emmerick.be
Joined 5496 days ago

352 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, Italian, English, German
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 89 of 177
03 July 2010 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
I'm reading:
Antonia Arslan, La Strada di Smirne. The original in Italian.
1 person has voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6477 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 90 of 177
03 July 2010 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
Fun thread!

German: Feuchtgebiete by Charlotte Roche
Russian: Родная Речь by Вайль и Генис
Norwegian: Kruttårnet by Jens Bjørneboe
Hungarian: Ciróka by Gábor Éva :)

ladanoise
Groupie
United States
Joined 5092 days ago

45 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Danish

Message 91 of 177
15 July 2010 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
I just finished a book called "I am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced" - excellent
thought -provoking book about a Yemen girl - the original was in French with
the title "Moi Nujood, Age 10, Divorce".

Violaine
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5043 days ago

6 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 92 of 177
17 July 2010 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
I am so admirative to see in so many different languages some of you can read.
I am reading the Collected Poems by Sylvia Plath. I love them.

aarontp
Groupie
United States
Joined 5066 days ago

94 posts - 139 votes 

Message 93 of 177
19 August 2010 at 9:18am | IP Logged 
Juan M. wrote:
Volte wrote:
I don't particularly like using dictionaries more than
absolutely necessary, and prefer to acquire vocabulary from context

I must say, I tried this method for a long time for English and Spanish with terrible
results; my writing suffered a lot from an imprecise knowledge and use of vocabulary,
particularly in my native tongue. I think one learns vocabulary from a dictionary and
masters it through context. Nowadays I don't sit down to read in any language unless I
have a dictionary by my side, either in physical or online format.

I know this was posted a while ago, but I have to point out that I agree. I have no
idea how people acquire vocabulary exclusively through context. I tried to do it for a
little while, and then went back to what has worked best for me in my native language.
I usually don't even read books in my native language without a dictionary close by. I
typically look up every new word I see. As a result, my vocabulary has improved
immensely, both in my native language and in foreign languages I study.

Jezrul
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5031 days ago

27 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 94 of 177
19 August 2010 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
I'm reading Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris.

Leivo
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 5008 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, French, English, Swedish
Studies: German, Hungarian

Message 95 of 177
27 August 2010 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
aarontp wrote:

I know this was posted a while ago, but I have to point out that I agree. I have no
idea how people acquire vocabulary exclusively through context. I tried to do it for a
little while, and then went back to what has worked best for me in my native language.
I usually don't even read books in my native language without a dictionary close by. I
typically look up every new word I see. As a result, my vocabulary has improved
immensely, both in my native language and in foreign languages I study.

Well, I'm one of the people who try to figure out as much from the context as possible, but I really like to use a mixed method: sometimes I look things up from the dictionary and write them down / put them on flashcards, sometimes I just read on, try to pick things up from context and only look up what's necessary for understanding what's going on. It always worked for me, and I think it's a better way to learn the language if you at least occasionally try to understand things from context. If you really want to learn the language, you're not always going to be in a situation where you can have a dictionary. Also, a translation to your native language is not necessarily going to be 100 % accurate because languages don't always have words for the same things, and the nuances can be different and hard to explain in a dictionary, so you always have to pay attention to the context if you want to really learn the word.

But dictionaries are definitely an important tool because you can't figure out everything from the context, and you may also guess things wrong if you never check them. I don't almost ever look up things in my native language, though, there are very few words coming up I don't know, and those are usually regional/archaic words. Or cases where I go "What do you mean, MS Word spellcheck, that it's spelled like that? I've always spelled it like this!"

Pardon the digression. Now, my current foreign-language books are:

"Die unendliche Geschichte" by Michael Ende (German; this was one of my greatest favourite books as a child, and now I'm reading it for the first time in German and loving it as much as before)

"Szív a kerítésen" by Katalin Nagy (Hungarian; it's a children's/YA book and the best thing I found for my current language level, but it's also a lot of fun to read

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6238 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 96 of 177
28 August 2010 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
I'm reading books of Kolomano Kalocsay's poetry. Yesterday, I read "Izolo", and today "Versojn oni ne aĉetas", and I've started "Ezopa saĝo." Kalocsay is sometimes called the Chaucer of Esperanto, and is usually hailed as its greatest poet.

On the whole, I'd say that he writes stunningly well, but I've come to share William Auld's* opinion that Eŭgeno Miĥalski is a better poet. Miĥalski's "fajro kuracas" is rather disturbing in terms of content (he very strongly advocates politics and actions I could never condone), but is absolutely stunning nonetheless, as poetry.

That said, I'm yet to read "Streĉita kordo", which is usually considered Kalocsay's best book of original Esperanto poetry.

William Auld is another Esperanto poet, notable for having written an epic poem in Esperanto, "La infana raso", which was repeatedly nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature before his death.

This discussion contains 177 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version