United Kingdom
Joined 4872 days ago

36 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 25 of 439
31 August 2012 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
One thing I've found helpful is using the Images link at google.com to enrich lessons. It is interesting seeing some of the places described in the lessons. The most recent delight here was the polychromatic rooftops in Beaune and the Alms Houses.

Moi aussi! I used Google Earth too - nous sommes au Boulevard Saint Michel ... la fontaine est là-bas etc.
4 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5189 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 26 of 439
31 August 2012 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
One thing I've found helpful is using the Images link at google.com to enrich lessons. It is interesting seeing some of the places described in the lessons. The most recent delight here was the polychromatic rooftops in Beaune and the Alms Houses.

Listening to yesterday's 7 lessons while browsing posts here.

I just passed a lesson like this in Assimil Espagnol and I didn't even think of doing this. I ought to check out the regions mentioned since that is part of the fun of studying languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 27 of 439
02 September 2012 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
conroy wrote:
luke wrote:

Moi aussi! I used Google Earth too - nous sommes au Boulevard Saint Michel ... la fontaine est là-bas etc.

And of course, l'Église Saint-Étienne-du-Mont is in an upcoming lesson as well. C'est très efficace.
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 28 of 439
02 September 2012 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
I had a little trip out of town so I took Using French along with me to read on the plane. The first lesson I read thoroughly. Then I thought, at this pace I'll never make it through the book this weekend, so I switched to just reading the French and English dialog. With that method, I got through about 35 lessons during the flight. Now some of the lessons which are very idiomatic are not so easy to understand. For a couple, I just satisfied myself in reading the translation. I did come across a tip in the book which said:

Assimil Using French page 84 wrote:
If you can't remember a turn of phrase, look back to the text. Some people feel they are "cheating" when they do this. A ridiculous idea!

So with that thought in hand and carried a bit further, I'm on lesson 44. For some lessons, I've just read the translation. I'm looking forward to when I listen to the lessons again and can understand them better than before.

Edited by luke on 04 September 2012 at 9:52am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 29 of 439
04 September 2012 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
I finished reading the 70 lessons of Using French this weekend. I'll be elevating Using French to the top of my background and foreground listening rotation.

This morning I did lessons 104-105 in New French with Ease. One more 7 or 8 lesson stretch and I'll have completed this wave.

I think I'll listen back Using French dialogs with the book to refresh those lessons.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 30 of 439
04 September 2012 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
Eureka! I've found it.

My approach for the next few weeks, that is. It uses the idea of peaking from athletics as well as recovery before the big event (tapering).

What am I going to do?

Continue with Using French using the 2 fast waves approach. E.G., finish listen/reading through the dialogs, then do a 7 lesson per day march through the material with attention to notes and exercises. This of course ramps up the intensity.

Then for the taper, go back through New French with Ease with a 7 lesson per day, attention to notes approach. This way the basic stuff should be solid in my head and my confidence high before the trip.

Edited by luke on 04 September 2012 at 5:46pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 31 of 439
05 September 2012 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
I've gone through lessons 106-109 since yesterday. The end is in sight.

Yesterday, my listening to Using French was much more comprehensible than before. I listened to all the dialogs in the background twice. I also listened while driving, which allowed me to concentrate more. Apparently reading the course dialogs over the weekend was helpful. That's good. I have a similar feeling of pleasant anticipation that the manner in which New French with Ease has become very comprehensible over the course of a few weeks will visit me again with the advanced course.

Edited by luke on 05 September 2012 at 11:39am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 32 of 439
05 September 2012 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
I finished up New French with Ease lesson 113. Feels good to have that under my belt.

I also read through lessons 22-28 in Using French.

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version