Groupie
Canada
Joined 4532 days ago

60 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: English, Mandarin*, Korean
Studies: German

Message 41 of 48
12 December 2011 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
I think it may be because you're subconciously comparing the sounds with English sounds. I've never had this problem with Korean myself, but then I'm used to sounds that don't exist in English because I'm a native Mandarin speaker.
1 person has voted this message useful

Anno
Triglot
Israel
acquiringkorean.word
Joined 5423 days ago

29 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English, Korean, Dutch
Studies: Turkish, Mongolian, Modern Hebrew, French

Message 42 of 48
25 December 2012 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
It's funny because I think learning Korean has somewhat ruined my perception of the sounds in other languages -- I
now sometimes have a hard time distinguishing 'r' and 'l' or 't', 'd', and 'n' in other (phonetically easier) languages. I
never had a hard time distinguishing between 'r' and 'l' before.

Similarly, if I'm reading or thinking in Korean I sometimes make 'he'/'she' mistakes if I try suddenly to speak in
English.

Edited by newyorkeric on 28 December 2012 at 2:51pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

picnick
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4143 days ago

22 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: Tagalog, English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 43 of 48
29 December 2012 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
I agree with a lot of others that I think correlating Korean sounds to English sounds
won't work. If possible, learn the hangul right away and focus only on learning through
hangul, as romanization will barely help in proper pronunciation. Hangul follows very
logical pronunciation patterns. The things mentioned are quite common especially in the
Seoul dialect.

Nasal consanants (ㅁ,ㄴ) often get pronounced with the nasal passages blocked, meaning
they often sound like b's or d's. Someone already explained the voicing earlier,
though, as to why Koreans don't get these mixed up.

As for 못 sounding like boot, it's because the 오 sound often becomes pronounced closer
to an 우 sound. For example when people say "me too", 나도, it's often pronounced 나두 in
Seoul, and when people text or Internet speak we often spell it like that to be
funny/cute.

As for why 합니다 is pronounced haMnida, and not haBnida, is due to nasalization
(correct me if I'm wrong on this term? it might be assimilation? LOL). When a consonant
(ㅂ) is followed by a nasal consonant (ㄴ), the former generally nasalizes into the
nasal form, in this case ㅁ, which just makes it easier to pronounce. In fact most of
the Korean sound changes are to make things easier to pronounce, not harder! :D

All I can say to improve Korean pronunciation is consume a lot of Korean media; watch
TV shows, listen to music, etc. I would call my Korean only at a low intermediate
level, but my friends tell me my pronunciation is one of my strong points. I think it's
because I listen to way too much Korean music :P. Personally, I never realized that 뭐
or 네 sounded like 붜 or 데 until some other Korean learners asked me about it. It just
sounded natural to me! :D
2 persons have voted this message useful

OneFreeKorea
United States
onefreekorea.coRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4161 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Studies: Korean

Message 44 of 48
10 January 2013 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
tsp_uk wrote:
I'm sure you will all be impressed by this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB6Ot38AWMk

These people are from Russia yet their Korean is so good, anybody knows why?

Excellent prosody and implementation of nasalisation, assimilation, tensification, and other fundamental Korean
pronunciation rules.

Victor Berrjod
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
no.vvb.no/
Joined 4903 days ago

62 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 45 of 48
14 January 2013 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to add something to the discussion of the "double" consonants of Korean, because I've had interesting discussions about Korean phonetics with Rolf Theil, a professor of linguistics at the University of Oslo. He is currently studying aspiration and voice in Nordic plosive consonants, so this is just the thing he's interested in.

When I asked how the "double" consonants in Korean are pronounced, he compared the Korean plosives to Eastern Norwegian ones (which correspond nicely to English when it comes to aspiration and voice), using labial ones as examples. Although I can't draw it here, I can represent the simple diagrams he drew for me like this: | for the explosion of air, = for voicing, and - for absence of voice.

In the initial position, voiceless plosives will be aspirated in Norwegian, so voicing will begin well into the vowel:
<pil> [pʰìːl] "arrow" |--=====

Voiced plosives don't have aspiration, but are not as voiced as in e.g. Spanish:
<bil> [b̥ìːl] "car" -=|====

Compare Spanish, which has fully voiced, and voiceless unaspirated plosives:
<besos> ['besos] "kisses" ==|==--==--
<pesos> ['pesos] "pesos" |==--==--

The Korean <ㅂ> /b/ is also aspirated, but not as much as Norwegian:
<박> [päk̚] or [pʰäk̚] (a common family name, 朴) |-==-
Between voiced sound, it becomes voiced by assimilation:
<일본> [ilbon] "Japan, 日本" ====|====

Korean also has a more aspirated one, which doesn't become voiced intervocalically, <ㅍ> /pʰ/. It may be slightly more aspirated than Norwegian ones:
<파> [pʰä] "spring onion" |---==

So then we're left with <ㅃ>, which, like Spanish /p/ is also unaspirated and unvoiced. However, professor Theil explained that while <ㅂ> represents a lax, slightly aspirated sound, and <ㅍ> represents a tense aspirated one, <ㅃ> represents a tense unaspirated one.
4 persons have voted this message useful

expatmaddy
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 4122 days ago

19 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin

Message 46 of 48
30 January 2013 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
Victor, that was extremely useful and I think your diagrams are spot on. I've been
looking for a way to explain this to my friends and I think this will help a lot!

Aquila123
Tetraglot
Norway
mydeltapi.com
Joined 5100 days ago

201 posts - 262 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Finnish, Russian

Message 47 of 48
12 February 2013 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Korean sounds funny. But tense - is that the same as glottalized - That is: you close the glottal cords and press the sound out with a harder pressure made in the throut?

Edited by Aquila123 on 14 February 2013 at 7:26pm

Victor Berrjod
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
no.vvb.no/
Joined 4903 days ago

62 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 48 of 48
12 February 2013 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
The tense consonants are described in so many different ways and called so many different things that I honestly don't think anyone has a good answer to that. Like the voice onset time continuum I illustrated above, there are also glottalization continuums. The Korean tense consonants are obviously not ejectives, but a certain degree of glottalization is not out of the question.

If x-rays weren't dangerous (and illegal for phonetic research), it might be easy to find out, but alas...

EDIT: I checked the article about Korean phonology on Wikipedia, and it had this to say about the tense consonants:

"The IPA symbol ⟨◌͈⟩ (a subscript double straight quotation mark, shown here with a placeholder circle) is used to denote the tensed consonants /p͈/, /t͈/, /k͈/, /t͈ɕ/, /s͈/. Its official use in the Extensions to the IPA is for 'strong' articulation, but is used in the literature for faucalized voice. The Korean consonants also have elements of stiff voice, but it is not yet known how typical this is of faucalized consonants. They are produced with a partially constricted glottis and additional subglottal pressure in addition to tense vocal tract walls, laryngeal lowering, or other expansion of the larynx."

Edited by Victor Berrjod on 12 February 2013 at 11:55pm

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version