United Kingdom
Joined 4708 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 361 of 439
11 December 2014 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Throw a cat at a bat before ensuring it's had a sturdy hearty meal of chilli bean chicken with some rope thrown in for good measure...

I think all those years living upside down on the underside of the earth has addled your brain.

EDIT: sorry, what I meant to say was, "For realz yo". ;)

Edited by Jeffers on 11 December 2014 at 5:12pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5275 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 362 of 439
12 December 2014 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Throw a cat at a bat before ensuring it's had a sturdy hearty
meal of chilli bean chicken with some rope thrown in for good measure...

I think all those years living upside down on the underside of the earth has addled your brain.

EDIT: sorry, what I meant to say was, "For realz yo". ;)

Je ne comprends pas ! Tu as encore écrit à l'envers ! Pour de vrai ! Alors, maintenant je reviens à ce que j'ai
voulu vraiment dire dans un premier temps.. ou... demander... Un insane-o buger s'il te plaît, sans fromage,
alors, ça j'ajouterai chez moi, parce que je ne mange que le fromage vrai, de vrai je dis... j'attendrai ici pour
l'insane-o burger....

Désolé Luke, j'espère que tout va bien mon ami ! (moi je ne suis pas le problème, c'est Jeffers)
3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7004 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 363 of 439
12 December 2014 at 9:28am | IP Logged 
Je suis sûr que vous deux sont la solution.
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7004 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 364 of 439
16 December 2014 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
Lingvist update 55 hours, 42 minutes... 4551 words.

That's 456 words over the last 13 hours or so, or about 35 "new" words per hour. This morning, I'm doing better than that; 49 new words in 39 minutes. I was very "caught up" when I started. By that I mean I got through all the review cards yesterday afternoon. I came back to the Lingvist in the early evening for a while, and the number of reviews was much smaller before new cards began appearing. Then I did a couple more shorter sessions so there was a shorter queue of review cards before new words began showing up. It's just after one o'clock in the morning here and I slept for about 4.5 hours before un cauchemar m'a réveillé.

I find myself paying more attention with words I'm unsure of. Is this plural? What's the tense? Third person? How would this sound be spelt? What sort of vowel order is used here?

I've continued to give more time to the Listen and Read sections. I'm into the three page readings and three minute audio tracks. I still haven't discovered the source of all the radio interviews. It's nice that the site removes the readings and audio you've been through from the list.

For the last 13 days, review cards have become the lion's share of the cards I do. I'm on day 26.

As far as a tactics for progress on the site at this point:
* Go through the review cards carefully. Inadvertent errors will cause a card to repeat several times to teach you a lesson.
* Several shorter sessions are more effective than a couple long ones.
* Continue to forge through the readings and audio.
* Use the "click on a word dictionary" for unknown words. I imagine they will show up in Memorize at some point.
* Notice things.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7004 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 365 of 439
20 December 2014 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
Lingvist wrote:
Well done, it looks like you've reached the end of the Memorize section. That's impressive.
We'll be
adding more phrases very soon, but until then we urge you to check back daily to practice the words you
already
know.

What's next? Why don't you improve your skills even further and head over to the Read and Listen sections.

I clicked on Read and there is a new easy reading there. It is a transcript of many of the easy audio
dialogues from French by French. A nice review.

4715 words, 63 hours 38 minutes, 92% of words of any text. Today, 93% correct.

My Memorize adventure with the Linguist is on day 30.

I clicked back on Memorize and it has some review cards already in the queue. I did about three mini
sessions since the first completion earlier this morning. There have been about 15-25 words in each session.
They have been appropritate words for review.

I think I'll carry on with Lingvist Memorize reviews to keep caught up and move on to
Intermediate Lessons at French by
French
. I did the first one and it has a nice dialogue, the continuing saga of a young family that started
out in the Beginner section. All the dialogues are related, which is great. The grammar and exercise
sections are both concise, which makes for a pleasant, brief lesson. It sounds perfect for a
20 hour
challenge

Edited by luke on 20 December 2014 at 3:48pm

1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7004 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 366 of 439
26 December 2014 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
Luke's Total Annihiliation Challenge Summary

• FSI French Phonology was helpful.

• Assimil French Without Toil and New French with Ease got a lot of study time. They are both great courses.

• I was inspired by Expugnator's experience with Assimil Business French to get the course. It is a rock solid advanced Assimil course. Word on the street is that it will be discontinued, so if you love Assimil, it's worth a look. I've been through the course a few times, but it still has more to teach.

• Assimil Using French is another course I like a lot and went through several times this year.

• Le Sens du Bonheur by Krishnamurti - I converted the book to mp3 and listened through the whole thing in the gym twice.

• Another one I've been using in the gym is a youtube series called Philosophie du vivant, which I also converted to mp3. I'm on lecture 30.

• I went through a nice recording of Madame Bovary at litteratureaudio.com. I had a Parallel Text, and the chapters are not too long. Madame Bovary is in a lot of Great Book lists. I listened to the audio from Librivox in English while reading the French. It's a good read.

• Le Petit Nicolas is online with audio and words. I did this book several times with my own google translate parallel text.
  • b
  • I converted Joseph Murphy - La Puissance de votre subconscient into mp3s and listened to the two hour audiobook a couple of times while driving in the car.
  • FSI Basic French got a lot of time during my commutes. I've made it to unit 11 of 24. The Prime Minister helped me with the written exercises for the first 6 units. I've re-reviewed units 1-6 using the Hard Core FSI technique.
  • ]
  • L'homme qui plantait des arbres (The man who planted trees) got a few days of study. Look for good links part way down the link above.

• I started doing the Routledge French Frequency Dictionary. I'm around word 1200. When I was on track, I tried to add about 10 words per day.

• I listened to Les Quatre Accords, about three times. It's much easier than real literature.

• I've started listening to Radio France International's News
    in Easy French
    now and then.

• I read the Asterex le Galois comic.

• I read and listened to the book Petit Nicolas et Ses Copains a few times.

• I listen/read Sur la Liberté by John Stuart Mill and Vol de Nuit by Exupery a few times each.

• I started French in Action, the phenomenal everything course. I'm on unit 10 of 52.

• Jeffer's revealed Lingvist and it captured my imagination. I've logged over 72 hours over the last 5 weeks. I've hit the end of Memorise and have continued reviewing to the end each day and I'm scooping up the Listen and Reading sections.

Edited by luke on 26 December 2014 at 8:02pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7004 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 367 of 439
30 December 2014 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
I liked tarvos' post on
studying multiple languages
. That has me wanting to gather some thoughts...

I like the idea of starting something and focusing on it for a while. In some ways, that's what I've been doing
all along, but I also tend to spread some goals out over a longer time. I'm thinking specifically of Assimil
courses here.

I have some thoughts on how to do things I've not done with the courses before to take them to a deeper
level.
French Without Toil - I would benefit from the standard approach. E.G., Look away and repeat
each phrase of the dialogue with a real sense of feeling what I'm saying.
New French with Ease - Do as a listen/transcribe wave.
Using French - I have less strong feelings here. How about doing a translation based on the English?
I've not done that dilegently with any Assimil course. This is usually referred to as "wave 2".
Business French - Read the course away from the audio. Possibly even dive into all the supplemental
exercises it contains.

FSI Basic French - Once I finish the current review, just pick up and start moving forward again. This
has generally worked best for me in non-obsessive mode.

Listen/Reading Great Books This is not a bad thing to do in obsessive mode. I generally don't regret
time I've spent on one of these books. I haven't gotten as comfortable with them as I'd like, but that shouldn't
be a surprise. Some focused time in obsession mode may be pleasant.

French In Action - This course is and does everything, so it's good to go at in obsession mode for a
spurt. Each lesson takes about 5-10 hours to do right. To feel like I'm making progress, it helps to go mono-
maniacial on it.

Thinking in French - When I first approached French at Uni some decades ago, this was my secret. I
haven't returned to this as I've been afraid I'd fossilize mistakes. Perhaps an obsessive bout with FSI would
take care of that concern. BTW, this is not a book or audio. It's what Iversen describes as taking place in the
noggin.

Frequency Dictionary - Anki - has always been most palatable in trickle mode. E.G. adding 10
relatively
easy words per day. Over the course of a year, this might help my comprehension a good deal.

Perhaps the approach is to figure out what I'm feeling weak on, and then decide what I could do to bring that
up a notch. Overall, I would get the most benefit from thinking in French. Now, all I have to do is figure out
how to make these things apply to thinking.

Edited by luke on 31 December 2014 at 12:23am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4708 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 368 of 439
30 December 2014 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
Interesting and useful summaries, Luke. I'll get working on mine today. Or tomorrow.

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version