Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Fate of HTLAL

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
178 messages over 23 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 ... 22 23 Next >>
Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5866 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 81 of 178
28 July 2015 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
@emk:

Thanks for answering. I know you must have a lot on your plate right now.

I do agree with you that he deserves that opportunity. I also acknowledge that, when he got your message, he immediately took action. So, there's a silver lining and a real chance of success.

In any case, and not forgetting the 540k posts it contains, we must also acknowledge that, until some important decisions are made, this forum is far more paralysed (strong word intended) than it was a fortnight ago. And that's an important factor.

EDIT: I (and many others) are still here. Given proper conditions, most people posting on the "emergency" forum would rather be here, too. I'm sure of that.

Edited by Luso on 28 July 2015 at 3:10pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6357 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 82 of 178
28 July 2015 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
Given proper conditions, most people posting on the "emergency" forum would rather be
here, too. I'm sure of that.

Except those proper conditions haven't been in place for a while and the site has not evolved as it should.
(Even the copyright on this post reply page dates from 10 years ago....). Web wiz forums released version 11
in 2014 and we are on version .... 7.9.

Plus the policy to hamper search for non-members is particularly short-sighted.

Do you know of any other healthy site where a thread this long would exist with the conspicuous absence of
the admin?
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5337 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 83 of 178
28 July 2015 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
zenmonkey wrote:
Plus the policy to hamper search for non-members is particularly short-sighted.

You're not missing anything. :-) You can Google "site:how-to-learn-any-language.com thing I want to search for" and you'll get much better results than the built-in site search.

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6357 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds

Message 84 of 178
28 July 2015 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:
Plus the policy to hamper search for non-members is particularly short-
sighted.

You're not missing anything. :-) You can Google "site:how-to-learn-any-language.com thing I want to search
for" and you'll get much better results than the built-in site search.

And I use that - but things like clicking on my own profile and clicking on my own posts and then I can only
see my last 10 posts?! It is basic stuff like that....that says enough to me. Premium membership is about
adding value - NOT about hampering basic forum capability. This type of function-jacking to force payment is
what drove me away last time, after being a long-time paying member.
4 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5067 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 85 of 178
28 July 2015 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
Luso, my friend, and emk you are exactly right. FX does deserve a chance to make things right. I sure hope he takes that chance. It would be a shame to waste all that has been created here. The only way I see it happening is to merge the two sites into one and for FX to devolve day to day operational control. This is an opportunity for FX to retain his legacy and grow what he created into the best language related site on the internet.

If our entry articles were updated, our archive secure, new, modern software in place, management were responsive and transparent, I think we have a real chance to continue FX's legacy for years to come. If not... well, ... you're seeing it now. It's sad.
6 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5031 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 86 of 178
28 July 2015 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
Speaking of short sight... the bottom of the page says "Copyright 2015 FX Micheloud" -- Not that I don't agree changes (especially fixes and upgrades, basic functionality) would be very welcome, etc., though ;)

Kidding aside, as self-appointed guardian of the archives, I'll stay here in one form or another until the very end, whenever/if that comes.

As I still plan to remain more or less active in the community for some time, I'm pretty much tied to it, but if I had a word on this, I'd prefer not to have to split my attention, just like I'd prefer not to workaround buggy software.

I hope those 'words to the wise' above are heard by the parties involved, but for now I'll just keep waiting. Eventually FX will make some move, the mods will give up or report about their efforts to get to him, or I'll run out of patience with both. Given that the DNSs seem to be right again and the domain name is paid up for several more years, I'm guessing this will still be several months, or the next unforeseen emergency.

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6357 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds

Message 87 of 178
28 July 2015 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Well, the copyright statement was updated in the last hour... lol.

Whomever administers or addresses the future site(s) hopefully will spend some effort on managing the slow
decline of use of the site.

Edited by zenmonkey on 28 July 2015 at 5:02pm

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5772 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 88 of 178
28 July 2015 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
Yes, this is an uncomfortable situation for everyone involved.

Two forums is far from ideal. We really wanted to try to avoid that. When we set up the spare board, we were hoping to not need it. But we knew that the DNS was due to expire and no one had heard anything from the administrator in well over a year. So we prepared for the worst: a total loss. Ad we did lose it--only to get it back, without any further news.

I don't know how much longer we will be able to keep working this way. We have found out that the technical problems are even more extensive then we knew and we like finally being able to fix things, if not here, then elsewhere. We are still trying to reach the administrator, but we have had no answers for a very long time, and this forum is clearly failing. The best thing to do would have been to fix it a few years ago and that's no longer possible.

This discussion contains 178 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version