United States
kealist.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6024 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Uyghur, Mandarin, Shanghainese

Message 33 of 62
29 August 2008 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
Well, i haven't downloaded any more audiobooks for a while, but it looks like you have to use the thunder:// protocol now. haven't quite figured out how to use that yet. Looks like Xunlei has some kind of adware program to download these types of files. I will look when I am on a windows machine again. Makes me sad that they are not so easily downloadable anymore. let me know if anyone has success
1 person has voted this message useful

kealist
United States
Joined 6024 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 34 of 62
29 August 2008 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
Ok, a little bit more of an update.   My plan for the summer had been to learn at least 3000 (or 5000) characters. I didn't even make half that, but I think that I could have easily.   I learned the first 700 in around 2 weeks.   and the last 10 weeks i picked up about 400 more.   slightly unbalanced, but I find that I will skip some days and get overloaded by revisions.   (Such as right now I have 350 cards to go through). I haven't used mnemonics at all really, just trying to remember. It's not so bad, but some cards are difficult to remember.

I was wanting to do to all Chinese all the time for the summer and I did listen to a lot, but until this week I haven't really figured out how to do that well. I have finally converted the websites I use into mandarin. I've been watching a lot of dubbed movies lately (star wars movies, lotr, dumb and dumber(!!!!), disney movies) which is a lot more fun. I watched a series this summer that was enjoyable and have been listening to the same 25 songs all summer in my iPod.   I enjoy it, and I slowly pick up things and I feel pretty comfortable listening to Chinese. I understand slightly more and more, but my comprehension is still low.

So I want to rush through 3000 characters in the next 4 months before christmas. I don't know if I can still do grad school in Taiwan next year after the summer, but I still believe it is possible.   Just need to stay having fun.

Hope everyone's studies are going well.

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5936 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 35 of 62
29 August 2008 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
I hate Xunlei. My system is already configured to use Japanese encoding for non-Unicode programs and Xunlei's Chinese interface is just messed up. Furthermore, as you've said, it's riddled with ads and possibly adware/spyware.

kealist
United States
Joined 6024 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 36 of 62
30 August 2008 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
amphises wrote:
I hate Xunlei. My system is already configured to use Japanese encoding for non-Unicode programs and Xunlei's Chinese interface is just messed up. Furthermore, as you've said, it's riddled with ads and possibly adware/spyware.

Good to know, I still haven't had a chance to try it. If you know of alternatives, please let me know.

Didn't make so much progress today.   I was going to study characters this morning, but I got distracted speaking to this random Japanese woman on skype for about an hour and a half.   I haven't used Japanese since April, but we spoke most of the time in it. AT first I was truly rusty, but it started coming back. I guess Assimil was really good for internalizing language over a period of time. I can almost still hear some of the tracks in my head.

I'm going to start actually trying to make stories for the fanti because I think it will help me retain them easier with less repetition and forgetfulness. maybe it was dumb to do it otherwise, but I have been experimenting.

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5774 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 37 of 62
30 August 2008 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone have an alternative download place for any or all of those links? I can't get any of them because of that "thunder" BS.

thanks for collecting all the links though, those will be of great help once i can find a working link for all the audio versions.

kealist
United States
Joined 6024 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 38 of 62
31 August 2008 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:
Does anyone have an alternative download place for any or all of those links? I can't get any of them because of that "thunder" BS.

thanks for collecting all the links though, those will be of great help once i can find a working link for all the audio versions.

Well, I installed the Xunlei program on my computer and aside from all the characters displaying as garbage (not really sure what kind of crap encoding system they use, but most chinese programs end up the same way), it works pretty easily for downloading. Don't know the extent of spyware it does, but I will see how it goes. In all honesty, it downloads faster this way than http.

If I can find my bilingual copy of 阿Q正传 (seem to have misplaced it in a move), I'm gonna start going through it.   It's a pretty funny story, and doesn't seem too long.

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5936 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 39 of 62
31 August 2008 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
kealist, assuming you're on Windows. Go to control panel-> Regional and language optionsand click on the "Administrative" Tab. There you can change the language for non-Unicode programs.

I set mine to Japanese so the characters are all jumbled in kana but I think since you're concentrating on Chinese at the moment, you should be all right with setting it to Chinese.

kealist
United States
Joined 6024 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 40 of 62
31 August 2008 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
I am in the process of rearranging and checking the links on the first page, so people can find audiobooks that match the Chinese transcripts. I would like to go through and figure out what each book is on the pingshu8 site and get a better database set up. I will keep working on it when I have time.

amphises wrote:
I set mine to Japanese so the characters are all jumbled in kana but I think since you're concentrating on Chinese at the moment, you should be all right with setting it to Chinese.

I've done this in the past and it has wreaked havoc on my mp3s ID3 tags. I wish people would just use unicode in the first place. I appreciate the suggestion, and I will probably just go ahead and switch it over.

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version