Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 9 of 77
05 August 2007 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
I also created a parallel text with Tour du Monde en 80 Jours. The translation is not as good as Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Since I started with 80 days before Journey, I'm more familiar with it. It seems worthwhile to try to get a good handle on both stories, especially since they are original French works and they have the same author, so the same idiolect.

I didn't study as much this weekend as I'd hoped. I didn't zip through both books, nor anything like that. I was a bit preoccupied. Even so, I think the few hours I did spend have been effective.

I visited the library and they had 80 days on CD. It's a different recording than the tapes I checked out a couple weeks ago. The narrator speaks a bit faster, which is handy, since my primary goal for listening to the English version is to pick up more details of the story in situations when I'm away from the bilingual text.

I created a bilingual playlist of 80 days/jours. It will play one chapter in English, then the French recording for that chapter will follow, English, French, over and over through the 37 chapters. The plan is to listen to this playlist while I'm at work next week.

I ran across an English recording of Rene Descartes Scientific Method at Guttenberg. They also have the book is available in English and French. Another website has the audiobook in French. Haven't looked at this yet. It was written in the 17th century, so the language may be a bit archaic. We'll see.

Edited by luke on 08 August 2007 at 6:14am

1 person has voted this message useful

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6880 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 77
05 August 2007 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Luke,

Thanks for the updates. I’m reading them with interest.

John

2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 11 of 77
06 August 2007 at 7:08am | IP Logged 
Farley wrote:
Thanks for the updates. I’m reading them with interest.

Will do.

I looked at the Descartes material last night and it looks promising. The translation appears to be quite literal. The recordings seem to match the books. I'll have to put a bit of time on the parallel text. Hmm, since the translation is so literal, I may be able to split the text on sentences, rather than paragraphs. That would make switching back and forth easier, because this Descartes work has long paragraphs.

Edited by luke on 06 August 2007 at 7:10am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 12 of 77
06 August 2007 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
I made a slight modification to the parallel text program so it can do the splitting on a per sentence basis. It's not perfect, and a fair bit of editing is necessary.

The translators of both the Rene Descartes paper and Don Quixote have a tendency to split very long sentences that contain semi-colons into separate sentences. Descartes appears to have a tendency to create one sentence that is half a page long. The good news, is that the translations at Guttenberg for both works are fairly literal. Since the sentences are long, and the translations were made hundreds of years ago, the language is a bit unusual though. Descartes paper is very personal, so I think once I get into it, I'll enjoy it. He was obviously a brilliant mathematician, but his philosophy of reason ended up having some conflicts with reality as she's understood today. There are probably some lessons there. At a minimum, I hope to enjoy his work and get to know him as a human being.

I listened to 80 Days/80 Jours at work and 80 Jours in the car. Tonight I went through a few more chapters with the bilingual text. Creating these texts does take a while, but when you think about how much material you end up with, it's not too bad.

I've been watching CCTV a bit lately. That's a Chinese channel that transmits mostly in French and Spanish. They have a fair bit of Chinese as well, including Chinese lessons. Chinese isn't on my agenda, but it is interesting to understand some of the news in French without much effort. I'm not saying I understand it all by any means, only that it isn't an incomprehensible jumble of sound. Occasionally I catch myself wondering, "is that French or Spanish?", which is nice because it means I'm understanding things.

I've also noticed at times my Spanish listening skills are sharpening, although I haven't been focusing on them now for a couple of weeks.

I really wish I had something more interesting than Jules Verne, but when I consider that I could be listening to dialogs about "at the airport", "at the restaurant", "at the doctor", and "in the classroom", I realize JV is not bad at all.

Edited by luke on 08 August 2007 at 6:16am

236factorial
Triglot
United States
Joined 6328 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 13 of 77
07 August 2007 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
I've been watching CCTV a bit lately. That's a Chinese channel that transmits mostly in French and Spanish. They have a fair bit of Chinese as well, including Chinese lessons. Chinese isn't on my agenda, but it is interesting to understand some of the news in French without much effort. I'm not saying I understand it all by any means, only that it isn't an incomprehensible jumble of sound. Occasionally I catch myself wondering, "is that French or Spanish?", which is nice because it means I'm understanding things.

I have the channel too (CCTV E&F). It will be a while before I'll be able to understand the news programs. the learn Chinese programs I can understand fairly easily, perhaps because there's the Chinese to aid me.

I don't get to watch the channel often because my parents are always watching CCTV-4 (a Chinese channel) instead, since their native language is Chinese.
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 14 of 77
07 August 2007 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
236factorial wrote:
The learn Chinese programs I can understand fairly easily, perhaps because there's the Chinese to aid me.

With an eastern and western language under your belt, you're way ahead of the game.

I didn't bring my mp3player to work today, so I didn't listen to my 80 day/80 jours playlist. That was a disappointment. I'm putting a bit of stock in that playlist as a story enrichment tactic. With no French at work, I listened to Don Quixote instead.

In the car, I listened to 80 Jours.

Tonight I listen-read several chapters of 80 Jours with my parallel text. A few days ago, I started with the font pretty small, so a lot of text fit on the screen. A couple of days ago, I bumped up the font size a couple of notches to make it a bit easier to switch back and forth between the texts. Just now I realized that if I bump up the font size another notch or two, keeping both texts in mind will be even easier.

I was tempted to revisit Le Petit Prince and do some simultaneous-listening tonight. I resisted, thinking:
ONE thing at a time.
Remember "The Last Samurai": "Too many minds: mind the sword, mind the people watch. No mind."
I haven't seen the movie nor read the book, but I guess that means don't get caught up in the 10,000 things.

After the current trip through the Tour du Monde, I may switch over to Journey to the Interior of the Earth. That will keep me in the Jules Verne idiolect, and I'll be able to take advantage of the better translation and more humorous story. If 80 days is humorous, it has largely escaped me. Journey, on the other hand had me laughing to myself as I was thinking about the comment the professor's students are said to have made about his long thin nose.

Side note: There are at least two English translations of Journey to the Center/Interior of the Earth. One is reasonably faithful, the other is not. The cassettes I checked out of the library last weekend were the unfaithful adaptation of the story, so the Librivox recordings will be my English support when the time comes.

One of these days L'Etranger will show up in the mailbox.   Amazon likes to sit on the order for a week or so to discourage cheapskates who choose free shipping. It would be nice to have Camus in parallel text, but I haven't seen any digital copies of it. I already have the paperback in English. Soon I'll have it in French too.

Edited by luke on 08 August 2007 at 6:19am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 15 of 77
08 August 2007 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Librivox put up a copy of Les Liasisons Dangereuses 3 days ago. I've only listened to the part of the first mp3, but it does feature Ezwa as one of the primary narrators. I know her voice well from the Jules Verne recordings, and she's my favorite. What a bonus.

There is a link to the French text on the page above. I haven't been able to find an English translation yet.

Another upside is that the story is a little less "adventurous" and I suspect there will be more character development, which I like.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 16 of 77
08 August 2007 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
Still no luck finding e-text for Dangerous Liaisons in English. If anyone knows where to find it, please let me know.

Didn't have the mp3player with me at work today, so no English/French Tour du Monde. I just listened in French. That's what I listened to in the car as well. Only listen-read one chapter tonight.

This discussion contains 77 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version