Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 9 of 48
04 September 2007 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Ok guys, here's a short 30 second example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.filelime.com/upload/files/Korean_Ms_and_Bs.mp3

This is from lesson 2. Here's my transcription of what it sounds like to me:

- Answer, "I can't." Literally, "cannot speak."

- Moot Haeyo (I know it's "Mot," but it sounds like a long "U" sound to me, hence "Moot.")

- Haeyo

- Boot Haeyo

- I can't speak English

- YongEoReul Boot HaeYo

- YongEoReul Boot HaeYo

You will never convince me that she is saying "Mot" and not "Boot" in those last few examples. I have listened to this over and over again. She's saying "boot," like what you put on your foot in the Winter.

Edited by IronFist on 04 September 2007 at 10:50pm

1 person has voted this message useful

solidsnake
Diglot
China
Joined 6835 days ago

469 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 10 of 48
05 September 2007 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
I hear B the entire time, but it is not an aspirated b, and it has a very slight nasal m quality. I think depending on the syllables that come before it, the consonant initial becomes more or less prevalent.

Seriously korean pronunciation is not that hard at all really. The grammar however, is another story.

IronFist
United States
Joined 6231 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 

Message 11 of 48
05 September 2007 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
Good. Someone else hears the B :)

The grammar isn't that bad. It's like a harder version of Japanese. Ok, it is that bad... but grammar doesn't matter when I can't pronounce or hear anything :)

omg can you imagine if Korean had genders (that weren't obvious from looking at the word) and noun cases like German?

Edited by IronFist on 05 September 2007 at 12:33am

maxb
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6977 days ago

536 posts - 589 votes 
7 sounds
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 12 of 48
05 September 2007 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
I also hear it as a B sound. I think that this can be an example of the fact that a sound in a language is not a discreet entity but rather a range of sounds which to a native speaker sound the same, but to a speaker of another language may sound like two different sounds altogether. Conversely, sounds, which sound the same to a learner of a certain language ,sound completely different to a native speaker of the same language.

Edited by maxb on 05 September 2007 at 3:40am

2 persons have voted this message useful

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6153 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Latin

Message 13 of 48
05 September 2007 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
Hmm.. I've heard Korean all my life, but I don't think I've consciously picked that 'b' sound up before (though there are some exceptions). However, if you think about the way a 'b' and a 'm' are pronounced, it's the same place of articulation, so it's understandable as to why that would happen.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6562 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 14 of 48
05 September 2007 at 7:36am | IP Logged 
Even in certain Japanese words, m can sound like b to anglophone ears. Something about the m being a little more "curt".

Keith
Diglot
JapanRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6571 days ago

526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 48
05 September 2007 at 7:56am | IP Logged 
The first time sounds like "Woo TeOh". Maybe an unaspirated Woo.
The other times sound like the speaker says it with her mouth closed at the beginning.

I'll bet if you position your mouth like you are going to say "Woo" and then close the opening, and then say it, you will sound right. Be sure to control your aspiration, though. You don't want to force air out of your mouth.

IronFist
United States
Joined 6231 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 

Message 16 of 48
05 September 2007 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
I'd upload clips of me speaking but I don't have a microphone on my computer.

I know a few native Korean speakers at work, but I don't think I'd get honest feedback from them. This one lady found out I could say "Annyeong haseyo" and she brought me over to her boss and goes "IronFist speaks perfect Korean... watch this." hahaha.

Jason, you're right about M and B being pronounced with similar formations of the mouth. I'm sure English does "weird" things like that to people who are not familiar with the sounds.

I guess it's frustrating because if I hear a new word in Japanese I know exactly how to pronounce it and exactly how to write it (in hiragana, at least) after I hear it once or maybe twice. In Korean, I'll hear a word, look it up in a Korean dictionary but not be able to find it, and then look it up in the English half of the dictionary and be like "oh... that's how you write it?" which, half the time, looks nothing like how I was pronouncing it.

I'm positive this is because of how my ears are processing the sounds. I'm sure a native Korean could hear a new word in Korean and know instantly how to spell it and say it correctly. But not me :)

Maybe the same thing happens in English. Maybe a Korean hears the word "knight" and thinks "neit" or "nite" and then is like "wtf?" when they see that it is spelled "knight." But at least we only have one "n" sound and one "t" sound, so they don't have to determine if it's "knight", "knightt," or "knight'". Haha.

Ugh.

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version