languagelearners.myf
Joined 5807 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 9 of 151
16 December 2008 at 2:49am | IP Logged 
zerothinking wrote:
It depends on your very motivation for learning a language in the first place.

Unlike some hard-core language enthusiasts, most people want to learn languages for
their practical usages. There's no point dedicating good time to a language that won't
serve you in any way shape or form and will take longer to learn. I don't think it's
that people are wusses at all. I just think that they are intelligent enough to choose
a language suited for them and what they want.

A lot of the choice comes down to the culture, the history, the people, and the
ethnicity of the language's country.

I will never learn Hindi or Punjabi because I don't really like anything about India.
That's just a personal thing. I think people are more likely to like what is more
familiar to them anyway so that's why a high amount of Westerners want to speak the
languages of and understand the cultures of other Western countries.

I see no reason to assume people are just wusses.

S/He, sums it up nicely
1 person has voted this message useful

charlmartell
Super Polyglot
Portugal
Joined 6057 days ago

286 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: French, English, German, Luxembourgish*, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch, Italian, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 10 of 151
16 December 2008 at 3:45am | IP Logged 
I had no idea what a wuss was, so I looked it up in my Concise Oxford dictionary; it wasn't there. I then used my Russian lingvo and was given the explanation, in Russian. And the nice lingvo also gave the following entry from the Oxford Dictionary: wuss [wʊs] a weak or ineffectual person (often used as a general term of abuse) Derivatives: wussy (wussies) & Origin: 1980s (originally North American slang): of unknown origin.
Definitely not the word I would have used for people learning languages. Anyone actually learning another language, for whatever reason, is most certainly not a wuss.

Anyway, what's wrong with learning related languages? Look at that stupid list appearing at the left of my postings. I never decided to become a polyglot, it just happened because I travelled a bit and wasn't going to look an idiot like my parents did in Lugano (Switzerland). Communication problems: people spoke Italian and nothing but Italian, so my mother gesticulated and my father was red in the face, bright red too, with embarrassment. God, was I "mortified" (aged 12). So, before going anywhere, I previously learn survival whatever, look at my list and you'll know where I've been. Not Russia, Russian is for love, not survival. And now, aged 70, obviously none of them are for future economic reasons. Nor glory. So there! Don't anybody ever dare call me a wuss!
P.S. I might even still learn some Arabic or Swahili one day, but first I'm going to tie up a few loose ends in my existing languages. In the TAC 2009.
3 persons have voted this message useful

J-Learner
Australia
Joined 5843 days ago

556 posts - 636 votes 
Studies: Yiddish, English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 11 of 151
16 December 2008 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
I am studying Hebrew, soon Spanish, Dutch and Yiddish.

After a year break after those I will move onto another bunch of languages.

Turkish, Portuguese, German and finish off my Yiddish.

Then it could be anything at all. Hindi is on my list as are chinese Mandarin and Cantonese, Lithuanian, Japanese, Thai, Hungarian, Estonian, Finnish, Swahili, Hausa, Arabic, Aramic, Russian, Bengali, Marathi, Sanskrit, pali, latin, Greek of all forms, Farsi, French, Indonesian......

I hope I'm not a wuss! Still...I am definitely crazy :D

Shalom,
Yehoshua.

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6678 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 12 of 151
16 December 2008 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
I don't think its a question of being timid. I think that people have personal reasons for not being exotic. There is nothing to stop me learning Zulu, but it is a better use of my time to learn French and Dutch as I live in a bilingual French/Dutch city. Learning languages, like anything, is a case of cost-benefit ratio. 200 hours spent learning French is a better investment in a city where French is spoken that 200 hours spent learning Zulu. You could reverse that situation if you were living in KwaZulu Natal, where the opposite applies.

There is also the issue that most (?) of the users on here have a European language as their first language, so will find these languages easier. Also, many language teachers urge you to learn an "easy" language first, so you know your learning style and what works. Many of us have ambitions to move onto Korean, Russia etc but need to master our "easy language" first. I am fascinated by how there always seems to be more you can learn.

Edited by FuroraCeltica on 16 December 2008 at 5:03am

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6756 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 13 of 151
16 December 2008 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
maya_star17 wrote:
Are we all just a bunch of wusses? It seems to me that the vast majority of the people in these forums (again, including myself) stick almost exclusively to European languages (especially Romance and Germanic languages).

If you pour over the list of target languages by native language, you will see that not only the Westerners, but others as well make their top selections from among the major West European languages, Russian, Japanese, and Mandarin. As just two examples, the native English speakers have the same top 4 choices as the speakers of Mandarin (excluding English), and the native Russian speakers do not sport a single Slavic language among their top 7 choices. Japanese is the 4th most popular language in the forum.

Clearly, the ease of learning plays a role, but I get the impression that, hard or easy, most people tend to choose only from among the languages they perceive to be especially useful to them, be it for entertainment or professional reasons.

Edited by frenkeld on 16 December 2008 at 10:32am

4 persons have voted this message useful

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6259 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 14 of 151
16 December 2008 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
I've never really chosen a language based on how glorious it would make me look. I chose German because I liked the sound of it and the culture; I chose to (re)learn French because I had taken it in high school and forgotten most of what I'd learned; I chose Russian because I'm interested in Russian history, and I find Russian culture to be fascinating.

Sure, if I were just looking for the language that would make others go "wow, look, he's learning that!", I'd go for something exotic, or extremely difficult. But I don't particularly care what others think, so I've gone for what I like. If I liked how Mandarin sounded (I don't), or if I was in love with Asian culture, I'd go after an Asian language. But that's not the case for me.

Personally, I think if you're concerned about appearing "wussy" based on what languages you're learning, you're learning languages for the wrong reasons. :-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

chelovek
Diglot
United States
Joined 5900 days ago

413 posts - 461 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 15 of 151
16 December 2008 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
I would assume that most people here, like myself, study what interests them and what is of the most use to them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

maya_star17
Bilingual Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5728 days ago

269 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian*, French, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 16 of 151
16 December 2008 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
josht wrote:
Personally, I think if you're concerned about appearing "wussy" based on what languages you're learning, you're learning languages for the wrong reasons. :-)
I see language learning as an opportunity to learn about other cultures.

Which is why, given the choice, I would choose Arabic or Hindi over Swedish or Italian any day.

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version