Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Fate of HTLAL

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
178 messages over 23 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 ... 22 23 Next >>
Donaldshimoda
Diglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 3895 days ago

47 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 121 of 178
10 August 2015 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
SladeWilson wrote:
iguanamon wrote:
This is very troubling to me and it should be to the
rest of the membership who care deeply about the forum, too. It means we are talking to
ourselves more and more. If we are not growing, we are dying. It's as simple as that.

We are living in the generation of wifi and smartphones. People are connecting while they are
on the go, and smalltalk through social media is the wave of the future. What this means is a
change for online communities. I don't think we're going to see a big increase. However, what
we can do is make a site mobile friendly. This is something that the forum software here
doesn't offer. But the software at the backup site is mobile friendly. Something to consider.
I think mobile friendly is the way to go, whether it be here or somewhere else.

no idea how things work, but the best solution would be "just" a forum compatible with
TAPATALK app..probably the fastest, the smartest and user friendly way to "live" a forum
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5031 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 122 of 178
10 August 2015 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
Donaldshimoda wrote:
SladeWilson wrote:
We are living in the generation of wifi and smartphones. [...] However, what we can do is make a site mobile friendly. This is something that the forum software here doesn't offer. But the software at the backup site is mobile friendly. Something to consider. I think mobile friendly is the way to go, whether it be here or somewhere else.

no idea how things work, but the best solution would be "just" a forum compatible with TAPATALK app..probably the fastest, the smartest and user friendly way to "live" a forum

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that Tapatalk thing is a smartphone application you use to browse forums when they don't work in your smartphone web browser.

OTOH I just fired up the browser in my smartphone (which I was more or less forced to use, so it's not a carefully chosen one) and pointed it to this very thread. I was somewhat (and somewhat not!) surprised to find out it displays just fine, so I don't really understand what all the mobile-related fuss is about.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6961 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 123 of 178
10 August 2015 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
I guess it wasn't exactly a "gradual reconstitution" of the community.
It looks like most everyone has ditched HTLAL.com for HTLAL.org.
Well, I'll be seeing you over there mostly.
This place has become sort of a ghost town.

Well, I wouldn't be so hasty. 222 members on .org and counting is hardly an exodus, and to be honest, the last substantive post that I made recently was in ScottScheule's thread about Hungarian nouns.

I'm still sitting on the fence, although the activity here does seem more subdued than what I'm used to. At least a few subforums though get at least a couple of new posts daily.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Donaldshimoda
Diglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 3895 days ago

47 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 124 of 178
10 August 2015 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
Donaldshimoda wrote:

no idea how things work, but the best solution would be "just" a forum compatible with
TAPATALK app..probably the fastest, the smartest and user friendly way to "live" a
forum

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that Tapatalk thing is a smartphone application you
use to browse forums when they don't work in your smartphone web browser.

It's much more than that...you don't use it because eventually your smartphone web browser
is not working, but because it's a powerfull tool to browse forums,get notifications and so
on..it is really faster and "smarter", and being a windows app as well, you can use it on
your pc/notebook too.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6425 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 125 of 178
10 August 2015 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
If FX allows someone else access to modernize this forum and fix the problems, I would love to stay here. I
don't want to see it die and I definitely don't want the information contained here to be lost. I think one of the
main reasons this forum is dying isn't that old members leave, that will always happen, but rather that new
people can't join. It seems many people have had to make multiple attempts to sign up before they are able
to get in. Even when they get approved by the moderators, they often don't receive a confirmation email or
they can't get into their account even after joining.

3 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4694 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 126 of 178
10 August 2015 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
I'm also on the fence. I'd prefer to stay here - I also like the design and look of
HTLAL, and the archives are incredible. They're a pain in the ass to search, but that
can be fixed.

But there are already things I like on the other site - I love being able to track
progress on the signature page, and I think that will also make participating in
challenges much easier. I like how much easier it is to add hyperlinks and images. I
like how easier it is to look at someone's posting history.    I like how forum topics
are organized. I like how easy it is to track discussions. I like that there isn't a
limit to how many posts I can see at one time. The only things I don't like is the
lack of history and depth.

It's so much more user-friendly over there. It's tempting for me just to switch. As
it is, I've been hesitant to do in depth posts in either.

aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5346 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 127 of 178
11 August 2015 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
Donaldshimoda wrote:
SladeWilson wrote:
We are living in the generation
of wifi and smartphones. [...] However, what we can do is make a site mobile friendly. This is
something that the forum software here doesn't offer. But the software at the backup site is mobile
friendly. Something to consider. I think mobile friendly is the way to go, whether it be here or
somewhere else.

no idea how things work, but the best solution would be "just" a forum compatible with TAPATALK
app..probably the fastest, the smartest and user friendly way to "live" a forum

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that Tapatalk thing is a smartphone application you use to
browse forums when they don't work in your smartphone web browser.

OTOH I just fired up the browser in my smartphone (which I was more or less forced to use, so it's
not a carefully chosen one) and pointed it to this very thread. I was somewhat (and somewhat not!)
surprised to find out it displays just fine, so I don't really understand what all the mobile-related fuss
is about.

The issue is, among other things, that it's very very slow. I mean really - I can load Flickr, a site full of
images, on my phone faster than I can HTLAL and it's been that way for years. It isn't uncommon for
it to just timeout. This is especially an issue for people who doesn't have very fast internet (which
would be most of the people world wide as there are more people who have smartphones (with
internet access) than there are people with hardwired broadband connections).

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5139 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 128 of 178
11 August 2015 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
If FX allows someone else access to modernize this forum and fix the problems, I
would love to stay here. I
don't want to see it die and I definitely don't want the information contained here to be lost. I think one of the
main reasons this forum is dying isn't that old members leave, that will always happen, but rather that new
people can't join. It seems many people have had to make multiple attempts to sign up before they are able
to get in. Even when they get approved by the moderators, they often don't receive a confirmation email or
they can't get into their account even after joining.

I second that. And the discussion over at the new forum about rules of conduct make me extremely
uncomfortable. If we were to see the birth of a new forum I would have liked to see one which was more
flexible and with more free speech than this one. Not less.

9 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 178 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version