Message 193 of 439
21 April 2014 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
Note on FSI waves ...

1. Dialogue familiarization
  2. Tape 2 Magic
  3. Truncate Silence wave with book
  4. Normal plodding through the lessons
  5. Review wave

I read chapter 4 in Le Petit Nicolas today. That is going well. I also watched the cartoon from chapter 1. The episode is very loosely based on the book. I'm thinking of this read, then listen and watch wave as expanding what I can do. E.G., understanding the cartoons puts some bones on the Le Petit Nichoas study.

The Assimil Business French wave is going smoothly so far. Focus on one lesson, review the previous. Today was lesson 4 of 40. The way I'm imagining putting bones on this track is to start listening to RFI New in Simple French. I did that one day while working in the kitchen. If I can parlay Business French into a descent handle on the news, that will be a big win.

As you can read, my new thought process is to put bones on the study track. That is, to leverage something I'm studying to practice something I haven't studied.

Edited by luke on 21 April 2014 at 1:53am

1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7004 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 194 of 439
21 April 2014 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
Notes from http://greaterbooks.com/ for "Great Books" originally written in French. The number represents how many great book lists the book is on.

Michel de Montaigne
Les Essais_21
published in three volumes, 1580, 1588, and 1595—French
*Lubbock* *Baldwin* *Durant* *Invitation* *France* *Downs* *Rexroth* *Read* *Ward* *Van Doren* *Magill* *Adler* *Good* *Bloom* *Kanigel* *SeymourSmith* *Norway* *Great* *GlobeMail* *World* *Newman*

Madame Bovary_20
originally published serially in La Revue de Paris 1 Oct. 1856-15 Dec. 1856—French
*Classics* *Durant* *Hundred* *France* *Read* *Ward* *Magill* *Good* *Learning* *Bloom* *Fadiman* *Campbell* *Kanigel* *Norway* *Guardian* *Great* *Zane* *GlobeMail* *Telegraph* *Newman*

François Rabelais
La Vie de Gargantua et de Pantagruel_19
1532-34—French
*Powys* *Durant* *Invitation* *Hundred* *France* *Rexroth* *Read* *Ward* *Van Doren* *Magill* *Adler* *Good* *Bloom* *Fadiman* *SeymourSmith* *Utne* *Norway* *Great* *Newman*

Voltaire
Candide, ou L'Optimisme_18
1759—French
*Powys* *Durant* *Classics* *Hundred* *Read* *Ward* *Van Doren* *Magill* *Adler* *Good* *Bloom* *Fadiman* *SeymourSmith* *Campbell* *Great* *Zane* *Newman* *Graphic*

Rene Descartes
Discours de la Méthode Pour Bien Conduire sa Raison, et Chercher la Vérité dans les Sciences_16
1637—French
*Lubbock* *Eliot* *Invitation* *Classics* *Hundred* *France* *Downs* *Read* *Ward* *Van Doren* *Adler* *Good* *Fadiman* *SeymourSmith* *Great* *World*

Blaise Pascal
Pensées_16
1669—French
*Lubbock* *Eliot* *Invitation* *Classics* *France* *Read* *Ward* *Van Doren* *Magill* *Adler* *Bloom* *Fadiman* *SeymourSmith* *Great* *O'Hear* *Reynolds*

Victor Hugo
Les Misérables_15
1862—French
*Baldwin* *Durant* *Classics* *Hundred* *France* *Downs* *Magill* *Good* *Learning* *Bloom* *Guardian* *Harvard* *World* *Newman* *Graphic*

Marcel Proust
À la Recherche du Temps Perdu (In Remembrance of Things Past)_15
published in seven volumes, two of which originally published as two books each, 1913-27—French
*Classics* *France* *Read* *Ward* *Magill* *Good* *Blom* *Fadiman* *Foundation* *Utne* *Norway* *Zane* *GlobeMail* *Telegraph* *Newman*

Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Du Contrat Social ou Principes du Droit Politique_14
1762—French
*Invitation* *Classics* *Hundred* *Downs* *Read* *Ward* *Van Doren* *Good* *Foundation* *Dirda* *Great* *GlobeMail* *Telegraph* *Newman*

Stendhal
Le Rouge et le Noir, Chronique du XIXe Siècle_14
1830—French
*Powys* *Classics* *France* *Rexroth* *Read* *Ward* *Van Doren* *Magill* *Good* *Fadiman* *Norway* *Great* *Zane* *Newman*

Honoré de Balzac
Le Père Goriot_11
originally published serially in Revue de Paris Dec. 1834-Feb. 1835—French
*Eliot* *Powys* *Durant* *Hundred* *Read* *Van Doren* *Magill* *Bloom* *Fadiman* *Norway* *Newman*

Molière
Tartuffe, ou l'Imposteur_11
1664—French
*Eliot* *Durant* *Classics* *Read* *Ward* *Van Doren* *Magill* *Adler* *Bloom* *Fadiman* *Newman*

Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Les Confessions_11
1782—French
*Durant* *Invitation* *Classics* *France* *Ward* *Magill* *Bloom* *Fadiman* *SeymourSmith* *Dirda* *Newman*

Edited by luke on 21 April 2014 at 10:17am

3 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5008 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 195 of 439
22 April 2014 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:

One thing I learned during the transition to single batchelor to married man was that I can no longer afford to
waste time as I once did. Now, ignoring the notion that learning French or Spanish or any foreign language
could be deemed a waste of time for me, at least I no longer spend much time going through really easy stuff
over and over again. One difference is that when I listen to New French with Ease over the course of a few
weeks during "hidden moments", it is
a) A review
b) Used time that would have been otherwise unproductive.

That's not to say I couldn't be studying something better for my career.

And it's fun too.     

Good strategy skipping the really easy stuff. Though it's sometimes tricky finding that "sweet spot" between
"too easy" and "just right". Was it 95% comprehension that was the "optimal" percentage, from the "extensive
reading" threads / research? Would thagt apply to just audio sources too, I wonder?

You may also like this quote from Cato Lomb
Wikipedia , the Hungarian polyglot re. the value
of learning languages:

Quote:
We should learn languages because language is the only thing worth knowing even poorly...

From her book "Polyglot: How I Learn Languages". (There's the fuller paragraph at Spanishlinguist.us:
link. )

It's been posted here on Htlal before, but I find it enormously encouraging.
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7004 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 196 of 439
22 April 2014 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:
luke wrote:
I can no longer afford to waste time as I once did. I no longer spend much time going through really easy stuff over and over again. One difference is that when I listen to New French with Ease over the course of a few
weeks during "hidden moments", it is
a) A review
b) Used time that would have been otherwise unproductive.

And it's fun too.     

Good strategy skipping the really easy stuff. Though it's sometimes tricky finding that "sweet spot" between "too easy" and "just right". Was it 95% comprehension that was the "optimal" percentage, from the "extensive reading" threads / research? Would that apply to just audio sources too, I wonder?

I don't know what the exact percentage is, but knowing say 99% of what's offered in a lesson doesn't really merit spending time to pick up note or detail I might could get from doing the whole lesson carefully. E.G., I get more from spending 20-30 minutes with Assimil Business French than spending the same amount of time with New French with Ease.

Don't get me wrong. I'll review NFWE again, but it will primarily be to skim and sniff out something to learn, rather than repeating lessons that are too elementary.

With audio reviews in hidden moments, the "fun" is noticing words I may have once knew in a single context or remember struggling with at one time and feeling, "this is all easy now".

I need to keep a good bit of challenge going though if I hope to progress.

Another place where the "easy" lessons come in handy is when I'm too tired for a challenge.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4708 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 197 of 439
22 April 2014 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:

I read chapter 4 in Le Petit Nicolas today. That is going well. I also watched the cartoon from chapter 1. The episode is very loosely based on the book. I'm thinking of this read, then listen and watch wave as expanding what I can do. E.G., understanding the cartoons puts some bones on the Le Petit Nichoas study.

Where did you find a Petit Nicolas cartoon? (Is the obvious answer Youtube?)

I find the audio to the first Petit Nicolas book absolutely delightful to listen to. The story about Le Bullion makes me actually laugh out loud when they all start arguing about who said "le Bullion" and denying it while saying it. The "Jehovah" scene from the Life of Brian might have been ripped off from this story.

By the way, there's a live action film of Le Petit Nicolas. I have no idea how good it is. The UK edition has French audio with English subs. The French edition has French subs. Too bad there's not an edition with both subs (although I suspect the Canadian edition might have both).

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7004 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 198 of 439
23 April 2014 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
luke wrote:

I read chapter 4 in Le Petit Nicolas today. That is going well. I also watched the cartoon from chapter
1. The episode is very loosely based on the book. I'm thinking of this read, then listen and watch wave as
expanding what I can do. E.G., understanding the cartoons puts some bones on the Le Petit Nichoas study.

Bien sûr!

They have a lot of Le Petit Nicolas cartoons on youtube. They also have the movie in French.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4708 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 199 of 439
23 April 2014 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
luke wrote:

I read chapter 4 in Le Petit Nicolas today. That is going well. I also watched the cartoon from chapter
1. The episode is very loosely based on the book. I'm thinking of this read, then listen and watch wave as
expanding what I can do. E.G., understanding the cartoons puts some bones on the Le Petit Nichoas study.

Bien sûr!

They have a lot of Le Petit Nicolas cartoons on youtube. They also have the movie in French.

Thanks for that! I found one with fixed subtitles in French, which were perfect as far as I could tell. Unfortunately, the picture quality made my eyes go wonky by the end of it.

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3806 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 200 of 439
23 April 2014 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:

I really enjoy Le Petit Nicholas, and plan to read them in May for the start of the SuperChallenge. I didn't
know about the cartoons and I plan to add them after reading and listening to each chapter. Thanks for the
share!

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version