Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 129 of 439
25 April 2013 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
French Without Toil - I finished the first wave about a month ago and and now wave 2 is approaching the end. I reviewed lesson 120-126 (of 140). On wave 3, I did lessons 57-63. I also listened to lessons 1-140 in the background. After I do a round or two at the pace of 5 "new" lessons per day, I think I'll pick it up again around lesson 50 for a wrap-up, one lesson per day.

New French with Ease wave 1 is wrapping up. Today I listen/read lessons 109 of 113. I'm also reading into the grammar reference at the back of the book. On wave two, lessons 60-67 (of 113). This course is seems a lot easier than French Without Toil. I don't expect it to take as many waves to get most of the material down quite well. I also listened to lessons 1-113 in the background today.

Basic French Grammar by Resnick wrapped up again this past week. At some point I'll rip through it again focusing on the example sentences and the verb conjugations, which I haven't studied systematically yet.

Learn French in Your Car is going along at a leisurely pace. I did lesson 14 of 110 today. So far, it's pretty easy, although I occasionally think of Spanish answers for the translation exercises. I don't put too much stock in this book/course, but I imagine it will be a valueable supplement.

Using French I've almost finished my Listen/Reading wave, just doing each lesson once and moving on to the next. I'm imagining this will get another run at a one lesson per day pace. I understand pretty much everything, but I still want to brush up on the reading, spelling, etc. I'm listening to 1-70 (of 70) in the background today.

Business French I'm listening to one lesson a day in the car few days a week. I'm around lesson 26 of 40. This one will move to real study mode once the extra FWT and NFWE waves roll off.

I listen/read a few chapters of a familiar book this week. More comprehensible than ever. I also started listen/reading L'Etranger over the last couple days. I'm on chapter 4. This is more challenging than the other courses and books. I'm listening to the version read by the author.

Edited by luke on 01 June 2013 at 1:46am

1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 130 of 439
05 May 2013 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
French Without Toil - The end of wave 2 is within reach. I reviewed lessons 128-137 (of 140) this morning. On wave 3, I reviewed lessons 65-74.

New French with Ease - Wave two rolls on, today I reviewed lessons 69-78 (of 113).

Learn French in Your Car continues at a leisurely pace. I did lessons 18-19 of 110 yesterday. I've repeated several lessons to pickup the odd word or phrase. This morning I'm running the files through Audacity to "truncate silence". Not including the musical introductions makes the audio for the course go from about 10 1/4 hours to a little under 6. There will be a lot less "think" time in the recordings, but my goal is more to have a conscious understanding of the grammar points the course covers, rather than necessarily being able to translate each sentence cold.

Using French - I finished my Listen/Reading wave. That was after two normal trips through the course at a pace of one lesson per day, as well as some "preview" listen/reading waves, if I recall correctly. I've been listening to this in the background at times and it is pretty much all understandable. It may be time to move on from this one for a while.

Business French - I continue listening to one lesson a day in the car most days. I'm around lesson 33 of 40. I'll start studying this after wave 2 wraps on French Without Toil.

With my forays into native materials, I am very hopeful I'll be able to make the transition without too much difficulty once I wrap up the Assimil courses, a trip through the French in Action videos, Le Petit Prince (again), L'Étranger (again), Candide (again), etc, tout ira bien. It may seem silly to painstakingly lay a foundation like this, but as the months go by, I see the benefits and know my French is gradually, systematically improving. I still have the weak points of spelling and conversation. I think those will slowly improve even without a head-on assault. With a good foundation of listening, reading, and speaking (which is not necessarily conversation), I believe activation can then happen quickly should the opportunity ever present itself.

Edited by luke on 01 June 2013 at 1:45am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 131 of 439
18 May 2013 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
French Without Toil - The end of wave 2 is at hand. I reviewed lessons 137-140 (of 140) this morning. On wave 3, I reviewed lesson 87.

New French with Ease - Wave two rolls on, today I reviewed lessons 89-90 (of 113).

Learn French in Your Car I worked on lesson 27 of 110 yesterday. I've repeated several lessons to pickup the odd word or phrase. Running the files through Audacity a week or two ago was a good idea. For lessons that are primarily a word or phrase, there was really too much "think" time. I haven't yet got to any lessons that are more than a short sentence.

Using Spanish - (in French) - I've been quickly listen/reading Using Spanish with French translations. It is apparent how similar Spanish and French are genetically, although not phonetically with this exercise.

Business French - I finished my "listen only" pass in the car a week or so ago. I'll start this one up in earnest in about a week.

I've been using this last part of the log to speculate about where my studies might go next. I'm still thinking a a quick listen/read run at New French with Ease and French Without Toil will be a useful launch pad and consolidation for further studies. That's 2-3 months off at the current pace.

Edited by luke on 27 May 2013 at 7:13pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 132 of 439
27 May 2013 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
French Without Toil - On wave 3, I'm around lesson 97 (of 140) today.

New French with Ease - Wave two rolls on, today I'm around lesson 98 (of 113).

Learn French in Your Car I'm working on lessons 30 of 110.

Using Spanish - (in French) - I finished my first listen/read of this one last week. I'm putting it down for the time being.

Using French - I'm kind of doing a more proper wave 2 (translation) approach. This is actually my 3rd trip through the course at a one lesson per day pace. Today I did lesson 3 of 70.

Business French - I've started a second "listen only" pass in the car to familarize myself with the course. I'm going to wait until the second wave of New French with Ease wraps up before I put this one in the rotation. That choice is primarily so I don't spread myself too thin when the NFWE is just getting into the deep water.

Current speculation on what comes next is putting Assimil deep into the background, a quick trip through the French in Action videos, than more fullfilling study of real French material from http://litteratureaudio.com.

Edited by luke on 27 May 2013 at 7:16pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 133 of 439
04 June 2013 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
French Without Toil - On wave 3, I'm on lesson 104 (of 140) today. I'm listening to 95-140 in the background today.

New French with Ease - Wave two rolls is almost finished. Today was lesson 106 (of 113).

Learn French in Your Car I'm on lesson 31 of 110.

Using French - I'm doing more of a wave 2 (translation) approach. This is my 3rd trip through at the pace of one lesson each day. Today, lesson 10 of 70.

Business French - My second "listen only" pass in the car has me at lesson 4 of 40.

I started reading Le Petit Nicholas. I wish I had the audio. It's not too difficult, but there is some unknown vocabulary. I like the book. This will be a part time, once or twice a week read. It's well suited for that, as each chapter is a complete story.

Edited by luke on 26 June 2013 at 1:17pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 134 of 439
22 July 2013 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
French Without Toil - Wave 3 is wrapping up. I'm through lesson 140 of 140. I've got a few trailing review lessons left. I can see picking this up again around lesson 90 to revise the most advanced lessons.

New French with Ease - Wave two wrapped up a few weeks ago. I listened to the last 60 or so lessons in the background one day after that.

Learn French in Your Car I let this one go.

Using French - On my 3rd trip through at the pace of one lesson per day. Right now, I'm around lesson 45 of 70.

Business French - My second "listen only" pass in the car has me at lesson 30 of 40. I was on a flight this past weekend and listen/read up to lesson 20. I've got another flight scheduled, so hopefully will make more progress on this preview wave this week.

Right now, my plans are to familiarize myself with Business French and start a one lesson per day trip through it once I return from my business trip. I'll listen to the other courses at times in the background. I'll keep Using French in the bathroom slot.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 135 of 439
10 August 2013 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
Using French - On my 3rd trip through I'm on lesson 65 of 70 today.

Business French - I continue to listen to Business French. I read through many of the dialogues during a couple of air flights a few weeks ago. When the current Using French wraps up, I'll move Business French to the bath, where the book will get some attention each day and I can intensify my study of this course.

I've been using more native materials the last 2 weeks. One of the books/recordings I've been using is L'Utilitarism de John Stuart Mill. That book has been interesting. I went through it once listening to and reading it in English. That was very helpful.   One thing I've found interesting about this book is that the summaries, write-ups, student project videos, etc that I've found on the book (in English) mostly miss the point of his philosophical position. So the cool thing there is just the additional draw to original sources (and where possible, in the original language). French is great here in that not only have a lot of famous books been written in French, but also the French take a great deal of pride in "le mot juste", which seems to have made for plentiful translations. Here my point is that I'm unlikely to ever read Plato in Greek, but reading it in both English and French may give a more accurate representation of what the original author wrote.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5173 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Studies: French

Message 136 of 439
10 August 2013 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
Interesting strategy, Luke. It shows how versatile Assimil is.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version