Diglot
Norway
Joined 5722 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 137 of 151
10 December 2009 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
Definitely not the norm, no. I think in general the best we can hope for is that people speak understandably. Some people are very difficult to understand though, even some who have been speaking the language for years - a real shame, because it probably wouldn't be that hard for them to clean up their speech just enough to make themselves less painful to listen to.

Not everyone aims for a native accent but I think it's a worthwhile goal personally :-) Don't get me wrong, I have no illusions about ever being mistaken for a native speaker in person (serious colour palette issues) but I do want to speak the languages I bother to learn, as properly as I can learn to speak them. And it looks to me like that means getting a native accent too, so it's a natural goal for me.
1 person has voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5334 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 138 of 151
10 December 2009 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
Gusutafu, have you ever met someone who didn't grow up in Sweden/Finland but could speak Swedish like a native? I haven't.

Have met Germans and Poles who speak first-rate Swedish and are 100% happily integrated. But the accent is there.

Also with Danes, Norwegians and Finns you can always hear it.

I have one friend from Bosnia, she came here in her early teens and speaks absolutely flawlessly, with a much greater vocabulary than most Swedes (she studies literature). She does sound a tiny bit foreign though, not so much in her prosody as in a certain tenseness, but that may also be due to her character, she is sort of uptight, although less so recently. That's my only example, except a Norwegian girl (nynorsk) that could pass as being from Wermland after 6 months here, but that doesn't really count.

Be careful Cordelia, your next post will be your thousandth!

When will you and Lizzern post your accents? I can't wait to hear them in all their native glory!

JW: I see what you mean, perhaps it's a problem that you wouldn't pass my test either. I'll have to think about it, possibly it IS fair to judge foreigners by another standard, your English is a bonafide mix but theirs shouldn't be, then it'd be too easy to always "come from some other place".

As to the possibility of becoming totally native, I don't believe in it. I think that you can fool some of the people etc. Or rather, it's just a matter of how long you can fool someone. If it turns out that you were born in the 70's but don't know Sesame street, or that you don't know the word wuss, the game is up. So this, as everything else, is really a question of degrees.

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5935 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 139 of 151
10 December 2009 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:
When will you and Lizzern post your accents? I can't wait to hear them in all their native glory!

Ditto for me!

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5722 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 140 of 151
10 December 2009 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
If the internet wasn't such a crazy, crazy place - I might post something. But can't really trust it. Appreciate the sarcasm though.

A native speaker can speak a mix of dialects and still be a native speaker. Very common in Norwegian, people take on traits from dialects from other areas that they've had extensive exposure to. If a non-native speaker mixes dialects in the same way, I think it would mostly be looked upon as a mistake.

And yeah, non-natives ARE judged by a different standard, partly based on cultural knowledge. But not all native speakers will know everything either. Pockets of native speakers will have their own little world of things only they know about. Not everyone watches the same things on TV. Some things are universal, sure, but other things will confuse a native speaker just as much as a non-native speaker - it's all a matter of exposure.

And I do think that some people make a point of putting non-native speakers down if they find some small area of inferiority, as if that detracts from their achievement at all. Obviously cultural knowledge is important to be able to take part in what's going on around you, but it can be used against you as well.
3 persons have voted this message useful

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5935 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 141 of 151
10 December 2009 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
It just popped into my head that Fasulye speaks Dutch with a native accent and I think she learned it as an adult. Perhaps she would like to take the video challenge? I know she has a video of herself speaking Dutch...

Lizzern wrote:
If a non-native speaker mixes dialects in the same way, I think it would mostly be looked upon as a mistake.

Good point. I heard an American say that when she was in Spain and used Ustedes she was corrected and told to use Vosotros--obviously that would not have happened to a Latin American native speaker.

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4835 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 142 of 151
09 July 2011 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
I have just read through this entire thread, and feel it raises some important topics.
I think the issue of learning a language to access and learn about new cultures has not been sufficently explored.
maya_star17 wrote:
[QUOTE=SlickAs]I understand learning Sanskrit to read the Hindu religious texts in their original, as well as the commentaries, etc if you are a Hindu holy-man. I understand doing it just for bragging rights. But you don't need to learn Sanskrit to delve into Indian culture. Realistically, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from reading them in translation.
Isn't something always lost in translation, though? Just a thought.

Is it true that in languages such as Mandarin, there are concepts for which there is no adequate translation even possible in English?

This is what would atract me towards learning an Asian language. At the moment, my perception of the world is filtered through the English Language. I would like to learn a language which would expand my mind by enabling me to percieve the world in new and fundamentally different ways.

I think this would expand my horizons in ways which go way beyond simply being able to accsess lIiterature in the original.

I suppose even in Spanish one can think about the world in different ways , as reflected in their use of two different verbs for "to be".

I have many thoughts which my native language simply doesnt allow me to express. I have a feeling that Asian languages would possibly bring my closer to these thoughts than would another European language.

And what about being able to access different political views? I feel that English is a culturally dominant language which reflects the world view of the powerful in society, and its media will often reflect this. I have heard that French media , for example, often seeks to challenge this hegemony. Is this true?

Edited by dbag on 09 July 2011 at 1:10am

vientito
Canada
Joined 6151 days ago

212 posts - 281 votes 

Message 143 of 151
09 July 2011 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
It takes immense courage and patience to learn and perfect a language skill. How could
that be considered as an act of a "wuss"?

Live, and let live.
3 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4835 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 144 of 151
09 July 2011 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
It takes patience to learn a language, thats undeniable. But whats so couragous about it?

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version