821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 377 of 439
01 January 2015 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Hey Luke,

Congrats on a really thorough year. In the 2nd French team you've been one of a handful
of us who has been very consistent all year round. You're also the one i'd say who's
closest in study mannerisms to mine. I'm not sure that's such a good thing, but I feel an
affinity with your approach as like you I like to use a lot of courses. I hope 2015 is
just as good for you. I'm sure you're noticing how far you've come. Good work!

PM

Thanks Peter, I enjoy reading about your progress as welll. I still remember your twenty minute or so
experience talking with an older French couple. I may not be clear on the details, but the feeling of
accomplishment was impossible to miss. Also, you've sat and passed a CEFR test, which is really awesome.

I also notice similarities in our approaches. We are the tortoises in this race of hares. Well, at least I am.

I agree. Too many mistakes taught me to become a tortoise. Speaking of random French conversations, I
struck up another with 3 French jeunes gens ici à Melbourne il y a quelques jours. 2 were from France one
from the island of Mauritius... as far as language goes the conversation lasted a whole 1 minute. There didn't
seem to be a lot to talk about and to be honest it wasn't the place for it, it would've felt forced like I was
holding them prisoner had I persisted. Turns out tho they live here and love the life in Melbourne (many
foreigners love Melbourne). It makes me wonder sometimes why I'm so enthused and drawn to Europe when
life here isn't so bad... ahh if only we spoke more languages here. Yes there are plenty of aboringal
languages and immigrant languages but it's not exactly what I mean. We have ONE official language, which
to me = boring. Canada might have issues with language dramas but at least French exists there, and the US
might have other kinds of issues (which shouldn't be written off at all) but at least as far as languages go
there is definitely more diversity - large pockets of other language speakers. I guess I could find Vietnamese
or Italian or even Greek here without much difficulty, but they're not the languages i'm currently studying or
intend to do so very soon. Anyway Luke, thanks again for the positive comments, I really appreciate it. :)

Fry a Frying pan, Peter Pan would
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 378 of 439
01 January 2015 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Today starts the New Year and the new TAC...

I've been thinking these "micro-challenges" could be lined up. E.G. watch cartoons for a day or an hour, then if you feel like switching, just note where you left off. Besides reducing boredom, this also allows for rotation in approach. Say I include transcribing NFWE in the list. Cycling through several activities, watching/listening, reading/speaking, listening/transcribing, over time, seems like it would sink deeper into the memory banks than a single marathon run at one thing. It also allows more flexibility to "change things up".

This is the start of my list ...

Luke's TAC 2015 Micro-Challenges
Assimil New French with Ease Listen/Transcription Wave
Assimil French Without Toil Act The Part Wave.
Assimil Business French Read, Understand, Listen, Assimilate Wave
Assimil Using French Wave 2
Greatest Book - read and understand [almost] everything.
Petit Nicholas Cartoon Marathon
Petit Prince - Listen and Cry
Anki - 5000 word march
FSI Basic French Unit by Unit
Hugo French in 3 Months Mini-Marathon
Hugo Advanced French Marathon
Le Contrat Social - Jean Jacques Rousseau
Madame Bovary - Listen/Read/Enjoy
Other books, a suggestion from guilon...

guilon wrote:
-Gustave Flaubert - Madame Bovary
-Honoré de Balzac - Le père Goriot
-Stendhal - Le rouge et le noir
-Victor Hugo - Les misérables
-Émile Zola - Germinal
-Marcel Proust - Du côté de chez Swann
-Jean Paul Sartre - La nausée
-Albert Camus - La peste

Here are some of my suggestions, ordered from harder to easier (although this may be an arbitrary way of ranking them of course).

In my opinion, if you manage to read only these eight books thoroughly ,you will end up mastering a big amount of cultivated vocabulary and sophisticated constructions. If you really are into Literature these are the “incontournables” you should browse through, otherwise Montecristo and the Mousquetaires are some pleasant readings but not exactly the highest standards of French Literature.

Edited by luke on 02 January 2015 at 1:45am

1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3835 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 379 of 439
02 January 2015 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
hey man, good luck with this new year of French studies!

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4697 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 380 of 439
03 January 2015 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
Looking forward to a good year, Luke. Your micro-challenges look interesting, and we could maybe use a few of them as team challenges.

Regarding your books to read, you don't really need to read Proust, since it has been so well summarized by Monty Python.

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5264 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 381 of 439
07 January 2015 at 5:27am | IP Logged 
Hi luke,

Just dropping by again to say bonne chance with TAC 2015 on Team français and thanks for any future
assistance provided. You're one of only a few of us from team 2ème in 2014 who stuck it out right to the end.
I hope 2015 proves just as beneficial for your French learning.

à bientôt !

Monsieur le premier ministre

----------------------------------
Je suis ici pour te dire encore bonne chance avec TAC 2015 sur l'équipe Team français et merci pour
quelque assistance que tu nous prêteras. Tu es un de seulement quelques personnes sur l'équipe 2ème qui
continuait jusqu'au bout de l'année. J'espère que 2015 s'avère aussi bénéfique pour ton apprentissage de
français.

(je ne sais pas si mon français est correct ici, mais j'ai essayé !)

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 07 January 2015 at 5:35am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 382 of 439
08 January 2015 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
tristano wrote:
hey man, good luck with this new year of French studies!

Merci monsieur ! Et a vous aussi !

Jeffers wrote:
Your micro-challenges look interesting, and we could maybe use a few of them as team challenges. [/url]

Je ne sais pas, mais je dois faire quelque chose. I think they got as much from Proust as I would have.

[quote=Monsieur le premier minister]

Je suis ici pour te dire encore bonne chance avec TAC 2015 sur l'équipe Team français et merci pour quelque assistance que tu nous prêteras. Tu es un de seulement quelques personnes sur l'équipe 2ème qui continuait jusqu'au bout de l'année. J'espère que 2015 s'avère aussi bénéfique pour ton apprentissage de français.

(je ne sais pas si mon français est correct ici, mais j'ai essayé !)

Bien sûr, vous êtes un maître de l'écriture et une source d'inspiration pour tout le monde.

Edited by luke on 08 January 2015 at 10:09am

1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 383 of 439
11 January 2015 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
FSI Basic French Hard Core FSI review. Unit 7.7.

Anki Mot 1400 est supporter. I realized today I can add a bunch of cards on the weekend and control how many new cards show up each day with:

Anki > Deck > Option > New Cards > New cards/day

I've currently got it set to 50 because I know most of the words. I added 100 words this morning. Since I was not adding cards for about a month, my reviews have become very short. Six minutes today. I want to pile 100 cards in on the weekend and let a 25 new cards/day setting do the rest.

Assimil New French with Ease - My transcription wave is on lesson 2. This is, listen to the audio and write the French by hand. I check each sentence as I do it and mark the errors with a magic marker to highlight things to review.

Assimil Business French - I'm doing a wave that involves reading, listening to, and understanding the dialogue and question/answers. I'm also reading the documents and the translation exercises and taking a quick stab at the exercise at the end of each lesson. I did lesson 2 this morning.

Assimil Using French - I'm closing in on the end of an extensive listen/read wave. I did a more intensive study of lesson 69, De la bonne chere, because it's harder and full of idioms. This is the bathroom study slot. Next will be Perfectionment Espagnol. (Using Spanish with a French base). That will start as an extensive listen/read wave as well. In this context, "extensive" generally means just listen and read the aural parts of the course and don't worry about the notes.

French Without Toil - I'd started a "look away and repeat" wave a couple months ago and then aborted the wave at lesson 21. Now, with the new year, I think maybe just ramp this up as a "translate" wave and see how far I can take it.

Le Rouge et Le Noir - I have a nice recording and a parallel text. I've been reading the chapter in English, then listen/reading it with French/English. I sometimes glance over at the French.

CLE Grammaire Progressive - This is a nice book I got used. It's all in French. I'm using Niveau Intermediaire. I've done chapter 1 of 52 so far.

Lingvist - I've been using Memorize almost every day and getting to the end of the course. 4720 words (they've added 5) in about 84 hours. I have done most of the shorter readings. There are 49 longer readings left. In Listen, there are 91 recordings left.

Philosophie Vivante I'm on lecture 32 in this series. This is mostly done at the gym, so it isn't really studying.

There are other things I'm doing and a few other tracks I have running, but I wanted to capture the above as it seems like a good course of study for the year.

I will note that I think the listen/reading of Le Rouge et Le Noir is one of the more effective things I'm doing lately. I feel like I'm thinking in French afterwards.

Edited by luke on 11 January 2015 at 2:17pm

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5264 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 384 of 439
11 January 2015 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
As studious and consistent as ever luke, nice going, keep it up!

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version