Joined 6449 days ago

186 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean*

Message 33 of 48
03 November 2007 at 5:09am | IP Logged 
hagen wrote:
[QUOTE=ShreddaCheese]
For all the praise one can heap upon Hangul (Hangeul, Hankul, ...), it certainly didn't further the emergence of a standard romanisation (cf. pinyin).

Nevertheless, it does provide a standardized system for pronunciation. Whether a standard romanization is created depends on the government. Actually, the government has created a standard Romanization system, but I don't trust it because it's not completely accurate.It may be standard, but it's not correct. For the system to be close to accurate, they would have to hire translators that are native Korean and/or English speakers to develop it, not just people with degrees, but people who have a clear grasp of pronunciation. Maybe they did, but there are still errors.
1 person has voted this message useful

nhk9
Canada
Joined 6598 days ago

290 posts - 319 votes 

Message 34 of 48
17 November 2007 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
The last few days I've been talking with several Korean native speakers. And it seems to me that I've been pronouncing some words incorrectly for the last 2 years. This week I was fortunate enough to meet Koreans who were willing to share their thoughts on Korean phonetics.

It seems like the "s" sound is quite different from anything I've encountered before. Many textbooks state that the "ss" sound is simply a stronger, breathier sound, but I think there's more into that. To pronounce the "s" sound, it seems like one must relax his/her tongue, and try to attach it to the lower side of the mouth. Then, one should have a slight puff of air to go with it. This is quite different from the English s, as one would place the tongue somewhere in the middle part of the mouth when pronouncing that sound. The English and Korean "s" sounds are very similar, yet differ in a subtle way. Would you guys have a different way of looking at it?

3 persons have voted this message useful

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6166 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 

Message 35 of 48
11 June 2009 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
I wish there was a book or course to learn EXACTLY how to pronounce the 'tense'
consonant. I've looked it up and what it ACTUALLY means is 'breathy voice' which is
something to do with opening your vocal cords more - which is mind blowing to me - and I
don't really understand how to do that. I guess the 'plain' consonants are like in French
with no aspiration. Apparently, as an actual aspirant it's [ɦ] which is a sound too.

Well, I guess I'll go back to the delights of other languages.

julie1275
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 5488 days ago

12 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: Korean*, EnglishC2
Studies: Mandarin

Message 36 of 48
09 September 2009 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
After a few times of trying, I finally noticed the problem. Yeah, it's quite likely
for native English speakers to be confused by some Korean consonants. The exact
articulation of ㅁ(M) lies somewhere between English m and b; ㄴ(N), English n and d;
etc.

That's because Korean has only 3 voiced consonants(ㄴ, ㅁ, ㄹ / N, M and L),
while English has a wide variety of voiced consonants(b, d, g, l, m, n, r, v, etc). It
means that native Koreans need not pronounce ㅁ(M) soft enough to be differentiated
from ㅂ(B), because ㅂ(B) is a voiceless consonant unlike English b, which is a voiced
consonant. It's just like English speakers can tell p from b(p is voiceless and b is
voiced).

In other words, no matter 못(Mot) sounds like Mot or Bot, Koreans don't get confused
because it's voiced. Most Koreans take m and b sound as ㅁ(M), because Korean ㅂ(B) is
totally different from English b. Korean ㅂ(b) is more like p, in that they are both
voiceless consonant. Yeah, it would be easier for you to think ㅂ(b) is just softer
version of p.

So, if you couldn't have followed me, just get this. Korean ㅁ(M) lies somewhere
between English m and b; Korean ㄴ(N), between English English n and d. And Korean ㅂ
and ㄷ(B and D) is fundamentally different sound from English b and d. If you can
pronounce it correctly, then you would amaze Koreans for your pronunciation.

# For advanced learners, who knows how to write Korean.
To be honest, I was taught that Korean has 4 voiced consonants, one of which is ㅇ(Ee-
Eung). As you may know, ㅇ(Ee-Eung) sometimes comes when the syllable has no consonant
in the place where consonant should be and sometimes is placed as counterpart of 'ng'.
For example, 양(YANG, a sheep) has ㅇ(Ee-Eung, the case that ㅇ is used where consonant
sould be), ㅑ(Ya) and ㅇ(Ee-Eung, NG) like this(양). And when you pronounced the word
양(YANG), I'm sure you will notice the fact that both ㅇ(Ee-Eung) were voiced(at least
it sounded like it was voiced).

# I wrote Korean with capital letters and English with small letters, just because it's
easy to identify.

# I thought you couldn't see 한글(Hanguel) unless your computer has East Asian IME
language pack -ctfmon or something like that- but I included 한글 alongside
Romanization as you requested.

Edited by julie1275 on 14 September 2009 at 5:59pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

virgule
Antarctica
Joined 6634 days ago

242 posts - 261 votes 
Studies: Korean

Message 37 of 48
11 September 2009 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
I would recommend Sounds of Korean, which addresses many problems discussed here. It includes some of the best descriptions of how to produce the different sounds in Korean I know (including illustrations of the mouth), and comes with a CD full of MP3 (that's a lot of audio!), and many exercises to help you differentiate between different sounds.

Miho Choo and W. O'Grady, The Sounds of Korean: A Pronunciation Guide (University of Hawaii Press, 2003).

Thanks, Julie, the 한글 helps!

Edited by virgule on 02 October 2009 at 9:00pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

aegi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 5779 days ago

33 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*, Korean

Message 38 of 48
20 September 2009 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
As one who 'passes' as a Korean on the phone, I offer this advice: Don't connect the sounds of 한글 to English sounds. An initial 기역 corresponds neatly to neither 'k' nor 'g', and the proper pronunciation comes only after dispensing with the Roman alphabet and after much 'living' practice.
4 persons have voted this message useful

JamieAnderson
Canada
uregina.ca
Joined 5300 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes

Message 39 of 48
30 October 2009 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
With the glottal sounds, the double consonants an easy rule is the breath, when you pronounce a double connsonant hold your hand near your mouth - you should feel considerably less breath or air being released when you pronounce double consonants as compared to regular consonants. This is because the double consonant is pronounced more by using the throat. You can say it sounds harsher and throatier (if thats a word) :P

alivahit
Diglot
Turkey
Joined 4526 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Korean

Message 40 of 48
11 December 2011 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
I have been studying Korean on and off for about two years. At first, I had begun to study on my own and because of the exact same problems Ironfist faced, I stopped after a couple of months. It was too strange and incomprehensible for me to understand on my own. Two months ago, I began taking lessons from a native Korean speaker. Some students in the class were apparently having the same problem. However much we asked the teacher about it, she just very confidently said that she isn't pronouncing ᄆ in 뭐 like ᄇ, or ᄂ in 네 like ᄃ. To her, the two sounds must be exactly same I guess. So, afterwards, I decided to not care about it too much. I hope, with enough time and effort, I will be proficient enough to not realize any strangeness with these types of pronounciations.

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version