United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 9 of 439
26 July 2012 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
And continuing this morning...
Read Essential French Grammar for about 20-30 minutes with Using French playing in background.
Listen-Read the last half of Le Petit Prince, which is/was excellent!
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 10 of 439
27 July 2012 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday listened and shadowed Assimil New French while commuting. Went through about 1/3 of the audio.

Listen-Read chapters 1-15 of Voltaire's Candide.

Wrote, studied, and shadowed lesson 10 in New French. Also reviewed and shadowed the previous 9 lessons.

I've been typing out the sentences from See It & Say It In French so I can re-play them as audio in translate.google.com. The google site is also helpful for reverse translations to get accent marks correct. E.G. type "mother" and get "mère". Then I can paste the "translated" side back in the original side if I want. That way I can get orthographic corrections along with a translation, although the translation is generally not necessary (I'm using the google site for the audio).

Anyway, I also went through my saved file from See It & Say It, which takes about 9 minutes for the first 30 pages of the book.

Edited by luke on 27 July 2012 at 12:28pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 11 of 439
28 July 2012 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
Listened and shadowed second 1/3 of the audio in New French with Ease.

Listen-read chapters 16-19 from parallel text to Voltaire's Candide.

Wrote, studied and shadowed lesson 11 in New French with Ease. Reviewed some previous lessons.

Went through pages 31-37 in See It and Say It in French.

Read dialog and translation from lesson 3 in Using French.

Edited by luke on 28 July 2012 at 12:07pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 12 of 439
29 July 2012 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
Yesterday I listen/read chapters 20-22 in Voltaire's Candide. This is a stretch. I haven't read the story through before.

I've written and studied lessons 12 and 13 from Assimil New French with Ease. A review lesson is next and I'll review the previous lessons as well.

As an aside, I didn't sleep well last week. It's the weekend now and I'm getting more sleep and was able to take a nap yesterday. Still feel a little sleep deprived.

I picked up Easy French Reader from the library. The one I checked out doesn't have the audio CD, but the CD gets favorable reviews from Amazon, although the CD doesn't have audio for all the readings. I've gone through the first 2 readings and wrote out the exercises.

Edited by luke on 29 July 2012 at 10:54am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 13 of 439
30 July 2012 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
I finished up Assimil lesson 14 and reviewed 1-13 today.

I also finished Listen/Reading once through Candide. That book is harder than the other material I've been using, so it may be some weeks before I return to it. I wonder if the language is a bit dated for a beginner preparing for a trip to France. It was written about 250 years ago.

I Read a couple more bits from Easy French Reader. Has anyone heard the CD that's available for that book?

I found RFI News in Simple French. I'm listening to that now. I'm not a news junkie, but it does seem like a nice aspect of language skill to develop for my trip. I've just ran it through translate.google.com to get some help.

Also up through page 47 in See It & Say It in French.

Edited by luke on 30 July 2012 at 3:02am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 14 of 439
08 August 2012 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
I'm back after disabling Java and now see that the malware looks to have been taken care of. What have I been to?

I'm up to Assimil Lesson 21 from New French with Ease.

With See It & Say It in French I'm on page 59.

I picked up Learn French In Your Car from the local library. I'm not overly impressed with it, but it may be useful as a grammatical overview. I.E. I'm currently planning to go through it and the book once just as a familiarization with French grammar and vocab. Upsides to the program is that it gives an overview of the language and has audio support and is not too detailed. Downsides are that the audio is not dialog oriented and is rather dry. The organization isn't ideal. The course is somewhat disjointed. Topics are introduced somewhat haphazardly.

I have another audiobook I've started listening to and reading. So far so good.

Also continuing with Resnick's Essential French Grammar.

Seems like I've done more than that. Oh yeah, I also got Listen & Learn French. I got it for the reasons listed in a previous post. It's not bad for what it is.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 15 of 439
13 August 2012 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
Assimil: I'm on lesson 28 and did a review of the previous 7 lessons last night. I write each lesson. This seems to be helpful. I think there is a cumulative benefit here.

See It & Say It in French: I'm on page 70. Google translate no longer has the option to read to you, but that hasn't hurt too much. I don't have a great deal of enthusiasm for this book right now. I need to skim ahead and see where it expects to take on by the end.

Essential French Grammar: I'm beginning my third pass through this thin book. Each time through I'm delving a bit deeper. I skipped certain sections the first time through.

Miscellaneous: I did the first part of lesson on of the FSI phonology course. That course seems like it would progress slowly, but does have a couple of benefits:
It's short (20 - 80 hours).
It's a programmed introduction, which I've found helpful in the past.

I also started listening to some SmartFrench audio in the car. This course is almost like a modern phonology course in that it the "travel" course takes a bunch of phrases and does them twice. Once very slowly with colloquial pronunciation, and once at normal speed. It doesn't seem as organized as Assimil, FSI, or a course like that.

I've ditched Learn French in Your Car for the time being. I'm trying to focus on those activities that intuitively seem to be helping the most, since I want to get as far as I can in the weeks ahead.

What I think I will do more of is Listen/Reading a book I know well. This seemed very helpful. Also, I would like to Listen/Read Assimil Using French so I can add that to my passive playlist and understand it better.   

Edited by luke on 13 August 2012 at 10:31am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 16 of 439
14 August 2012 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
Started listening to Le Petit Prince again yesterday in the morning. The first 4 chapters seemed quite comprehensible. On the way home from work, when fatigued, the next 4 chapters were far less understandable.

Began Essential French Grammar (EFG) again, but now thinking I may just focus on the Assimil courses instead of spreading myself so thin. Listened to a dozen of the upcoming lessons while in the bathtub reading mostly the translation. Thinking of using the Assimil books as a supplement rather than EFG.

Will probably listen to Le Petit Prince again this morning to see if my understanding is enhanced in the morning, or whether I'm just more familiar with the beginning of the book.

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version