Triglot
Spain
Joined 6152 days ago

503 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 1 of 119
14 January 2008 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
I initially had never even intended to learn German, but the opportunities for more accessible post secondary education in Europe seem to at the moment be quite persuasive... it was also apparent to me in spending the last four months travelling all over eastern Europe, that far more people speak the language than I had originally considered.

However, I don't intend to learn German very intensively until my French gets at least into the upper-intermediate range... so at the moment that might look like perhaps 15-30 minutes a day with Assimil.

*March 22*
Having completed the first 16 units of Assimil German, I am going to deviate into a LR experiment... I suspect that this will occupy the next 3 weeks to a month, and thus I don't expect to continue progressing with Assimil German during this time, although I will attempt to at least review the units I have worked though.

*June 10*
Finished LRing 100 hours (over 80 days), obviously not done in a month for both books, but seeing as how HP6 was over 22 hours and I generally don't study on weekends, I'd have to have been averaging 5 hours a day to do that, which was not an option. Current plans for German are to repickup Assimil at a unit a day /w shadowing pace (5 days a week), and to try and LR 40 min or so a day (likely I will do this with the Hobbit, since I think I need a new idiolect). Maybe I will return to Metamorphosis, not sure yet).

Edited by blindsheep on 10 June 2008 at 7:52pm

1 person has voted this message useful

blindsheep
Triglot
Spain
Joined 6152 days ago

503 posts - 507 votes 

Message 2 of 119
15 January 2008 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
I spent about 1hr 10 minutes on Assimil German today... first blindshadowing, and then listen-reading it... when I listened again after I had maybe 80 percent immediate retention (ie: I didn't need to think about what was said after the fact)... I wonder if I shadowed at the same time as listen-reading if I would increase the retention.

blindsheep
Triglot
Spain
Joined 6152 days ago

503 posts - 507 votes 

Message 3 of 119
17 January 2008 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
I spent about 40 minutes shadowing Unit 2 of Assimil German... I understand it without the next, although I havenĀ“t memorized unit 2 yet... in the plans though.

blindsheep
Triglot
Spain
Joined 6152 days ago

503 posts - 507 votes 

Message 4 of 119
20 January 2008 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
Reviewed unit 2, I had accidently started unit 10 the other day (while not completing 2-9) but I decided for interest to complete it anyways... I understand it all now, but can't quite recite it from memory yet. About 40 minutes yesterday or so.

blindsheep
Triglot
Spain
Joined 6152 days ago

503 posts - 507 votes 

Message 5 of 119
21 January 2008 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
I now have pretty much full retention of units 1-4 and 10... I have some minor pronunciation problems, mostly with the 'ch' sound on the end of words... I've been learning while shadowing or listen-reading most of the time, so I have partially active knowledge of what I've learned.

a little over an hour today

blindsheep
Triglot
Spain
Joined 6152 days ago

503 posts - 507 votes 

Message 6 of 119
26 January 2008 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
I did some work for about 25-30 min on Assimil reviewing what I had learned, and starting work on unit 5.

blindsheep
Triglot
Spain
Joined 6152 days ago

503 posts - 507 votes 

Message 7 of 119
25 February 2008 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
I've added about 100 German flashcards over the last two weeks... I've reviewed units 1-4 and 10 several times. Now I have a stable place to live, I should start making more regular progress.

blindsheep
Triglot
Spain
Joined 6152 days ago

503 posts - 507 votes 

Message 8 of 119
28 February 2008 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
I spent about 1hr15 on German, first writing out and learning lessons 5-6 and then shadowing them. Will review them next while trying to add unit 7 and maybe 8. Thinking about trying to pull a 'Volte' with German & LR... I want to see if I'd be able to find 4 hrs a day for a week to get a feel for if I've made sufficient progress. Going to at least edit a German ebook or two to work with tomorrow hopefully.

This discussion contains 119 messages over 15 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version