Bilingual Triglot
Australia
Joined 5831 days ago

396 posts - 542 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech*, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 1 of 34
18 October 2008 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 

I would like to know what languages you are currently studying and compare these to languages you would love to learn if this was a perfect world. Please include a statement about why you are not learning your dream language.

I am learning German at the moment but would love to learn Greek. The reason I keep putting Greek off is that it doesn't have a lot of native speakers so it isn't as useful as German.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5823 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 2 of 34
19 October 2008 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
I am currently perfecting my English and also actively studying French.

I would love to start Swedish, Japanese and Chinese :).

Swedish because I love the north of Europe and that's where I want to work.
Japanese because I like traditional japanese culture and all that samurai stuff.
Chinese because of the beautiful characters and the availability of natives to practice on.

I also have some ill defined desire to continue my Russian studies, mainly because I hate to leave a task half the way through.

Edited by Sennin on 19 October 2008 at 7:03am

Olympia
Triglot
United States
Joined 5770 days ago

195 posts - 244 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Old English, French

Message 3 of 34
19 October 2008 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
I'm continuing to study Spanish (mainly the literature and culture as I've completed the grammar part) because I
want to study in South America, but I really want to pick up Portuguese again because I'd love to travel to Brazil. I
love the cultures of Central and South America. Also, for the first time ever I've actually been wanting to learn
French because it's my roommate's first language. I'm exposed to it a lot because I spend a lot of time with her
and her French-speaking friends, and I'm picking it up a little bit. I'd also like to try a non-romance language like
possibly German just to see the the grammar of a different family of languages. I really haven't had the desire to
learn an East-Asian language yet, but maybe one day.

P.S. I know Greek doesn't have a large number of native speakers, and I'm not sure about in Australia, but at least
in the U.S. there are Greek neighborhoods in most major cities and plenty of Greek restaurants that are filled with
native Greek speakers. The same isn't so true for German.

sajro
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5785 days ago

129 posts - 131 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 34
19 October 2008 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Oh I've such a large list of what I want to learn, but...

I currently speak English (natively) and enough Spanish. My Spanish could use work but it is not my top priority.

I'm studying Russian for so many reasons...I originally got into it to communicate with a friend but I love the culture even though my Russian is abysmal.

I am poking at Swedish and loving it. It feels like a taste of my own medicine for speaking a language with confusing pronunciation. I also love the helpfulness of my Swedish friends.

Of the ones I want to learn, I'll choose a few. There is a blanket statement as to why I'm not studying these: time and avoiding overload. These languages are French, German, Icelandic, Polish, and Catalan...but that's only a few.

Felixelus
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6627 days ago

237 posts - 244 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 34
20 October 2008 at 4:42am | IP Logged 
I'm currently learning German because it's a beautiful country full of wonderful characters and I'd really love to live there one day. Plus it's a very different language to other languages I've dipped my toe into and I feel I'm broadening my horizons!

In an ideal world I'd love to also study:
- Japanese. I've been fascinated by this wonderful language and culture since I was very young. It would have practical use as well since Japanese science is cutting edge.

- Spanish. Almost all of the telescopes I will be using in my career are in Spanish speaking countries, so this is a practical thing more than a cultural thing.

- French and Italian. Because like Sennin, I don't like leaving things unfinished!

Unfortunately time restricts me to one language at a time.

Edited by Felixelus on 20 October 2008 at 4:45am

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6467 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 6 of 34
20 October 2008 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
I am currently learning Russian and getting some French university points (but I wouldn't really say that I study French just because of that).

I really want to start my Hungarian studies soon, but I want to get better at Russian first. I did start Icelandic, seeing is at the easy extra language, but I lost all motivation during the summer and now that language feels a bit dead to me.

Ideally: add Sinhala... and perhaps Polish?

Well, I guess I'm not your typical language enthusiast since I actually have a hard time thinking of languages I want to learn. I'm waiting to discover them one by one. Well okay, add Farsi or Arabic (try two).

Edited by tricoteuse on 20 October 2008 at 10:43am

NuclearGorilla
Diglot
United States
Joined 6575 days ago

166 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 7 of 34
20 October 2008 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
I'm learning French at the moment, although it seems to be stagnating a bit due to lack of time, as well as perhaps a bit of a lack of motivation.

But, without going into my (much) longer list of languages I'd like to learn, I'd definitely like to learn Swedish. I chose French instead, though, since it seemed like a good language as far as opening up various resources, something that Swedish is less adept at (not to say the resources in Swedish are of lesser quality, but merely quantity). It's pretty swell, but it of course cannot sound as lovely as Swedish.
(I chose Swedish as my example since it's probably always going to get pushed aside for some other language.)

And then maybe I'll go back to learning Hindi soon... probably to the exclusion of French. If only I had unlimited time, or more importantly, some sort of discipline/reasonable work ethic/motivation for learning these. The latter being more important since it, rather than time, is likely the bigger problem, and the more conquerable.

xandreax
Diglot
Canada
Joined 5689 days ago

142 posts - 160 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 8 of 34
22 October 2008 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
English is my native language and I am at at least an intermediate level of Spanish because that is the native language of my boyfriend who I have been with for over two years. (And for about that time I have been studying Spanish). I was never interested before in languages but because I met him and I am in this situation, I've realized that I love learning languages and being able to understand more people and talk to more people, as well as read more literature.

I am studying Portuguese as well, which I actually just started a few weeks ago when I thought I was ready to start learning another language and would not get mixed up too much with Spanish. Some people still would, but I am finding that so far when I speak I accidentally say a Spanish word fairly rarely.

My "dream languages" include French, which I will start possibly within a year. (I have done 5 years of French in school, but it was in elementary school and middle school)It may not be too hard to get into. Right now I do not have the time to learn it, especially because I am actively studying 2 languages, and taking non-language related courses in University.

Others are: German (to study a non-romance language and because it seems interesting to me), Russian (I would learn Ukrainian because my family on my mother's side speak it but Russian is more widely spoken and it would be interesting to learn), Italian (because I really like romance languages!), Chinese, because it is the most spoken language and it's completely different than my own native language. Japanese. There are more that would be awesome to learn, but these are probably the ones I am most interested in.

And like with French, I just do not have time right now to be studying any other languages than the 2 I am studying now.

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version