Maximus
United Kingdom
Joined 6551 days ago

417 posts - 427 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Thai

Message 73 of 79
11 June 2008 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
Mr. Bear,

I see that you have made a rant on the logic of my argument. I still stick by my views that certain people out there try to attribute all success to sexuality and felt it was neccessary to introduce these opinions as this thread was just inconsequential from day one.
    As for your idea of a Russian and Polyglot idea, that may have some use as maybe it could compare concrete features of languages from the perspect of using Russian as a base language. I saw a similar thread on the difficult of German for Russians and Anglophones. This thread covered differences in use of cases between Russian and German and whether the proximity of vocabulary similary for and Anglophone was more useful than the knowledge of cases for a native Russian speaker. That kind of thread would have utility wouldn't it as we are working with useful concrete facts about the characteristics of certain languages which may be helful knowledge for the language learner.
    In contrast, this idea of Gay and Polyglot is not really anything like that other idea is it? Like Cage said, it is all merely the fantasy and desire to desperately try to find some evidence for those unfounds claims. The idea of gay pride of course was indirectly brought up just be create a thread about homosexuals immediately isolating oneself into one group. And I don't always have to refer to the thread just so that people believe me when I say I am not trolling. I mainly spoke of people in my immediate environment, especially those who have actually said to me in words that homosexuals are superior. This thread certainly has a feeling of those self-alienated people doesn't it. Now why can I not bring my own experiences into the thread neither? What else did the author want if now others cannot bring in their own experiences and thoughts? What else did the author actually want to do with this inconsequential thread? Well, at least I got some use out of it. I had wanted to write a topic on my views making a distinction between homohatred and homophobia for quite some time. I wanted to draw attention to the difference, especially when I myself had faced the two concepts personally. By this I refer to the fact that I have actually befriended and gay male. Then I wanted to explore by writing the reason why our friendship had to stop. Because he couldn't control feelings for me, and started to act silly and erratic because I don't swing that way. This lead me to distinguish between the two feelings towards homosexuals and I wanted to include this on my views on the issue. I wanted to include certain thoughts on the issue because I understand that the ultra-liberal thought of some societies just allows people to justify and rediculous claims just be attaching labels to them like homophia for example. At least my response satisfied one person.

Back to the issue of before, "Well, whatever your beef with gay community is".

Again pulling out the homophobia card eh! Just because someone even criticizes an unfounded claim, they are labelled as homophobic. I have already made clear the distinction. For that I wrote my post on experiences regarding the issue. For someone who actually befriended an homosexual guy for almost a year, I cannot see the logic anymore of the homophobia remark. So here it is your logic which is flawed.
1 person has voted this message useful

Russianbear
Triglot
United States
Joined 6577 days ago

358 posts - 422 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, Ukrainian
Studies: Spanish

Message 74 of 79
11 June 2008 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
Maximus wrote:
Mr. Bear,
    In contrast, this idea of Gay and Polyglot is not really anything like that other idea is it? Like Cage said, it is all merely the fantasy and desire to desperately try to find some evidence for those unfounds claims. The idea of gay pride of course was indirectly brought up just be create a thread about homosexuals immediately isolating oneself into one group. And I don't always have to refer to the thread just so that people believe me when I say I am not trolling. I mainly spoke of people in my immediate environment, especially those who have actually said to me in words that homosexuals are superior. This thread certainly has a feeling of those self-alienated people doesn't it.

No, it doesn't. Besides, it is one thing to argue about whether there is an attempt by people to isolate themselves, and a totally different thing to imply they put forth a claim to their superiority compared to the outgroup.
Quote:

Now why can I not bring my own experiences into the thread neither? What else did the author want if now others cannot bring in their own experiences and thoughts? What else did the author actually want to do with this inconsequential thread?

Well, you certainly seem to think you are an expert on people's intentions even when people don't state them and when those intentions are not obvious at all. However, like I said before, if you see innocent posts as statements of gay supremacy, it tells one more about you than it does about the authors of those posts that you claim to interpret.
Quote:

Back to the issue of before, "Well, whatever your beef with gay community is".

Again pulling out the homophobia card eh! Just because someone even criticizes an unfounded claim, they are labelled as homophobic. I have already made clear the distinction. For that I wrote my post on experiences regarding the issue. For someone who actually befriended an homosexual guy for almost a year, I cannot see the logic anymore of the homophobia remark. So here it is your logic which is flawed.
Again, it is a logic fallacy right there - just because I stated you might have a beef with gay community isn't equivalent to callin you a homophobe.

So, I wasn't the one who pulled out the homophobia card. Didn't YOU write this?
Quote:

This shows that there is a distinction between "homohatred" (which is just hatred against homosexuals just for being homosexuals, normally an excuse for the typical thug like people of society to pick on others just like they find other excuses with others) and "homophobia" (fear of homosexuality, not necessarily hatred, even rational fear depending on the circumstances). I am not the first category because I have formed friendships with them as explained already (when the individual was behaving normally), but from time to time, depending on situational factors, I haqve momentarily felt the feeling of the second category, (when they start exaggerating their behaviour and push it all in your face).

You yourself admit to being a homophobe, albeit "momentarily". And then you pretend to be offended because people have supposedly pushed "it all in your face" in this very thread - precisely the factors that occasionally do make you feel homophobic. So one might conclude that you are being homophobic, based on your own statements - and I would argue that would misread your posts much less than you misread the original post of this thread, for example.

Anyways, the major question seems to be: what is this "unfounded claim" that you "criticize" and who made this claim? Exact quotes, please.

Edited by Russianbear on 11 June 2008 at 10:37am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Maximus
United Kingdom
Joined 6551 days ago

417 posts - 427 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Thai

Message 75 of 79
11 June 2008 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Let's get one thing staight on homophobia. I have admitted already that I have experienced "momentary" startlement when interacting with those individuals who seems to stray from normal gender roles, those who act really really girly. The reason being is that not many people can relate to such concept as homosexuality, even less so for transsexuality. This is alien to many people. So when guys start to behave in those abormally effeminate ways, I believe that rational fear can be a result. Not so much strong fear, but a sense of awkwardness. Some silly liberal people whine on about the idea that gender cannot be divided into a binary classification, but think again, that is nature and a key feature of humanity. If people start to act like the other gender, it can startle people as it comes accross as unnatural. So owed to that abnormality , it is rational to admit that a slight fear is normal. From this I made my distinction between phobia and hatred. Now you dispute my sense of the phrase homophobia card. I was using that phrase mockingly in the sense that most homos cannot make a distinction anyway. Homophobia has lost its meaning of fear and just came to be an insult for anyone who seems to disaggree with an homosexual. Now, you mentioned a beef with homosexuals. So that means that you believe that I hold strong views against them. Yet I have already made the distinction that I don't hate homosexuals.

Also you don't think this thread is totally silly and isolationist? Answer this, what would you make of a thread called "Heterosexual and a polyglot"? How would that sound? Absolutely stupid and would sound supremacist. Well exactly the same it sounds the other way round!

As for my sharing of my experiences, which I really wanted to write just to see if anyone else could relate to my opinion, at least one person has positively received it and explained that he thinks that my opinion at least has some value. That is enough for me.

Cage
Diglot
aka a.ardaschira, Athena, Michael Thomas
United States
Joined 6426 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 76 of 79
11 June 2008 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
Maximus I am sure there are many more than us who have a common sense viewe of this issue. They just fear being heard for fear of being the focus of homo wrath.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6352 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 77 of 79
11 June 2008 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
I'm left-handed, hetero. I have a lust for languages, but have to work harder at them than the average person. But my lust always pulls me through, and with time I often surpass my fellow language learners, who may lose interest and drop out. I like gays, and hope none have been offended too much in this thread. I also think this is an interesting subject. If something in a person's mind makes them special, then is it possible that same thing makes them better at languages?

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5836 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 78 of 79
11 June 2008 at 2:03pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
I'm left-handed, hetero. I have a lust for languages, but have to work harder at them than the average person.

This is somewhat similar to my experience. I think left/right handedness is a much more prominent factor than hetero/homosexuality.

Edited by Sennin on 11 June 2008 at 2:04pm

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6817 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 79 of 79
11 June 2008 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
I think we've outlived the usefulness of this thread. Discussion closed.

This discussion contains 79 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version