Tetraglot
India
Joined 4815 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 177 of 439
18 March 2014 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
It's wonderful that you've made such progress with FSI French. Reading your log was inspiring! :-)
You're doing unit 5 while I am still stuck at unit 4. I'll have to put my nose on the grindstone lest I fall behind. :-)
Bonne chance et bon apprentissage!
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7004 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 178 of 439
19 March 2014 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
It's wonderful that you've made such progress with FSI French. Reading your log was inspiring! :-)
You're doing unit 5 while I am still stuck at unit 4. I'll have to put my nose on the grindstone lest I fall behind. :-)

Merci bien monsieur.

I hadn't thought of my log as inspiring, but upon reflection, I remember that we language learners are very colorful in our word selection. It is nice to hear feedback. I had begun to think the microphone wasn't turned in this channel.

If anyone has an ftp server, I have an ftp client and would be happy to upload the FSI Basic French dialogues that I've extracted and given some Audacity treatment. Those are of course public domain. The dialogues are helpful because so many of the lexical drills are based upon them. Years ago when I called this thread "Learning French Fast", I had the idea of getting the dialogues down before doing the rest of the course. I've tempered that idea a bit, but have listened ahead through them all and believe knowing them well before the lesson starts will pay dividends as the lessons roll around.

Edited by luke on 19 March 2014 at 1:17am

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4815 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 

Message 179 of 439
19 March 2014 at 6:17am | IP Logged 
Je vous en prie. :-)
It's uncannily funny how I had the same idea about extracting the dialogues. I have already extracted the dialogues from the first four units.
I usually play the dialogue on a loop which I then shadow till I learn it by heart. Knowing the dialogue well helps with the drills later, especially during the "questions on the dialogue".
Anyway, you could upload the files on archive.com. FSI is in the pubic domain anyway so it should be alright. :-)
Vous êtes notre avant-garde maintenant! Explorez bien les exercices du FSI. Nous ne sommes pas très loin. :-)

Edited by napoleon on 19 March 2014 at 6:26am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7004 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 180 of 439
19 March 2014 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
Knowing the dialogue well helps with the drills later, especially during the "questions on the dialogue".

Excellent point.

napoleon wrote:
Anyway, you could upload the files on archive.com. FSI is in the pubic domain anyway so it should be alright. :-)

I have no fear on the public domain front. What I was hoping for is someone who has an ftp site that shares a directory via http. That makes it easy to share and retrieve files.

napoleon wrote:
Vous êtes notre avant-garde maintenant! Explorez bien les exercices du FSI. Nous ne sommes pas très loin. :-)

Je ne suis pas tres compétitif. Je suis plus coopératif. Ce n'est pas évident?

I'm not really competitive. I'm more cooperative, even if my net personality doesn't make that obvious.

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4815 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 

Message 181 of 439
19 March 2014 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:

Je ne suis pas tres compétitif. Je suis plus coopératif. Ce n'est pas évident?

Alors, on marchera ensemble. :-)

Edit:
Archive.com hosts files in virtual directories. It's not like a regular file sharing service at all. There are no captchas. No long waits.
You can even link directly to your files.
Plus it's unlikely that archive.com site will go offline, like the recent crisis at fsi language courses. :-)
This was just a suggestion. Upload them on FTP, if you prefer. :-)
Have a great day! :-)

Edited by napoleon on 19 March 2014 at 9:09am

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4708 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 182 of 439
19 March 2014 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
Everyone has their own preferred method of working on courses, but I'm not sure this is
a very good idea:

luke wrote:
napoleon wrote:
Knowing the dialogue well helps with the drills later,
especially during the "questions on the dialogue".

Excellent point.

For me, the real learning activity in FSI comes when you are working on the
drills. They are definitely hard, but it is hard work that engages the brain, which
makes the learning memorable. I find that after working on the drills, I can go back
to the dialogue and it is much easier. But if you make the drills easier, in a way you
might be cheating yourself out of the greatest strength of FSI.

I do like your idea of separating out the dialogue, because the dialogues contain a lot
of useful language. But I would prefer to use that as revision after completing the
lessons.

I don't want to discourage you from working in a way that keeps you motivated, but I
thought I'd share a different perspective.

And as a counter-point to myself: I think the FSI course writers expect their students
to memorize the dialogues. I guess this is probably done before completing the drills,
so your idea may be a good substitute for memorizing.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3806 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 183 of 439
19 March 2014 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
napoleon wrote:
It's wonderful that you've made such progress with FSI French. Reading
your log was inspiring! :-)
You're doing unit 5 while I am still stuck at unit 4. I'll have to put my nose on the grindstone lest I fall behind. :-
)

Merci bien monsieur.

I hadn't thought of my log as inspiring, but upon reflection, I remember that we language learners are very
colorful in our word selection. It is nice to hear feedback. I had begun to think the microphone wasn't turned
in this channel.

If anyone has an ftp server, I have an ftp client and would be happy to upload the FSI Basic French dialogues
that I've extracted and given some Audacity treatment. Those are of course public domain. The dialogues
are helpful because so many of the lexical drills are based upon them. Years ago when I called this thread
"Learning French Fast", I had the idea of getting the dialogues down before doing the rest of the course. I've
tempered that idea a bit, but have listened ahead through them all and believe knowing them well before the
lesson starts will pay dividends as the lessons roll around.

I don't have access to an FTP server, but if you are able to find one to upload the files, I would be very
interested in having a copy. I am working my way thru Assimil Using French, but after I finish, I plan to start
FSI... Thank you so much for your willingness to share!

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7004 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 184 of 439
19 March 2014 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Everyone has their own preferred method of working on courses, but I'm not sure this is a very good idea:

luke wrote:
napoleon wrote:
Knowing the dialogue well helps with the drills later,
especially during the "questions on the dialogue".

Excellent point.

For me, the real learning activity in FSI comes when you are working on the
drills. They are definitely hard, but it is hard work that engages the brain, which
makes the learning memorable. I find that after working on the drills, I can go back
to the dialogue and it is much easier. But if you make the drills easier, in a way you might be cheating yourself out of the greatest strength of FSI.

I do like your idea of separating out the dialogue, because the dialogues contain a lot of useful language. But I would prefer to use that as revision after completing the lessons.

And as a counter-point to myself: I think the FSI course writers expect their students to memorize the dialogues. I guess this is probably done before completing the drills, so your idea may be a good substitute for memorizing.

I wouldn't think of it as cheating. The goal of the FSI drills is automaticity, meaning do them correctly and effortlessly. If I think about the scenario in which the responses to a drill would make sense, and I can respond easily without much thought, I feel I've achieved the goal of the exercise.

For instance, if the drill is:
Q: Do you have some/the xxxxx?
R: Yes, I have an/the xxxxx.

And I mentally imagine I'm in a situation where someone wants to know if I have certain things, and the position I take is, "Yes, we have one", and I imagine having one of the things, then I'm golden.

Or, if the drills is:
Q: Do you have N yyyyys?
R: No, I have N+1 yyyyys.

I can imagine being in a one-upmanship with the questioner. Again, the goal is to think about the object, voitures, chats, etc.

This might sound obvious, but one can do some of the drills by just understanding the pattern and going into robot mode without thinking. That's better than nothing, but not the goal.

Imagining a scenario for the drill makes it more fun. The more absurd the scenario, the better.

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version