151 messages over 19 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 18 19 Next >>
Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5712 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 41 of 151
17 December 2008 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
What about learning about that culture in translation first? After all, one may end up deciding that one is not all that interested, or at least that one is interested in other cultures (perhaps one's own) even more, and time is a zero sum game.

I agree with this. One should be attracted to a culture in order to learn its language, and that attraction can only be engendered by getting acquainted with it, at first necessarily in translation.
1 person has voted this message useful

maya_star17
Bilingual Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5728 days ago

269 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian*, French, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 42 of 151
17 December 2008 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
@Iversen: thank you for your enlightening post. In one shot, you answered many of my questions :)

frenkeld wrote:
So, where is the problem? Spanish instead of Cantonese or Hindi? Having listened to bits of Italian out of curiosity?
Well, the fact is that learning Spanish is (in my situation) a matter of learning a lot less about language and culture than I could have learned if I studied Cantonese, Hindi, Georgian, or Zulu.

Not that Spanish language/culture has been/is a waste of time... but at one point, I was thinking of getting the entire Romance family down. In retrospect, I'm questioning why I would've bothered. There is a limit to the number of languages any human being can realistically learn well, and to the extent that I have time and brain cells, I would like to explore as much as I can.

Last but not least, frenkel, I agree that it is a good idea to try to get some idea of what a culture is like before deciding to go further.

jimbo baby!
United States
Joined 5790 days ago

202 posts - 208 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*

Message 43 of 151
17 December 2008 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
I would like to learn a more difficult language like Mandarin at some point. But my main interests now are in Romance and Germanic languages for cultural reasons, not because they are easier. As an American I am more familiar with Western European culture and history because that was the main focus for us in school and in the media. I could name the leaders of Britain, France, Germany and Spain without too much trouble but I would have great difficulty naming the leaders of Slavic or Asian countries unless that country is constantly in the news or in crisis. It's just a matter of exposure to certain cultures.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6756 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 44 of 151
17 December 2008 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
maya_star17 wrote:
... at one point, I was thinking of getting the entire Romance family down. In retrospect, I'm questioning why I would've bothered.

Oh, I do agree one has to "justify" to oneself each and every language one wants to take up in earnest. They all take an awful lot of time, and moving from one to the next just because it's there is a very bad idea.

Quote:
There is a limit to the number of languages any human being can realistically learn well, and to the extent that I have time and brain cells, I would like to explore as much as I can.

I haven't been able to decide which Western languages are "indispensable", and this determines how much time is left for the more exotic ones. I guess everyone has to decide for him or herself.

Edited by frenkeld on 17 December 2008 at 2:38pm

Vinlander
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5634 days ago

62 posts - 69 votes 
Studies: French

Message 45 of 151
17 December 2008 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
I think a big fator people are leaving out is the wealth of the people that speak it. The Germanic and Romance speakers consist a large part of the world's wealth. In poor countries no one bother's with books or software they learn it by talking to people in swahili. If your broke you can't really produce literature movies and all that so easily. This is why Japanese is so important to westener's, with all the products they produce it just make's sense to learn it.

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6260 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 46 of 151
17 December 2008 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
Maya – you need to understand that “useful” can mean many things to many people. Others need to realize that Sweden and Italy are not only about blondes and good food.

A very small European country can provide a lifetime of reading pleasure – considerably more so than some populous, exotic languages. If you learned the 4 main Romance languages (for the price of Japanese, Korean or Arabic) you’d for instance get access to over 20% of the world’s current book production, and a whole lot of movies. Concentrating “only” on 7 European languages you can claim being able to read in the original some 70% of the world’s book production. Likely more if you consider historical book production. Arabic and Korean will cost you about the same amount of time (or more) and offer considerably less in return. On the other hand, you’d experience something very different etc. and you may place greater value to this. Others will weigh things differently. I like Korean movies, but I’m not willing even to even attempt learning the language. “Liking” it is not a sufficient justification for the effort. On the other hand, I will likely attempt to learn Portuguese after Spanish even though I don’t have a very strong affinity for this culture. The effort-to-usefulness ratio is very favorable. Had I not learned Italian as a kid, I’d possibly even skip on Spanish. I’m leveraging my Slavic background to learn Russian. I am taking my time with it. If I didn’t speak Croatian, I doubt I would have tried even though Russian offers a wealth of literature. Am I a wuss? Perhaps, but I am making the effort. Most other Slavic speakers will not even try. Btw, Croatian>Russian is not as easy as it may seem and I find the two cultures very different. Where there is "overlap" I find it interesting, rather than boring. Cultures may cover similar ground, but they'll look at things differently.

Italy, France, Brazil, Mexico etc. are very different places, there’s an awful lot to see and do. I do not believe anyone can claim great knowledge of the western civilization even if they were familiar with all of the main European languages plus the classical ones. Having learned the language, you need to use it – a lot. A polyglot is not necessarily an erudite (although it helps - a lot). People eventually learn humility and get gray-haired. The same goes for other great civilizations. If you want to get a taste of it, and experience the culture, learning the basics and moving on is a way to go. I sort of want something “exotic”, sort of don’t feel like paying the piper.

I believe that “we” first need to appreciate our own (great) culture and the fact that we have it so “easy”. Not everyone can say they don’t “feel” like learning 6-7 great European languages. Your comment about a limit to the number of languages any human being can learn well is especially relevant for a person trying to learn some very distant languages.

Your comment about wussing out is also relevant, but I would call a wuss someone with a great desire to learn something “exotic,” with practical means to do so, and still not even attempting to do it and only if it motivates them to succeed. In any case, in language learning you should not berate yourself. You’re a hero. If one has absolutely no interest in something, it’s useless. People are complicated, and sometimes they will persuade themselves they don’t really want something (when in fact they do). This goes both for avoiding related languages and skipping on “exotic” ones.

Edited by reineke on 17 December 2008 at 5:48pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

sajro
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5809 days ago

129 posts - 131 votes 
1 sounds
Studies: Spanish

Message 47 of 151
17 December 2008 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
I think it has little if anything to do with comfort and more to do with interest. I, personally, am not interested in many Asian languages. If I were to learn an Asian language it would probably be Cantonese or Japanese, but I prefer I-E languages. They interest me more, with their inflections. I'm also interested by the Caucasian and Finno-Ugric families, as well as a few isolates.

So, it's not got anything to do with wussery. It's just not interesting to some people.

Oleg
Triglot
Groupie
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5642 days ago

57 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, Polish, English
Studies: Spanish, French, Italian

Message 48 of 151
17 December 2008 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
Oh, come on! If I'm not interested in Africa, it doesn't make me a racist. And I'm not gonna move to Cambodia, therefore I don't want to learn Khmer.
I learn Spanish because I'm interested in Spanish-speaking world, its people, Spanish and Latin American literature, cinema, etc., and not because I understood that it would be easier to find Spanish penpals or grammar books when I was making my choice.

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version