2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 65 of 97
28 February 2010 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Pyx wrote:
tacoface wrote:
I have been acquiring mandarin chinese by only watching
taiwanese tv shows. No subtitles,
just listening and watching. After 450 hours I am quite pleased at the progress I have
made. I am estimating my understanding of the words is around 20%. Sometimes I watch 4-
hours straight, sometimes I can miss weeks at a time due to being busy, but I never
forget a word I acquire, and all that happens is I continue acquiring new words when I
resume watching the shows.

What I would like to understand is why people on here voice such strident opinions on
this method when they have no idea how it works, and clearly have no intention of
trying
to understand how it works.

acquired as in "I can speak it now", acquired as in "I understand it now", acquired as
in "I have sort of an idea what's going on", or how 'acquired'?
450 hours seems awfully short to me.
Acquired as in I understand it
effortlessly in mandarin, with no translation through my native tongue. This method
seems to associate the sounds heard with a certain feeling that is put together by the
brain after numerous instance of hearing the word. The end result, it appears to me, is
native like fluency.

I cannot define "to", however I know, or more correctly I can feel when it is right to
use it in a sentence when I speak English. The same applies to the words I have
acquired so far by watching taiwanese tv shows.

I will only begin to speak when I feel comfortable enough too (my estimate is 2000
hours). By then I should have acquired majority of the words and how they are used,
which will make speaking a breeze.
1 person has voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6061 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 67 of 97
28 February 2010 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
"I am estimating my understanding of the words is around 20%."

That presumably means you don't understand about 80%. A comprehension level rather like listening to a radio broadcast in your own language with very bad reception. People do not generally do that for hundreds of hours.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5800 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 68 of 97
28 February 2010 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
KTHN wrote:
I have to disagree. I learned English through television, music etc. Yes, I took English
classes in school, it was compulsory so everybody did.

Then you cannot discount the possibility that the classes were vital to you learning.

All you can say is that the classes alone were not enough, and everyone here agrees that you need more that classes.

But would you have noticed the difference between tenses without some kind of explanation?

KTHN
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5522 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 69 of 97
28 February 2010 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
KTHN wrote:
I have to disagree. I learned English through
television, music etc. Yes, I took English
classes in school, it was compulsory so everybody did.

Then you cannot discount the possibility that the classes were vital to you learning.

All you can say is that the classes alone were not enough, and everyone here agrees
that you need more that classes.

But would you have noticed the difference between tenses without some kind of
explanation?

Actually, yes I did. When I was little I tried to talk in English a lot. I did use different
tenses, but in school I could not understand any tenses at all. Untill I was 15 or 16 I did
not know that there were any other tenses than the present and past, but I did use
them.

The only thing I learned in English class is how to write letters. Which is not a skill I use
often at all.

But I don't think we can agree on this in the end.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6698 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 70 of 97
01 March 2010 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
As much as I know that there are bad teachers (and educational systems, and students/learners), I find it a bit difficult to grasp when somebody says "I didn't learn ANYTHING during my English/French/Spanish/X classes". Not that KTHN said that.

KTHN
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5522 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 71 of 97
01 March 2010 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
As much as I know that there are bad teachers (and educational
systems, and students/learners), I find it a bit difficult to grasp when somebody says "I
didn't learn ANYTHING during my English/French/Spanish/X classes". Not that KTHN said
that.

I think that you have to learn how to write somewhere. Well, not exactly how to write, but
more how to spell out sounds. If you know how to read a text (i.e. how to make these
letters into the correct sound) I believe that you can learn everything else from
tv/music/books etc.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5242 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 72 of 97
01 March 2010 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
tacoface wrote:
I have been acquiring mandarin chinese by only watching taiwanese tv shows. No subtitles, just listening and watching. After 450 hours I am quite pleased at the progress I have made. I am estimating my understanding of the words is around 20%. Sometimes I watch 4-5 hours straight, sometimes I can miss weeks at a time due to being busy, but I never forget a word I acquire, and all that happens is I continue acquiring new words when I resume watching the shows.

Do you enjoy watching so much TV and not understanding very much?

This discussion contains 97 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version