chomikuj.pl/Kuba_wal
Joined 6651 days ago

415 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC2, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 33 of 177
25 October 2009 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
the wind-up bird chronicle by Murakami Haruki

so far it's been average.. does it get better?

Edited by Kubelek on 25 October 2009 at 4:55pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6955 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 34 of 177
25 October 2009 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
"The Uralic Languages" (ed. Daniel Abondolo) - diachronic surveys of Uralic languages (e.g. Estonian, Hungarian, Mari, Nganasan)

"Fifteen Modern Polish Short Stories" (compiled by Alexander Schenker) - Short stories in Polish with annotation in English and Polish-English glossary

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5698 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 35 of 177
25 October 2009 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
The Story of Civilization 1: Our Oriental Heritage by Will Durant. I think Durant was one of the most insightful men of the last century, and his monumental Story of Civilization in 11 volumes a joy to read as well as a spectacular achievement.

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5766 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 36 of 177
28 October 2009 at 3:56am | IP Logged 
I recently finished the New Penguin Parallel Text: Short Stories in German. It helped my comprehension, but I didn't much like the stories. They were OK, but not really worth intensive reading--it just got boring. I did like the last one, though: "Der Verdächtige," or, "The Suspect." It was Kafkaesque. Speaking of Kafka, I found that he isn't really any more difficult to read in the original that the stories in this Penguin book were, so I'll be reading more of him. I already know him in translation, not everything, but certainly will be reading more.

The German texts I can find are not too great--I have to severely restrict my spending right now--so I'm stuck with a .25 cent castoff copy of "Zimmerpflanzen Und Ihre Pflege." Anyone want to talk houseplants and their cultivation? I didn't think so. I also have a nice copy of Heidi in the original that I bought last year. Somehow I missed that one growing up and never read it. In translation, I've been trying to finish Thomas Mann's "The Magic Mountain," but the thing is an Alp in itself. I can't yet bear to think of what the original text looks like!

I also was rereading some of Borges' Ficciones. In English to review them--he's pretty complex--labyrinthine!--and then I'll try to get a copy of the original. I found a wonderful science blog online by Eduardo Punset, a Spanish science writer and TV broadcaster. Reading it is a really fun way to work on reviving Spanish!

ymapazagain
Australia
myspace.com/amywiles
Joined 6758 days ago

504 posts - 538 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: SpanishB2

Message 37 of 177
30 October 2009 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
I am currently reading Crepusculo (Twilight) by Stephenie Meyer. As I'm still only at an intermediate level of Spanish this book is great as it is targeted towards teenagers as a catchy and easy to read novel.

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6464 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 38 of 177
30 October 2009 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
I have developed a habit of reading three diffent books in three different languages at different times of the day (on the bus to work, on the bus back home, and before going to bed): Currently, I'm reading "La Mécanique du Coeur" by Mathias Malzieu, "Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace, and "Os filhos da meia-noite" (= Midnight Children in Portuguese) by Salman Rushdie. I just finished "Der Zauberberg" by Thomas Mann, which is one of the most amazing books I've ever read. James Joyce's "Ulysses" and Jorge Luis Borges complete works are next on my reading list.

Champollion
Spain
Joined 5300 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: Danish

Message 39 of 177
05 November 2009 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone, this is a post to admit that i am reading my first pleasure-reading, in German language. The time of reading just the text book is over!!!
So the fortunated book(or the book which made me fortunated), is a translation in German from the norwegian, it is "Bjorger", written by Knut Hamsun.
   ---      ---
    0       ;  0
        +
     )      ;(
      ------

Halie
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5909 days ago

80 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 40 of 177
06 November 2009 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
I'm currently reading Harry Potter et le prisonier d'Azkaban, which is the French translation of the third Harry Potter. :) I'm so proud of myself, it's the first book I've been able to read through in French without needing a dictionary every paragraph or two. I look up words if I'm really in a bind maybe every 5-10 pages, but hardly ever.

This discussion contains 177 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version