Switzerland
Joined 6251 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 82 of 130
10 October 2008 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
Lucia Ibanez wrote:
This might be a little necromany but i wonder whats happend to this project?

It was too ambitious and never really got off the ground. More people got introduced to the difficulties of making a good language course: choosing topics, deciding what grammar to include, coming up with reasonable dialogs, etc. Then, there were the lessons that apply for trying to make 'universal' language courses: avoiding over-idiomatic phrases that don't translate, avoiding regional-specific information which doesn't translate (such as units of measurement), dealing with huge differences in grammar, etc. There were also other tricky bits: teaching pronunciation, making natural-sounding sentences (the proposed dialogs weren't natural even in English, much less in translation), etc.

In other words: it became clear, once again, why it takes Assimil 3 years to translate an existing course, and why new language courses (even lousy ones) usually take years to develop.

1 person has voted this message useful

Lucia Ibanez
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5711 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 83 of 130
10 October 2008 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
In German we would Say "Wir haben es tot diskutiert" or in English "We discussed it to death" ^^

peppelanguage
Triglot
Groupie
ItalyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5676 days ago

90 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, English
Studies: French, Swedish

Message 84 of 130
04 November 2008 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
Hey!
I'm new here...this is my very first post... I just read the first post and then the last page....could somebody resume the situation?Is it (like I think...)all finished??No "home made" Assimil??

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5921 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 85 of 130
05 November 2008 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
peppelanguage wrote:
I'm new here...this is my very first post... I just read the first post and then the last page....could somebody resume the situation?Is it (like I think...)all finished??No "home made" Assimil??

I guess so, until someone resumes it.

In the meanwhile, search for the unofficial MT Norwegian that a forumist produced, with enthusiastic reviews.

peppelanguage
Triglot
Groupie
ItalyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5676 days ago

90 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, English
Studies: French, Swedish

Message 86 of 130
05 November 2008 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
well...I'm not that interested in norwegian... but I'll take a look :D If anybody is interested in an exchange "italian for swedish" just contact me...I'm here for this :D

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6282 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 87 of 130
06 November 2008 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
May I usurp the project?

I believe I can write dialogs that should translate well while not being too weird or too difficult, and I now have the experience of developing several language courses for GermanPod101 as well as Myngle. However, I believe that in addition to dialogs, translations and recordings, we also need at least some short Assimil-style notes in the lessons, to give hints about grammar points or pronunciation issues.

There will be some issues that just can't be avoided when writing one course to suit them all (e. g. that in some languages it's more common to start with the past tense rather than present), but overall I believe I could do a good job if you are ready to stop discussing and start doing ;-)

Who is now ready to translate the dialogs to his language and provide a few notes as appropriate? If I get more than 5 languages, I'll start posting dialogs. Recordings are not an immediate issue, as any native speaker could do them.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6721 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 88 of 130
06 November 2008 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
I can translate into Swedish and write notes if nobody else desperately wants to.

This discussion contains 130 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version