78 messages over 10 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 10
Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5936 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 73 of 78
31 July 2009 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
Kugel wrote:
I had a look at a few of the sample pages of Lingua Latina, and I found it hard to figure out what some of the words meant using the "direct method." By not looking up words you are favoring using words in an imprecise manner, which can lead to embarrassment and laziness...at least in your native language; it would be simply confusion and frustration in the L2. Context can often be misleading and ambiguous. Is there a vocab book alongside of the main text?   

Reading the excerpts from random chapters as provided on their site doesn't do justice to the method. The books are meant to be used linearly, with knowledge being built up through the course of the chapters.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kugel
United States
Joined 6326 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 74 of 78
31 July 2009 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
Alkeides wrote:
Kugel wrote:
I had a look at a few of the sample pages of Lingua Latina, and I found it hard to figure out what some of the words meant using the "direct method." By not looking up words you are favoring using words in an imprecise manner, which can lead to embarrassment and laziness...at least in your native language; it would be simply confusion and frustration in the L2. Context can often be misleading and ambiguous. Is there a vocab book alongside of the main text?   

Reading the excerpts from random chapters as provided on their site doesn't do justice to the method. The books are meant to be used linearly, with knowledge being built up through the course of the chapters.

Of course, but it would be interesting to see just how a text can avoid being ambiguous when the text is not your native language. After all, you can't guess on words in your native text, so why would guessing on words be true for an L2? It's not like the direct method in language learning was designed by mathematicians using probability theory. Is it not like rolling the dice if the context is ambiguous? For each word is there a set of possible definitions that the author has considered? Did the authors considered the empty set? Why should there be an empty set? Naturally, one wouldn't come up with nonsense like, "America is in chocolate, and China is in doltons." But it can't be this simple in the "big sense" of language learning.     

The laws of indifference necessarily mean that a text will be ambiguous in most cases if one doesn't know the vocab. However, if one was a genius on probability theory, and if the direct method was designed so that it was mathematically impossible(probability of the sun not rising again) for a student to fail the language instruction, then that would be a very interesting language learning method.     

Edited by Kugel on 05 August 2009 at 6:40am

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6258 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 75 of 78
05 August 2009 at 7:45am | IP Logged 
There is a vocabulary book available as a companion, but really, you don't typically need it. The contexts where you encounter new vocabulary have been chosen very well, and sometimes pictures or other explanations accompany the introduction of new vocabulary on the sidelines.

JonB
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6053 days ago

209 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Dutch, Greek

Message 76 of 78
05 August 2009 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
I wonder if Prof Arguelles still reads the posts on the forum?

(Apart from one brief plug for a Youtube-video, he hasn't posted anything here for several months past, has he?)

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5500 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Hindi

Message 77 of 78
14 August 2009 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
Actually,

I did think of one more thing I don't like.

Since this course is more than likely going to be inspired by one of the old A. Cherel Assimil type courses, I can think of one more thing I dislike about that course. The exercises. After each dialogue is an "exercise," which I'm guessing doesn't mean "exercise" in the traditional sense (something done as a means of practice) but meaning to display aspects of the lesson.

Now if there was an actual exercise one could COMPLETE I think that would be a great improvement. Also, as has been mentioned the "7th lesson" in the older Assimils were not exercises in the traditional sense: no drilling, no questions. Just an explanation of what you've learned. This is nice but this is one of the big reasons this course needs supplementation.

I'd love to see something like a mixing in of my other favorite course: the old TYS series.

Okay, I'm done!

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5373 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 78 of 78
28 August 2009 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
I would DEFINITELY buy the ones for Italian, French, German, and Esperanto (if you made one for esperanto)

Best of luck, and I really hope that something stems from this idea :)

This discussion contains 78 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version