Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6704 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 17 of 151
16 December 2008 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
I don't think people are wusses for choosing to study European languages. I've studied two East Asian languages but I don't consider myself any better or more adventurous than someone who has mastered several European languages. We all study different languages based on our interests and needs. I don't think I can tell my Dutch colleagues and friends that I don't want to learn their language just because I've already studied other European languages... ;)

Maya_star, you mention Hindi and Cantonese as languages which are somewhat overlooked. First of all, basing your observations on the membership of this forum is not very scientific. I'm sure there are a lot of people learning these languages who aren't members of this forum so that will no doubt skew the numbers. On a more personal note, I have no practical use for either of these languages and I'm sure a lot of other people may feel the same way. They're both fascinating languages and I would make an effort to learn a few phrases in Hindi or Cantonese if I were planning a visit to India or Hong Kong but I don't see a real urgency to learn either at this moment.

As for the African languages, apart from the fact that I'd have very few opportunities to use any African language in my everyday life, the resources available for learning any language other than Afrikaans or Swahili are few and far between. Most of the existing books or courses are either very outdated or are aimed at linguists rather than language learners.

People should be free to learn whatever interests them, whether it's Georgian, Zulu or French.
1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6757 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 18 of 151
16 December 2008 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
maya_star17 wrote:
I see language learning as an opportunity to learn about other cultures.
Which is why, given the choice, I would choose Arabic or Hindi over Swedish or Italian any day.

I haven't been to Sweden, but what's wrong with Italy? The place is steeped in history, has great food, has made incredible contributions to culture - what's so dull about it?

You seem to be yearning for cultures that are more distant and exotic, but that doesn't make the more familiar ones any less worthwhile. I am not at all convinced that people studying Italian would've rather learned Arabic or Hindi, but are afraid to take them on - I bet they just really like Italy.

There is also the problem of what to do with a language once you learn it, if you plan to use it beyond communicating during travel. As far as I know, both Hindi and Arabic suffer from relatively low new book publication rates, and while I don't know anything about Arabic cinema, Bollywood cinema is definitely not to everyone's taste.

Your personal preferences are entirely legitimate, but the whole business with "wussiness" is a misconception on your part - by and large people won't study a language that isn't of significant interest to them no matter how easy it is, and those that do make that mistake are not likely to repeat it again, once they see the cost involved.

Edited by frenkeld on 16 December 2008 at 4:43pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

jbiesnecker
Diglot
China
yuehan.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6154 days ago

4 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Cantonese, Shanghainese

Message 19 of 151
16 December 2008 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
I'm sorry, but this is absurd.

1. Major languages are more useful than minor languages. That's why they're major languages! I know some (maybe lots) of you are learning foreign languages just to for the fun of learning them, and that's great, but most people don't do anything as monumentally difficult as achieving fluency in a foreign language without a good reason. If I had a career path that required me to learn Zulu I'd be all over it like gravy on mashed potatoes, but I don't -- mine requires Chinese (though I am learning Cantonese and Shanghainese as well, but not because they're exotic, but because I need them).

2. It's not like learning any language is easy. Yes, if you're a native English speaker than learning Spanish is easier -- maybe it will only take you as long as you spent in college for your Bachelor's Degree to achieve native-like fluency. Four to five years of hard work?! WUSS! :)

5 persons have voted this message useful

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5713 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 20 of 151
16 December 2008 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
maya_star17 wrote:
Furthermore:

-Cantonese is spoken by the same number of people as Italian (in total throughout the world), yet there are more than 3 times the amount of people studying Italian than there are studying Cantonese

-Hindi is spoken by far more people than Swedish, and yet this forum has far more people learning Swedish as it does learning Hindi

-The number of people on these forums learning "African languages" (Zulu, Swahili, Xhosa, etc) is very negligeable (sp?)

Some people learn languages not to travel but in order to gain access to the culture of which they are its vehicle, and culture is emphatically not a function of population. While every language has its genius and all societies have something to teach us, some peoples have made contributions grossly out of proportion to their numbers. Thus for an intellectual it makes immensely more sense to learn Hebrew, Italian or Pali than languages with humongous populations but comparatively meager cultural offerings.

Edited by JuanM on 16 December 2008 at 5:34pm

Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5712 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 
Speaks: French*, Dutch, German

Message 21 of 151
16 December 2008 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
"Are we all a bunch of wusses" : I don't agree at all!!!! To learn a language isn't wussy (it exist this word??? ) I think that it's not important which thing, for exmaple language, which you learn and it's never wussy. Other things as well, such as gardening are not as well. I don't want to learn other languages now, only the ones I've learned until now and improve them. I haven't interest or energy for learn, for example Japanese or an African language.    

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6516 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 22 of 151
16 December 2008 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
jbiesnecker wrote:
I'm sorry, but this is absurd.

1. Major languages are more useful than minor languages. That's why they're major languages! I know some (maybe lots) of you are learning foreign languages just to for the fun of learning them, and that's great, but most people don't do anything as monumentally difficult as achieving fluency in a foreign language without a good reason. If I had a career path that required me to learn Zulu I'd be all over it like gravy on mashed potatoes, but I don't -- mine requires Chinese (though I am learning Cantonese and Shanghainese as well, but not because they're exotic, but because I need them).

2. It's not like learning any language is easy. Yes, if you're a native English speaker than learning Spanish is easier -- maybe it will only take you as long as you spent in college for your Bachelor's Degree to achieve native-like fluency. Four to five years of hard work?! WUSS! :)

I like this answer.

I'll also note that most of us aren't doing languages to prove anything to anyone. It's not a competitive sport, after all, so being a "wuss" or not doesn't really apply. I got drawn to the languages I want to study as much by the culture related to it as the language itself, and I've had far more exposure to European, Russian and Asian cultures than African or even Middle Eastern. It's a fact of personal history, and nothing can change that.

maya_star17
Bilingual Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5729 days ago

269 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian*, French, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 23 of 151
16 December 2008 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
I haven't been to Sweden, but what's wrong with Italy? The place is steeped in history, has great food, has made incredible contributions to culture - what's so dull about it?
Italy is great. But since I'm already very fluent in French, and have a passive knowledge of Spanish, I can already understand a great deal of Italian. And while Italian culture is fascinating, it is stil a part of Western culture - deeply grounded in something I'm already largely familiar with. Learning Hindi or Cantonese would provide me (or any other Westerner) with so many more chances to learn new things about the world, about life, etc.

maya_star17
Bilingual Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5729 days ago

269 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian*, French, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 24 of 151
16 December 2008 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
Oh, and another thing - a lot of people have mentioned that utility (the "usefulness" of a language) has a role to play. That's largely true, but I've seen many people who are learning languages as a hobby/out of interest (this is often true for people studying Japanese, myself included).

In cases like that, I'm not sure why somebody would learn Catalan or Icelandic when there are many languages out there that are much more exotic, and spoken by far more people... especially when the person learning Catalan might already know Spanish, French, Italian, and Portuguese.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version