64 messages over 8 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 58 of 64
27 December 2008 at 6:34am | IP Logged 
Unfortunately ;) no. I heard more Finnish there than anywhere else outside Finland though :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6506 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 59 of 64
31 December 2008 at 5:00am | IP Logged 
I'm biased... I say choose Hungarian ;)

But everyone who has said to choose the culture, not so much the language is completely right! I have close ties to Hungarian people - people who I'd class as my family - and that's the only reason why I've been able to stick to my studies and keep pushing through. Learning a language is not always easy and you really do need to have a point of 'obsession' to keep you pushing through!

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6682 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 60 of 64
31 December 2008 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
Leopejo wrote:
cordelia0507 wrote:
Oh, mark my word, Finnish is near impossible to learn. ...
These are people who have experience of successfully learning German, French, Russian and English... They knew they met their match!

Cordelia, I fear that you are underestimating Camambert's language learning skills :-)

Ha haa, Cordelia's post was entertaining to read and I can appreciate where those views are coming from. Finnish is a big challenge indeed. Luckily I am exempt from the difficulties myself since I had the chance to absorb it naturally in childhood, almost as a second native tongue.

But there is no reason for someone with enough motivation to lose heart and be discouraged. I certainly believe that his learning abilities will be sufficient to get him there in the end, provided he can keep up his interest. After all it is such a fascinating language. It is no mean feat to get there, and the prize waiting for you at the end of the tunnel is well worth the hardship.

PS. And don't forget that we have an excellent counter-example right here in the forum in Serpent, who managed to reach dizzying levels of proficiency in Finnish over a relatively short period of time.

Edited by Hencke on 31 December 2008 at 7:19am

3 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6060 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 61 of 64
31 December 2008 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
I would say Hungarian, simply because I am more likely to go to Hungary than to Finland (I was in Vienna, perhaps an hour's drive from the Hungarian border, only last week).

sprachefin
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5534 days ago

300 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Spanish
Studies: French, Turkish, Mandarin, Bulgarian, Persian, Dutch

Message 62 of 64
03 March 2009 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
I know this may be a bit late to reply to but I just think that you should have some insight on someone who is
learning the language Finnish. Yes it is a bit difficult to catch the rhythm and get the pronunciation right at the
same time. I have not been learning it long enough to call myself "good" at all, but I have some insight which is
slightly biased due to my current learning. It is not impossible, and when Swedish people who try to learn the
language fail, they deem it "impossible." I think that this reason is because the Swedish language has been fairly
prominent in Finland so the Swedes have not had the need. There is always that subconscious knowledge that they
will never need it so they do not persevere hard enough. Yes it is very difficult but one will succeed if you truly love
Finland and if you are willing to try. I have been able to learn a fair amount in the time I have been learning. In
order to actually answer the question of this thread, I am going to say Finnish. You say you do not care for
"usefulness." Finnish can be useful but it is still very hard. The Finnish do have Nokia but I would call Finland a
prime example of a vacation. Winter sports, beautiful scenery, and kind people are only of the few wonderful things
they have to offer.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Gül Baba
Triglot
Hungary
erikreadingbooks.blo
Joined 6447 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Hungarian*, Romanian, English
Studies: Turkish

Message 63 of 64
01 January 2011 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
Masked Avenger wrote:
[QUOTE=Camambert]
Hungary is located in the middle of Europe, yes that had an impact, but one can not underestimate the influence of Turkish during the long Ottoman occupation and that had a signiicant influence on Hungarian.

Actually the Turkish influence during Ottoman occupation during (1526-1699) (when one third of the country was under Ottoman rule)on the Hungarian language was minimal.
Words of Ottoman Turkish origin:
áfium, aga, baksis, basa, bég, beglerbég, bogrács, csiriz, csuha, dandár, deli, dervis, dívány, dohány, dolmány, dzsida, findzsa, gyaur, handzsár, hodzsa, hombár, ibrik, imám, iszlám, janicsár, joghurt, kádi, kaftán, kalpag, kátrány, kávé, kazán, kefe, korbács, kurd, mámoros, martalóc, mecset, mufti, müezzin, oszmán, pajtás, pajzán, pamut, papucs, pasa, sah, szandzsák, szattyán, szeráj, szpáhi, szultán, tarhonya, zseb, zsiger.

But you have to keep in mind that the Turkic influence in Hungarian is very old and continuous: before the Hungarian conquest in 896 and even after. Hungarians mingled, lived with and were influenced by Turkic tribes. For sure from the ten tribes which made up the tribal union, the three Kabar tribes were of Turkic Khazarian origin. In the 13 century in Hungary were settled in great numbers the Cumanians (Kunok) and before that even other turkic tribes like the Petchenegs(Besenyők). One can say that the Conqueror Hungarians were ethnically Turkics: the Turkic component in Hungarians was very strong and regarded the Turkics as their kinfolks. Though Hungarian is regarded a Finno-Ugric language , as distant to Finnish or Estonian as German to Persian, we Hungarians are not related genetically with Finno-Ugric peoples.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6944 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 64 of 64
03 January 2011 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
Gül Baba wrote:
Masked Avenger wrote:
[QUOTE=Camambert]
Hungary is located in the middle of Europe, yes that had an impact, but one can not underestimate the influence of Turkish during the long Ottoman occupation and that had a signiicant influence on Hungarian.

Actually the Turkish influence during Ottoman occupation during (1526-1699) (when one third of the country was under Ottoman rule)on the Hungarian language was minimal.
Words of Ottoman Turkish origin:
áfium, aga, baksis, basa, bég, beglerbég, bogrács, csiriz, csuha, dandár, deli, dervis, dívány, dohány, dolmány, dzsida, findzsa, gyaur, handzsár, hodzsa, hombár, ibrik, imám, iszlám, janicsár, joghurt, kádi, kaftán, kalpag, kátrány, kávé, kazán, kefe, korbács, kurd, mámoros, martalóc, mecset, mufti, müezzin, oszmán, pajtás, pajzán, pamut, papucs, pasa, sah, szandzsák, szattyán, szeráj, szpáhi, szultán, tarhonya, zseb, zsiger.

But you have to keep in mind that the Turkic influence in Hungarian is very old and continuous: before the Hungarian conquest in 896 and even after. Hungarians mingled, lived with and were influenced by Turkic tribes. For sure from the ten tribes which made up the tribal union, the three Kabar tribes were of Turkic Khazarian origin. In the 13 century in Hungary were settled in great numbers the Cumanians (Kunok) and before that even other turkic tribes like the Petchenegs(Besenyők). One can say that the Conqueror Hungarians were ethnically Turkics: the Turkic component in Hungarians was very strong and regarded the Turkics as their kinfolks. Though Hungarian is regarded a Finno-Ugric language , as distant to Finnish or Estonian as German to Persian, we Hungarians are not related genetically with Finno-Ugric peoples.

It's less than certain that the ancient Hungarians could be considered ethnically Turkic (notwithstanding the fringe movements in Pan-Turkism or Turanism). What is more likely is that the ancient Hungarians were a mixed people. The only things that seemed common to all of them was a sense of belonging to one of the 7 tribes (10 if you count the 3 auxillary tribes of Kabars) and presumably a common language that was probably Finno-Ugric. In any case now, so what if the Hungarians are or are not genetically related to people speaking Finno-Ugric languages? If I recall correctly, most Hungarians today are best classified as "European" and aren't all that different genetically from neighboring peoples. They certainly would be clutching at straws by trying to imagine a meaningful ethnic link to Turkic peoples.

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version