Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 1 of 439
25 July 2012 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
TAC 2015 about three years after I started this log...

I'm going to be taking a trip to France in under 3 months. I hadn't been doing hardly any French for quite some time. I decided to change that about 3 days ago.

What am I working on? One track is Assimil New French with Ease. I've written out the first 5 lessons and basically studied the material. I plan to carry on with a lesson or 2 per day to make it through all the lessons in a first or second or some facsimile thereof wave.

Another book I'm using is See It & Say It in French by Margarita Madrigal and Colette Dulac. So far it's pretty quick going. I'm up to page 21 on day 2. There I'm also using http://translate.google.com/ to help with
the pronunciation. Not perfect, but better than a guess for sure.

Other materials I have include Le Petit Prince which I have from Frank Ilya's Reading Method.

I've also got Assimil Using French, which I'm sure I will get use out of.

Along with these items, miscellaneous listening to a familiar book in French while making breakfast.

Please wish me good luck!

Edited by luke on 02 January 2015 at 2:01am

5 persons have voted this message useful

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4315 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 2 of 439
25 July 2012 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
Bonne chance! ^_^
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 3 of 439
25 July 2012 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
ZombieKing wrote:
Bonne chance! ^_^

Merci beaucoup!
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 4 of 439
25 July 2012 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
One thing I notice with http://translate.google.com is that it seems to get the liason wrong. For example, the See It & Say It in French book shows a liason symbol between the s in "je vais" and the preposition "au", but translate.google.com doesn't get that correct in sentences such as:

Je vais au cinéma. Je vais au théâtre. Je vais au restaurant. Je vais au concert.

Similarly, the book shows liason between the s in vous and the preposition "au" in the following sentences, but google doesn't pronounce it. The book is correct, isn't it?

Allez-vous au cinéma? Allez-vous au théâtre? Allez-vous au restaurant? Allez-vous au concert?

translate.google.com seems to do okay with nouns, but I may be missing something. Does anyone know better?

Edited by luke on 25 July 2012 at 8:51am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 5 of 439
25 July 2012 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
This morning I wrote and studied lesson 8 in New French with Ease.
I also went through the phrases from pages 1-21 in See It and Say It, which I've saved off in a document to make it easy to paste them into translate.google.com.

I found my copy of Essential French Grammar by Seymour Resnick. This is a handy little book for quick review or to bring to my attention things to watch for. I zipped through the main points this morning. The book will stay in the bathroom where it can be reviewed briefly but regularly.

I also began listening to Le Petit Prince and reading along in the interlinear text by Frank Ilya (link in first post in this thread). It's a really delightful book, full of rich and subtle meanings.

Edited by luke on 25 July 2012 at 11:15am

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4995 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 439
25 July 2012 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
One thing I notice with
http://translate.google.com is that it seems to
get the liason wrong. For example, the See It & Say It in French book shows a liason
symbol between the s in "je vais" and the preposition "au", but translate.google.com
doesn't get that correct in sentences such as:

Je vais au cinéma. Je vais au théâtre. Je vais au restaurant. Je vais au concert.

Similarly, the book shows liason between the s in vous and the preposition "au" in the
following sentences, but google doesn't pronounce it. The book is correct, isn't it?

Allez-vous au cinéma? Allez-vous au théâtre? Allez-vous au restaurant? Allez-vous au
concert?

translate.google.com seems to do okay with nouns, but I may be missing something. Does
anyone know better?

I'm pretty sure that the liaisons in these cases are optional (which in practical terms
generally means only used in more formal speech) - either that or I've been getting it
wrong all that time!

Oh yeah, and good luck!

Edited by garyb on 25 July 2012 at 11:25am

4 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 7 of 439
25 July 2012 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
luke wrote:
See It & Say It in French shows a liason
symbol between the s in "je vais" and the preposition "au", but translate.google.com
doesn't pronounce one in sentences such as:

The book is correct, isn't it?

Does anyone know better?

I'm pretty sure that the liaisons in these cases are optional (which in practical terms generally means only used in more formal speech) - either that or I've been getting it wrong all that time!

Oh yeah, and good luck!

Thanks for clearing that up. I had no idea liaison was reflected in register, but that makes sense.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 8 of 439
26 July 2012 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
This morning I'm up to page 30 in See It & Say It in French. It contains about 800 words. Many of them are cognates.

Yesterday, I went about 1/2 way through Le Petit Prince with Frank Ilya's interlinear text. I listened to the rest of the story while driving. It's very helpful having the text.

I read the text but not the notes for lessons 1 and 2 in Using French. That will be my approach for the moment. I'll listen to the audio while commuting and use the book to help me understand what I've heard or am going to hear, but generally not at the same time for the near term.

I was thinking a news broadcast in simple French would be helpful, but haven't looked for one yet. There, I'd want one available in mp3 that I can download and listen to while commuting.

I also ordered Listen & Learn French CD edition. The reviews are mixed, but what drew me to it were these points:
1) Some said there wasn't much time to repeat the French. (to me that will just keep me on my toes)
2) Some said the accent was exagerated. (Good for me working on my accent).
3) Touristy phrases (Good for me, I'm going to France).
4) It was mentioned in Resnick's Essential French Grammar book. That's a minor plus, but perhaps I will find some synergy there.
5) Apparently there is a book to support the audio, but the two can of course be used independently, which will be useful while commuting.
6) Variety. I've always been drawn to the march down several parallel tracks at once, rather than doggedly persist in a single tough path (such as FSI French or doing French in Action according to the rules). My secret here is for the several paths to be very manageable in and of themselves. I also want each track to contribute in some way to progress with the lanugage. We'll see how this unfolds.

Current track progress:
Assimil New French with Ease: Lesson 8 of 113 written and studied.
See It & Say It in French: Page 30 of 254.
Assimil Using French: Read Lesson 2 of 70 (or so).
Le Petit Prince: Listen-Read first half.
Resnick's Essential French Grammar: High level read and skim for about 30 minutes.

Edited by luke on 26 July 2012 at 9:50am

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version