Finland
Joined 6411 days ago

109 posts - 118 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Finnish*

Message 41 of 141
27 January 2007 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
What's 21st in Finnish? I thought it's kahdeskymmenesensimmäinen, but read in that German textbook that it's kahdeskymmenesyhdes :/

Both. Kahdeskymmenesensimmäinen is the more "official" and almost always used in written language. Kahdeskymmenesyhdes is more colloquial and especially used when you're counting things, because it's shorter and thus faster to say.

Serpent wrote:
I think I understood these lines now:
vanhaan tapaansa tirkistää
kohti taivasta kuuhun
is vanhaan tapaansa same as vanhalla tavallansa?

Yes. "In her/his old manner", "as one has always done", something like that.

Serpent wrote:
still can't get this sentence though:(
Ladosta tulee, hankeen jää
harmaana uksen suuhun

A puny attempt to make a literal translation:
"Comes from the barn, stops in the snowdrift
grayly at the front of the door."

The someone walks out of the barn, wanders to the front of the door and stops there, in the snowdrift, appearing gray (or drab or dull if I try to interpret a bit).

I'm not sure whether the door is actually open or closed when saying "uksen suu" or "oven suu", but I think the door has to be open.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 42 of 141
27 January 2007 at 5:13am | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot.

Until now I didn't notice you'd posted a sound. Your voice is very pleasant *blush*
Perhaps I should post one too... I'm so afraid that my accent is horrible :/

Edited by Serpent on 27 January 2007 at 5:13am

gidler
Finland
Joined 6411 days ago

109 posts - 118 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Finnish*

Message 43 of 141
27 January 2007 at 7:50am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Until now I didn't notice you'd posted a sound. Your voice is very pleasant *blush*
Perhaps I should post one too... I'm so afraid that my accent is horrible :/

Thanks, I'm sure no one has ever complimented me on my voice before. :) And please do post a sound yourself. I once heard a native Russian speaker interpret into Finnish and the slight accent he had was beautifully soft, perhaps because of palatalization (liudennus).

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 44 of 141
27 January 2007 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
Never thought it would take me just a few hours to find the courage to do that :)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 45 of 141
28 January 2007 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Wow I've been told that my accent is rather slight and mostly my n's give me away as a non-native or a native who's been living in Russia for a long time... (very long..almost 17 years:D) and all I've done for my pronunciation is singing songs and shadowing Teach Yourself Finnish... it seems to be possible to reach somewhat good pronunciation through self-study, wow 0_0 Sorry, of course it's obvious for everyone else, Finnish is just the first language I'm studying on my own and it always seemed to me that pronunciation is exactly what can't be self-taught unless you have exceptional abilities.

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6682 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 46 of 141
29 January 2007 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
Very good accent I'd say. I couldn't hear any particular problem with the n-sound, though the double n in "onnea" could be a little more clearly double.

A couple of small things I notice: The first a in "sanoa" is a little too long, somewhere between single and double. Also "uo" in "suomea" is slightly too long and has a funny intonation (I think I hear the tone rising up somewhere at the beginning of the o, when I'd expect it to be falling). If you try to put more weight on the u-part, and almost none at all on o, I think you'd get an even more native-sounding result.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 47 of 141
29 January 2007 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot for the comments, now I at least know what exactly should I work on. the "almost double" a is mother tongue influence, sometimes I just fail to accent a vowel without making it longer :?

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6682 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 48 of 141
29 January 2007 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
gidler wrote:
Kahdeskymmenesyhdes is more colloquial and especially used when you're counting things, because it's shorter and thus faster to say.

I just noticed this and why not add that in rapid colloquial speech it might be even further abbreviated to "kaheskytyhes". I suppose you could even hear "kaheskyteka" though I don't think I'd use it myself.

Edited by Hencke on 29 January 2007 at 8:03pm

This discussion contains 141 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version