Switzerland
Joined 6251 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 113 of 130
10 November 2008 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
Russianbear wrote:

-I think it is important to plan it and have a decent script first. Perhaps if there was a script first, a script that everyone (or at least the great majority) would be happy with, it could help avoid a lot of potential difficulties later in the project. Like I wrote before, just because the real Assimil has little to no grammar exaplanations and follows a sort of "natural" approach doesn't mean all aspects of it

On one hand, I see your point. On the other hand, that's been tried at least twice by this forum, and died very quickly.

As for how planned the Assimil courses seem - it varies significantly from course to course.

Russianbear wrote:

-including the grammar- weren't carefully planned out beforehand. I hate to be skeptical about this, as I like the idea of the project. But I think it may be a little unrealistic to putt less planning and thought into the project than the Assimil creators likely put into their program(s) and expect a result that is similar or even better than theirs.

You're probably right (and only probably; voluntary collaboration can be quite powerful). On the other hand, I don't think Assimil could easily afford to make the type of effort this project is making: it takes them 3 years to make a course (for the French base, not counting translations to other bases), and there are a fairly limited number of polyglots as accomplished as Sprachprofi for them to hire.

People are pointing out problems even at this point - and some can be fixed. This much peer review and feedback so early on is very rare in less open projects, to the best of my knowledge.

Russianbear wrote:

-it may be good to have some sort of explanation in the "original" version, like whether it is a formal greeting or not, etc. I know Volte mentioned East Asian languages have a different system for formal/informal address than IE languages, but even with IE languages it may get confusing if we don't specify it. For example, it seems the Russian translation of Dialogue 2 uses a formal way of addressing someone, while Italian translation uses the informal "tu" version. (I don't actually speak Italian, but I assume it is the same as Spanish in that respect).

The Italian one is actually fairly complicated: the speaker uses the informal form, assuming he's talking to someone he knows, and then, on finding out he was mistaken, switches to a formal apology.

Formality doesn't map cleanly across even closely related languages, unfortunately.

1 person has voted this message useful

J-Learner
Australia
Joined 5842 days ago

556 posts - 636 votes 
Studies: Yiddish, English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 114 of 130
10 November 2008 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
I think perhaps that a space needs to be devoted towards it and not all the problems talked about in one space.

Divide and conquer has merit here.

Reminds me of a house I once lived in. Out the back in the laundry we used to sit and there listening to music while smoking. There was a shower, toilet and everything back there.

We all used to comment on how many things you could do in there and tried to make names for the room and verbs for the combined actions.

It got a bit messy though hilarious! :D

Shalom,
Yehoshua.

Edited by J-Learner on 10 November 2008 at 11:22am

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5921 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 115 of 130
10 November 2008 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Russianbear wrote:

-it may be good to have some sort of explanation in the "original" version, like whether it is a formal greeting or not, etc. I know Volte mentioned East Asian languages have a different system for formal/informal address than IE languages, but even with IE languages it may get confusing if we don't specify it. For example, it seems the Russian translation of Dialogue 2 uses a formal way of addressing someone, while Italian translation uses the informal "tu" version. (I don't actually speak Italian, but I assume it is the same as Spanish in that respect).

The Italian one is actually fairly complicated: the speaker uses the informal form, assuming he's talking to someone he knows, and then, on finding out he was mistaken, switches to a formal apology.

On the other hand the situation depicted in dialog 2 is somewhat ambiguous. Usually the first dialogs in a textbook make it clear whether it is a formal or informal setting.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5823 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 116 of 130
10 November 2008 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
Leopejo wrote:
On the other hand the situation depicted in dialog 2 is somewhat ambiguous. Usually the first dialogs in a textbook make it clear whether it is a formal or informal setting.

Quite. And I'll repeat what I said in the other thread.

"She???" is said as Tom echoing Man 2's exact word.
However, this is not very clear and the learner may well assume it to be a demonstrative, which in English is normal the objective form ("her", in this case) when it's not being used in a proper sentence.

If you look at the Bulgarian translation, this has been replaced with "O!".

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5823 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 117 of 130
10 November 2008 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Russianbear wrote:

-I think it is important to plan it and have a decent script first. Perhaps if there was a script first, a script that everyone (or at least the great majority) would be happy with, it could help avoid a lot of potential difficulties later in the project. Like I wrote before, just because the real Assimil has little to no grammar exaplanations and follows a sort of "natural" approach doesn't mean all aspects of it

On one hand, I see your point. On the other hand, that's been tried at least twice by this forum, and died very quickly.

Design by committee doesn't work, agreed.

However, if this project has a single designated designer in Sprachprofi, then the rest of us are merely "checking correctness" rather than designing the course.

It is then up to Sprach to decide whether or not to implement our recommendations. Anyone who's unhappy with that doesn't have to be involved in the project.

Sprachprofi can then release a "definitive" English version for translation, and anyone who's still happy can translate it.

Of course, if Sprachprofi isn't willing to accept the word of all the native speakers that "I'm well" is incorrect English, then the project won't go very far.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6251 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 118 of 130
10 November 2008 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Of course, if Sprachprofi isn't willing to accept the word of all the native speakers that "I'm well" is incorrect English, then the project won't go very far.

I'll take the blame for that one; I defended "I'm well", and I'm a native speaker. The simple fact of the matter is that conventional responses to "How are you?" vary in English; I'd hesitate to call any of them incorrect, and "I'm well" doesn't seem all that utterly rare to me.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6282 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 119 of 130
10 November 2008 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
However, if this project has a single designated designer in Sprachprofi, then the rest of us are merely "checking correctness" rather than designing the course.

You can do more than just checking correctness, you could also translate (if you have an excellent grasp of a language other than English), provide notes (here it actually helps to be a non-native) or provide literal translations. And I'm open to any dialog suggestions if somebody believes he can write a dialog that does not throw in advanced grammar or idioms too early. To spot this kind of thing and avoid it is a talent rare even among language teachers.

As for the "I'm well" issue: my first instinct was to use "I'm fine", but since this is about learning other languages, I don't want people to think we're teaching the word "fine". I have yet to see a second language that uses the word "fine" in this context. I'm also afraid of people translating "fine" literally despite my requests for natural-sounding translations. I did not go with "I'm good" because somebody on this thread said that "I'm good" offends her ears, or something to that effect. It doesn't sound good to me either. However, I'm in favor of replacing "I'm well" with "I'm fine" once translations of lesson 1 are completed or once we're looking at turning this material into a course to learn English on the basis of many languages.

I believe that if the material is good enough to learn several other languages based on English, we've already achieved more than Assimil, because they only do one language at a time and they take a long time to develop, too. And that was the basic idea proposed towards the beginning of this thread after all: to provide Assimil-style materials for people who don't want to learn French and/or for languages that Assimil doesn't cover. If afterwards it's possible to turn it around and make it an English course for many, that's awesome. If it's possible to make it a course for any language to learn any language, that would be even more awesome, but I frankly don't think it's possible to create materials that neutral, and there's still the issue of having to re-translate everything, so most likely we still wouldn't wind up with Arabic-based courses or the like.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 10 November 2008 at 3:02pm

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5846 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 120 of 130
10 November 2008 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
If you look at the Bulgarian translation, this has been replaced with "O!".

It is replaced with "O" because it used to be "Oh"...

I suggest that we add some sort of version tags to the dialogs that are increased with every change. This way it will be clear if the translations are up to date with the last edition of the dialog.

( Nonetheless, major changes are not translated without effort and so they should probably be avoided. )

Edited by Sennin on 10 November 2008 at 3:26pm

This discussion contains 130 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version