Diglot
United States
Joined 7004 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 417 of 439
23 April 2015 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
I think Churchill said that in response to FDR, when he said, "The only thing we have to fear is... fear itself".
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4708 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 418 of 439
23 April 2015 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
I think Churchill said that in response to FDR, when he said, "The only thing we have to fear is... fear itself".

That's a quote which is often misquoted, so I don't blame you. But what FDR really said was, "The only thing we have to sphere are spheres themselves." It seems he had a mortal sphere of spheres.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7004 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 419 of 439
24 April 2015 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
Jeffers :)

I was just going to post the two character smiley, but I think that's against the rules.

I listened to La Republique on the way to work and back. Thinking too much about other things to really
focus. However, I do think my dabbling into Plato is already paying off in the real world. I had a conference
call with some unreasonable people today. Focus on the "reason" in unreasonable. Actually, they weren't.
However, I did use the Socratic method to get the entire gang, who were at various points opposed to my
sensible position, to agree to do the right thing.

Also had a fun conversational partners experience at work. That's a Spanish class, so technically, it belongs
in another log. I probably used a French word now and then by accident, so at least I got that going for me.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7004 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 420 of 439
28 April 2015 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
Mr. Anki - Word 2000 is combler, apparently because it satisfies your frequency dictionary fetish with a nice round number.

Jeffers, you're safe. Mot 2000, c'est la fin de ce tour.

Ten Year Reading Plan - I'm into book two of Plato's Republic. I've been spending most of my time with this book in English and French.

Assimil - Extensive is into lesson 10 or so in Using French. Intensive Business French is around unit 6.

Edited by luke on 29 April 2015 at 12:17pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7004 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 421 of 439
23 May 2015 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
Mr. Anki - Word 2000 remains combler. It is a satisfying number to pause on with the frequency dictionary. I've been using Anki for La République and a few other sources to begin targeting useful words.

Ten Year Reading Plan - I've been through books one and two of Plato's Republic several times, in English and French. A lot of listening, some reading, some shadowing, both with, and without the book.

Assimil - Extensive is into lesson 22 in Using French. I'm doing a bit of a Professor Arguelles approach when I have time, which is not often. I.E.,
Listen/Read Fr/Fr lesson 22, 21, 20.
Read notes for 19.
Read lesson 18 aloud.

Intensive Business French got up to about lesson 9, then has lost some focus. I'm shadowing it in the car. That track is around lesson 12.

FSI has inched it's way back on the scene. I'm going at the dialogues and "tape two magic" at the moment. It's around unit 4 on this approach.

Narrow Reading gets some listening and a bit of reading. Some words have gone to Anki.

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3806 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 422 of 439
23 May 2015 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
Awesome job as always, Luke! I too have been toying with doing another run through Using French this
summer, and I may go research further Professor Arguelles' approach. I've had a nice break from courses of
late, but I do think doing another wave of Assimil (or possibly trying FSI) could further solidify things for me.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7004 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 423 of 439
23 May 2015 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
I like Assimil for it's adaptability. The short lessons are perfect for 2 or more minutes of study.

I could probably be helped by some focus specifically on grammar, as that's something I've spent very little
time studying. I just haven't bit the bullet yet.

FSI is the lynchpin for solid speaking skills, it seems to me. For me though, listening and reading are my
primary uses of French, so I've let FSI slide a bit over the last couple months, in order to focus on those.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4708 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 424 of 439
02 June 2015 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
Hey Luke, I've a question for you. A while back you finished the memorize section on Lingvist, having learnt 4715 words. Have you ever gone back since then, and have they added any more words?

Another question is, with the amount of French you've studied, were there many words in the frequency dictionary up to 2000 that you didn't already know? Or was it just a nice review? For me, it seems between cognates and words I've met elsewhere I already know about 50-60% of the new words I have been entering in the 2200s. I still do find it useful to work on the word in isolation briefly, so I'll probably occasionally keep adding words from time to time.

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version