Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
130 messages over 17 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 ... 16 17 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6282 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 97 of 130
07 November 2008 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
I know, Dragonfly, that's why I'm going to propose other dialogs, dialogs that will hopefully not require too much grammar in any language. So we have 5 languages now :-) Let's keep this thread for discussion of the project and I will create another thread for dialogs and translations with notes.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 07 November 2008 at 3:15pm

1 person has voted this message useful

farrioth
New Zealand
Joined 5902 days ago

171 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Esperanto, Sanskrit, Japanese

Message 98 of 130
07 November 2008 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
I can write / check English dialogues, if someone can give me some pointers on what grammar points and vocabulary to introduce.

peppelanguage
Triglot
Groupie
ItalyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5676 days ago

90 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, English
Studies: French, Swedish

Message 99 of 130
07 November 2008 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Hey...how are we going to name it?? "How To Learn (name of the language) The Easy Way???" could it be a nice name?

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5846 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 100 of 130
07 November 2008 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
I'm tempted to contribute with a Bulgarian version of the dialogues, but I'm not sure I'll have the time to record speech.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6282 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 101 of 130
08 November 2008 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
Sennin wrote:
I'm tempted to contribute with a Bulgarian version of the dialogues, but I'm not sure I'll have the time to record speech.

That's fine. We can always find another Bulgarian speaker later; even a monolingual one will do for the recordings.

Fat-tony
Nonaglot
United Kingdom
jiahubooks.co.uk
Joined 5952 days ago

288 posts - 441 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian, Esperanto, Thai, Laotian, Urdu, Swedish, French
Studies: Mandarin, Indonesian, Arabic (Written), Armenian, Pali, Burmese

Message 102 of 130
08 November 2008 at 7:26am | IP Logged 
The scope and themes of the proposed dialogues are very similar to the first portion of the generic course we use
at the British Armed Forces language school. As a result I could probably provide Urdu, Farsi/Dari and Pashtu
versions. (In addition maybe Turkish, Swahili - possibly Punjabi and Sindhi after Christmas) My proposal would be
to post the transliterated versions of the dialogues and have a link to the "script" version and recording. I don't
have enough free time at the moment but I have some down time after the 19th Nov, if there is enough demand for
these languages.
I can also have a go a Thai and Lao with the help of my wife, again from the 19th Nov.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5823 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 103 of 130
08 November 2008 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
I think the other thread has jumped the gun quite considerably.

People have been diving straight in with translations before we've even edited the source version. I'd be far more comfortable getting a three or four lessons agreed in English and keeping the translations a few steps behind. Otherwise, if we decide to change anything, the dialogues might get out of step.

(This appears to have happened with Assimil's own courses -- there are some random mismatches in lines between text and tape or text and translation.)

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6258 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 104 of 130
08 November 2008 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
Agreed, Cainntear; while it's a commendable project, I think it may be moving along a bit too fast. I also think the different translations should be split off into separate threads, otherwise it's going to grow extremely difficult to 1) find anything and 2) discuss the translations.

This discussion contains 130 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version