Diglot
United States
Joined 6998 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 57 of 77
16 June 2008 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
Hmm, I had a link to a French online class site that had a variety of lectures. The one that caught my eye had a pretty French professor teaching philosophy. Can't put my finger on it now. Assimil is helpful though. It fits good in with the "do a little each day" approach, which is helpful. Although I have watched a few FiA videos and think they are good and helpful, I don't get much tube time.

Did you do a lot of your language learning growing up watching TV?
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6998 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 59 of 77
23 November 2012 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
It seems like some members have been able to rename their learning log thread. I don't see that option, but I'm going to go ahead and revive this one.

Since years ago when I started it, I was talking about French, Spanish, English, and Esperanto all in this same thread, I'll use this as my "master" thread that talks at a higher level what I'm up to.

I'm actively studying French, Esperanto, Spanish and English.

My French Learning Log is talking mainly about using a Assimil French Without Toil and Using French, although it starts out with a bit more wandering to find the current path.

In the Esperanto thread I'm talking about using the Pasaporto al la Tuta Mondo videos and the Jen Nia Mondo radio/audio course.

My Spanish log hasn't been getting many updates lately. Spanish is still important to me, but I'm not giving it a lot of time. In the last month or so, SSL4YOU podcasts were my primary thing, but I've switched over to FSI Replacement Drills. Those are short, perhaps 6 minutes or so for a unit, and I have about 45 units worth of replacement drills. That should be good for a couple months of keeping that sort of automaticity in play.

For English, my native language, I'm shadowing The Federalist Papers which are awesome, have a great narrator, and eloquent thought put into words. I generally listen to one of these essays when I drive to work in the morning.

Back to the higher level, let me just talk about driving to work for a bit, and how I fit in language learning. Here is an example of what I might do.

Shadow 1 essay from the Federalist Papers ~ 15 minutes
Listen to a Jen Nia Mondo (Esperanto) lesson ~ 15 minutes
Listen to a few lessons from Using French ~ 10 minutes
FSI Basic Spanish Replacement Drills ~ 6 minutes

On the way home.
Listen and shadow 10-15 French Without Toil lessons. 10-15 minutes
FSI Spanish Replacement Drills again.
Listen to Jen Nia Mondo (Esperanto) dialogues.

That's just a rough idea. The main thing is to hit all 4 languages each day and only spend 5-20 minutes on any one of them at a time.

Of course there is studying at home, and the individual threads go into some details on what is happening there.

Edited by luke on 23 November 2012 at 3:27am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6998 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 60 of 77
29 December 2012 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
A quick summary of the last month:

French I've been marching forward a lesson per day in French Without Toil and Using French. I'm planning to add Assimil Business French and New French with Ease to the mix. In the odd times, I've started listen/reading Les Liaisons Dangereuses and some folk tales by the Brothers Grimm.

Esperanto I'm currently on my second trip through the Jen Nia Mondo course.

Spanish I've been spending about 10 minutes a day going through the FSI Basic Spanish substitution drills. I'm up to about lesson 22 of the 45 or so that have substitution drills. I also listen occasionaly to an SSL4YOU podcast. In Don Quixote, I've listen/read up to chapter 6.

English I'm around paper 37 of 84 in The Federalist Papers.

Edited by luke on 29 December 2012 at 12:19pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6998 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 61 of 77
06 March 2013 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
A quick summary of my work this year:

French I've been bringing up my French over the last several months primarily through three Assimil courses. I'm almost through the passive wave in French Without Toil, over half of the way into New French with Ease, and just about ready to finish my second trip through Using French. Read all about it in my Rush to France and French log.

Esperanto has been a focus lately. My Esperanto Front thread gives the details. I'm still primarily working with courses, but have started hitting some books and podcasts.

Spanish I've been spending about 10-15 minutes most days going through the FSI Basic Spanish substitution drills. I just finished this set of drills (lessons 3-45 + 49). I've just added the Variation drills to my thumb drive, which makes it my next goal. There are variation drills for lessons 3-45.

English I'm on essay 49 of 84 in The Federalist Papers. Lately, I've been shadowing one essay per week.

Edited by luke on 06 March 2013 at 7:06pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6998 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 62 of 77
16 August 2013 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
It's about 5 months since the previous post. What's been happening?

French - I finished up 2nd and 3rd passive waves through French Without Toil(FWT) . The last few lessons are of course the most challenging and when I return to that book down the road, I plan to start with lesson 140, the last lesson, and work towards the front of the book. In the meantime, I'll throw it in the background once in a while.

New French With Ease also wrapped up the 2nd passive wave - basically I didn't make a special effort to translate the lessons into French from English. This course is much easier than FWT. I'll probably run through it backwards again, but there will be less to get out of it. At this point, additional reviews of the book mainly have the goal of embedding the material deeper and more thoroughly in my mind.

Using French - I'm on Lesson 69 of 70 today. This completes my 3rd pass through the book. When I pick it up again, it will be to go from lesson 70 back towards the beginning.

Supplemental stuff is more difficult to categorize. The last few weeks, I've been listening to Sur La Liberte by John Stuart Mill. It's about 6 hours, so one could look at it as 2 Assimil courses. For me, the material is interesting, and it's helpful to work with some longer books now. I also listened to Utilitarianism by Mill. I'll come back to that one after I've spent more time with Sur La Liberte.

Business French - This Assimil course has been on the back burner and in background listening mode for quite a while. In a couple of days, it will take the place of Using French, so I'll use the book and audio every day.

Esperanto - I went to the ELNA North American Esperanto Congress this year. That was inspiring. Lately, I've been listening to mp3 podcasts from Svisa Radio. There are over 500 10 minute podcasts. These are read by a professor and his sidekick and they are meant to be informational.

I also got Lord of the Rings in Esperanto, but haven't been reading it much lately. French has really got my interest these days, but perhaps a trip to the local Esperanto Club will get me back on track.

Spanish - I finished up a trip through all the Variation Lessons from FSI Basic Spanish. These went with lessons 3-45 (of 55). The last 10 lessons don't have variations drills.

Next up on Spanish is La Aventura Del Pensamiento which is a series of 22 programs on various philosphers through the ages. I've listened to the first 2. They are about 25-30 minutes long. This is good for me because I enjoy philosophy. Having just worked with discipline through the FSI variation drills (only about 3-6 minutes per day) for the last several months, I'm ready for something more extensive.

English - I did finish The Federalist Papers a few weeks back. Now, I'm listening to On Liberty, by John Stuart Mill, which also supports my study of the same book in French. The Librivox recordings of On Liberty have at least one exceptionally good voice. The material is great too.

Edited by luke on 16 August 2013 at 11:12pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6998 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 63 of 77
30 October 2013 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
Shoot - lost my post. Quickly... This is all studying English works.
The Brothers Karamazov - about 1/3 of the way through this long book. Listen/Read with Librivox recordings which are mostly good.
Descent of Man - about 1/2 way through another long book.
Autobiography of John Stuart Mill - just read it on vacation.
Apology and Crito by Plato. Listen/read and read The Apology. Great solo recording at Librivox.
Introduction to Logic by John Stuart Mill - read the first 100 pages of this massive 2 book tome.

images.google.com and dictionary.com are both helpful at times for these books. images are really helpful with Darwin. They come in handy too for The Brothers.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6998 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 64 of 77
29 November 2013 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
I'm about 1/2 of the way through The Brothers Karamazov.

I'm in the final 2 recordings for Descent of Man, although I skipped the sections on Birds and Mammmals, which is about 6.5 hours of the 28 hour Librivox recording. Nothing against birds, but wanderlust is something to give heed to at times. Better to wander in a carefully developed tome about natural history than deep into a novel. When I finish Descent, I'll be careful to put some French in it's place, as that has been getting the squeeze from the 1/2 hour chapters in Descent and the double-whammy from The Brothers Karamazov.

Reading Don Quixote in English, I'm around chapter 8, where the Curate and Barber with the help of the Housekeeper and Niece are not being nice to Don Quixote's library. I misplaced my memory stick. I'd like to have 2 tracks of Don Quixote on it. One, where I'm at in my Spanish Listen/Read track, and one where I listen to the chapter I've recently read on the English track. I'd be listening to Don Quixote in Spanish in both cases. Next month, I'm sure I'll have that going on.

I've not been a newspaper reader much for many, many years, but I read a front page story from the New York Times that my wife may be interested in with her profession as we drive on Sunday's. I'm always pleased with how well written the articles are and the good old fashioned journalistic professionalism. I mention this because most of the other stuff I read was written or translated 100-250 years ago. Being more of a searcher on a quest for interesting ideas and perspectives tends to limit my "pleasure" reading. In some ways, I read like I work out. If it was easy, it wouldn't give the same satisfaction as a more challenging work. Maybe one day I will be calm and tranquil and get lost in some modern marvels.

There is a 3rd work accounting the death of Socrates. I made it about 1/6th of the way into Phaedo, but it's longer and life shifted. (I think I was on vacation when I started that one).

P.S., just wrapped up Descent this morning.

Edited by luke on 29 November 2013 at 1:39pm

This discussion contains 77 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version