (in English), "Are you from the US or the UK?" And finally my moment of pride when Germans started asking, in German, “Are you Dutch?”. When I told them no I’m American I would get a responses such as, “But that is incredible most American just don’t German that well [if at all]”. If they tried speaking English to me before they stopped. It really was an incredible moment for me, but not to brag too much, the fact that I’m 6’5’’ with blue eyes probably helped in their misconception. At the end of the course I passed my ZDF (Cert of German as a Foreign Language) with ease, and all without one single note card.

Thanks everyone for all the information on FSI versus Assimil. I just bought “French with Ease” and checked out Barron’s French FSI from the library to compare. I was impressed with FSI course, but Assimil reminds me of the way I learned German but without all the hit-n-miss efforts I had while learning German. I am planning on staying with Assimil for French.

Edited by Farley on 01 January 2006 at 8:37am

2 persons have voted this message useful

ducr
Canada
Joined 6906 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: French

Message 59 of 184
30 June 2005 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
Farley wrote:
I took two – two-month intensive courses between Nov 2006 and March 2007.

Oh my god! I just woke up! What year is this? ;-)

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6904 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 60 of 184
30 June 2005 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
ducr wrote:
Farley wrote:
I took two – two-month intensive courses between Nov 2006 and March 2007.

Oh my god! I just woke up! What year is this? ;-)

Sorry 1996-1997

braveb
United States
languageprograms.blo
Joined 7009 days ago

264 posts - 263 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 61 of 184
05 July 2005 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
How many lessons would one need to use the French Based Assimil programs? Would completing the 110 lesson in "New French With Ease" be enough to learn Latin or Greek Assimil? Or would something around 50 lessons be enough?

braveb
United States
languageprograms.blo
Joined 7009 days ago

264 posts - 263 votes 
Studies: German, French

Message 62 of 184
05 July 2005 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
And were any of you successful in doing more than one lesson a day?

omicron
United States
Joined 6933 days ago

125 posts - 132 votes 

Message 63 of 184
06 July 2005 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
Quote:
How many lessons would one need to use the French Based Assimil programs?

50 lessons would not be enough. I think you could give it a try after completing the first book, but I think you'd really want to get through the second book as well. You need both books to cover all the tenses, not to mention all the extra idioms and vocabulary.

Even with both books done, you'd still need a French dictionary since the vocabulary is different. I went through about half of Russe Sans Peine several years ago and had to look things up several times.

1204grandine
Triglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 6999 days ago

88 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Catalan
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Greek

Message 64 of 184
17 July 2005 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
Now i've ordered Assimil course of Greek(in Italian).

This discussion contains 184 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version