United States
Joined 5961 days ago

229 posts - 239 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 194 of 206
17 November 2009 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
Italian,
I got back into podcasts! AND HOW! Yesterday I listened to over an hour's worth, plus I did maybe 20-30 minutes worth of reading. Great stuff. Radio 3 podcasts are my new favorites; I especially like the science and "faccia a faccia" shows.

German,

Started the final block of Pimsleur lessons...

Pimsleur 1: 27 mins

Total: 2165 minutes

I also listened to the German slow news yesterday, and I have today's edition loaded up on my mp3 player so that I can listen to it later today...
1 person has voted this message useful

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6234 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 195 of 206
17 November 2009 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
Kudos on your achievements so far! I hope you finish off Pimsleur and move onto something else iwth German.

Perhaps it's time you start doing some crazy things with German, like music, movies, books, poetry, etc. :) There are plenty of materials out there..

neonqwerty
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5961 days ago

229 posts - 239 votes 

Message 196 of 206
18 November 2009 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the encouragement, Jiwon! :)

You're right to gently imply that I should become less conservative in how I am going about it with German. Honestly, the main reason right now is laziness and perceived lack of time... podcasts are great because I don't need to dedicate extra time to them. While I used to listen to violent gangsta rap on the way to the bus stop, now I'm learning to introduce myself in German at cocktail parties...

Having said that, Thanksgiving break is soon upon us, so I'll try to get a subtitled German movie to check out! I know it's cliché, but I never did see all of Downfall...

---
Italian,
I added 19 new words in my original anki list! I'll add a lot more over the next week or so. :-) I'm also listening to a ton of podcasts and reading a lot out of my magazine. I *really* want to essentially be done with Italian by next fall so that I can take up Spanish in earnest.

German,
Doing my ankis; I'm going to add more words to my file over the coming week. Now that the end of Pimlseur is in sight, I'm getting more enthusiastic about it!

Pimlseur 1 (again): 27 minutes
Pimlseur 2: 29.5 minutes

Pimlseur 2 was, for some reason, much much easier than the preceding units... Good for me, it means I won't redo it.

Total time: 2221.5

neonqwerty
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5961 days ago

229 posts - 239 votes 

Message 197 of 206
20 November 2009 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Italian,
Doing a lot of Vanity Fair reading! No podcasts since last time, but I'll probably watch a movie this weekend...

German,
Like a champ, yesterday I accidentally copied unit 3 of section II (instead of section III) into my mp3 player, so I ended up just doing it and thus reviewing a unit I did a lonnnnng time ago. This morning I did the correct unit. I also got a copy of Downfall with subtitles! I'm looking forward to watching it tonight or tomorrow!

Pimsleur 3: 28.5

Total time: 2250 minutes <---- I love these nice, round numbers!

neonqwerty
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5961 days ago

229 posts - 239 votes 

Message 198 of 206
21 November 2009 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
Italian,
More reading, more ankis... Speaking of which, I added 25 new words to my original and ever-expanding (getting close to 1000 words!) list.

German,
I re-did Pimsleur 3 and id Pimlseur 4. I'm not sure if I'll redo Pimsleur 4; I doubt it. Hopefully tonight I'll watch Downfall. Can't wait!

Pimlseur 3: 28.5 minutes
Pimlseur 4: 28 minutes

Total time: 2306.5 minutes

neonqwerty
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5961 days ago

229 posts - 239 votes 

Message 199 of 206
22 November 2009 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
Italian,

Since yesterday I just did ankis... The new words aren't exactly problematic, but it's tough to get into "new word learning mode" when I've just been reviewing for so long. The trick is that when I was first really learning the words in earnest, I'd use mnemonics to really get them to stick. Since all the words were new, I'd automatically use a mnemonic technique for each entry. Review isn't exactly the same thing. If I get something wrong in review, I just need to see the correct answer in order to likely get it right the next time.

I noticed this problem when I started doing German ankis. Passive review works well for already-learned words, but I need to remind myself to use a mnemonic technique when I'm trying to actually learn the word. It doesn't take much time (literally 1-2 seconds per word), but I need to do it self-consciously and not forget!

I forgot to mention in earlier blog posts that I've re-started slowly making my way through the grammar book that I mentioned a little while ago... I'm done with chapter 4. It's really confirming my belief that I've plateaued in a sense with my Italian. What I do now reinforces and perfects what I'm already good at, but I'll need specific exercises in order to get much better at the things that I currently am *not* good at.

German,
I watched The Downfall yesterday! :)

It was a very, very good movie. There is a lot of debate about whether or not the movie humanizes Hitler and whether or not that's a bad thing. Frankly, I didn't think it humanized him in any positive sense. The few moments of kindness just put in stark relief his many moments of bitterness, inhumanity, and pathetic episodes. Besides, pretty much all of the "nice" behavior is stripped of all normalcy by the absurdity of its context. Yes, he's nice to his secretary right before explicitly saying that he doesn't care about the pointless deaths of the weak German conscripts. In any event, I understand the concern, but I don't think it's valid here.

Plus, of course, Pimlseur

Pimlseur 5: 24.5 minutes

Total time: 2331 minutes

neonqwerty
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5961 days ago

229 posts - 239 votes 

Message 200 of 206
23 November 2009 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
Super quick:

German:
Pimsleur 5: 24.5 minutes

Total time: 2355.5 minutes

This discussion contains 206 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version