PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5275 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 297 of 439
02 September 2014 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
Tnx for the link Luke I took the test too.. I wouldn't worry too much it's a very short test not long enough and
too limited in terms that it's really only testing reading, to gauge all round abilities. If u can follow c2 audio
you're doing very well indeed
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7004 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 298 of 439
03 September 2014 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Tnx for the link Luke I took the test too.. I wouldn't worry too much it's a very
short test not long enough and too limited in terms that it's really only testing reading, to gauge all round
abilities. If u can follow c2 audio you're doing very well indeed

I will bet that you did very well. It's okay to share. I won't be embarrassed.

I'm not C2 on all audio, but that particular segment seemed easier than a lot of things I've heard.

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5275 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 299 of 439
04 September 2014 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:

I will bet that you did very well. It's okay to share. I won't be embarrassed.

I'm not C2 on all audio, but that particular segment seemed easier than a lot of things I've heard.

I received 80% (borderline b2/c1) as per their ranking system. I was pleased with that, but again I took it with
a grain of salt as sitting there for a minute on one question is not reality. I'm sure this is factored into the test,
but it's by no means thorough. In all honesty I think I could pass a B2 exam, not C1. And in passing a B2
exam i'm not so sure my listening and speaking skills would really be at B2 level, close but potential failing
points there. I must say lately excitement is building as I definitively venture into French territory I am sure I've
not ventured before (if you're aware of my story i've done a lot of French over the years in unsuccessful
spurts or runs). Thus I'm actually sticking at it this time. So don't get too involved with your level (i'm not
suggesting you are tho), just keep moving! I learned this lesson Luke, yet again the other day. I took a full day
off French, the next day as the continuous thread of learning and exposure and been broken I stumbled with
words, felt awkward and sentences that I was beginning to comprehend I felt were returning to masses of
poorly comprehensible sound. Perhaps it was psychological and my letting go and binging on chocolate didn't
help (sugar in fact is bad for concentration among other things). Anyway the moral of the story is keep it up,
keep it continuous, don't stop! We're in this together [sort of, as a team :)]. As I am proud of myself in
continuing I'm proud/happy for of all others on this forum who manage to consistently learn a language day in
day out to the point they reach their goals. Good work Luke
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7004 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 300 of 439
12 September 2014 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
I'm back from a short holiday. I just wrapped up the cleanup wave, lesson 40 in Assimil Business French.
Business French is on my phone and on the memory stick in the car, but, if I'm disciplined, won't be part of
my daily study for a bit. I did think yesterday when I come back to it, I might do one lesson per week and try
to get all the exercises and translations done in that week. I imagined if the book was used in a class, that's
the pace they would use.

French Frequency Dictionary - word 800 is combien.

French Without Toil - Lesson 22 in the "look away and repeat" wave is up. This will become my primary
Assimil course for the moment.

Using French - Leçon 29 dans la salle de bains.

FSI Basic French - tape 10.3 is next.

Audio Livres - I'm listen/reading an old favorite in French/French - chapitre 2.

Learn French in your Car - I heard lesson 57 yesterday in my car of all places.

Le Sens du Bonheur - I wrapped up the final chapter at the gym yesterday. I recommend this as it is
surprisingly easy. The recording is about 12 hours long.

I have got an inkling to listen/read more and Assimil less. I'm not sure which track is most profitable at this
point.

Edited by luke on 19 September 2014 at 7:42pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7004 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 301 of 439
19 September 2014 at 4:08am | IP Logged 
French Frequency Dictionary - word 900 is avantage. I guess that's because of the advantage of using a Frequency dictionary.

French Without Toil - nothing since the previous post. Basically I've aborted this track for now.

Using French - Leçon 35 dans la salle de bains. I'm doing a lesson each day.

FSI Basic French - tape 10.5 got its first listen today.

Audio Livres - I'm listen/reading an old favorite in French/French - chapitre 2. I've been listening to this in the car too. There I'm on chapter 8 (about 3-4 hours into it).

Learn French in your Car - I finished lesson 57 today.

Chapter one of John Stuart Mill's autobiography - I listen/read this three times. Fr/Fr, En/Fr, and Fr/En. I listened to it again in the car today.

Sur la Liberté - by John Stuart Mill. I've listen/read this through chapter 3. Reading English, listening to French. I broke up the recording into paragraph long segments, which makes them about 1-6 minutes long. This is a great book and I've been able to keep my focus on this very well. I'm about 4 hours into it.

Quatre Accords - I'm listening to this in the car too. The female narrator has a nice voice and the narrative is pretty easy to follow.

L'Étranger de Camus - I listen to this in the gym. My comprehension is mostly pretty good. I'm still in the first half of the story.

Edited by luke on 19 September 2014 at 4:18am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7004 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 302 of 439
26 September 2014 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
A couple weeks ago I said I had a inkling to do more listen/reading and less Assimil, and that's what I've been doing.

French Frequency Dictionary - word 970 is conseiller. Some have advised that it's helpful to use a Frequency dictionary.

Using French - Leçon 41 dans la salle de bains.

FSI Basic French - tape 10.7 got its first listen today. It seems like it will be one of the easier ones.

Audio Livres - I listened to chapter 9 of an old favorite in the car today.

Learn French in your Car - starting lesson 58.

Sur la Liberté - by John Stuart Mill. I finished a grand tour of this listen/reading in En/Fr, Fr/En, and Fr/Fr. Next step will be to listen to it in the car or in the gym. I'll do both, but only one at a time.

Quatre Accords - I finished this short 2 hour audiobook in the car.

L'Étranger de Camus - I finished listening to this in the gym. I understood it pretty well.

So I've got to find some new listening material for the car. It probably will be Sur la Liberté along with the old favorite.

The gym needs a new audiobook too. I'm loading Philosophie Vivant, Democracy in America and compressing/truncating silence for Rousseau's Les Confessions.

Edited by luke on 26 September 2014 at 2:03am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4708 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 303 of 439
27 September 2014 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
One thing that is great about your log, Luke, is that it shows how consistent and regular you are. Very nice!
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7004 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 304 of 439
27 September 2014 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
One thing that is great about your log, Luke, is that it shows how consistent and regular
you are. Very nice!

That's funny. I thought it showed I was fickle.

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version