Joined 5311 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: Czech*, EnglishC1
Studies: German
Studies: Turkish

Message 153 of 206
16 November 2009 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
Language of truth?
Interesting idea. Considering more complex cultural or scientific truth (or rather
theory), I came to conclusion that there is no one language that is the most precise.
It
depends on the field of study.
For example, there is no better language for teachings of buddhism than original pali -
Czech and English are rather horrible here, mostly because of vocabulary. For
metaphysics
of substance ancient greek or latin are good options. In aesthetics it seems that ther
are some japanese terms (wabi, sabi, yugen) which are simply impossible to translate.
In
my mind they are connected more with specific images than with English or Czech
equivalents. So If I knew Japanese, I would certainly use it in a discussion about
aesthetic qualities of viewing stones or bonsais.

Edited by Satupeka on 16 November 2009 at 10:33pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5378 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 154 of 206
18 November 2009 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
President Obama recently gave a speech in Shanghai detailing his Sino-American policy (video here). I'm surprised at how few people in the audience are not listening to the translation through headphones. Though it may be a self-selected sample, with people who speak English more likely to attend the speech than those who don't.

Edited by Levi on 18 November 2009 at 5:51am

Alvinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 6045 days ago

828 posts - 832 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 155 of 206
18 November 2009 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
Levi wrote:
President Obama recently gave a speech in Shanghai detailing his Sino-American policy (video here). I'm surprised at how few people in the audience are not listening to the translation through headphones. Though it may be a self-selected sample, with people who speak English more likely to attend the speech than those who don't.

He was talking at a slow pace...that's why most of audience didn't need any headphones......add this to the fact that he's good at giving speeches....

Edited by Alvinho on 18 November 2009 at 3:23pm

GoingGoingGone
United States
Joined 5479 days ago

28 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 156 of 206
18 November 2009 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
As my favorite travel writer Rick Steeves says, when a Norwegian meets a Greek in the Swiss Alps, they use English to communicate. There needs to be some kind of secondary universal language, since it's impossible for everyone (and probably anyone - although someone on these forums might correct me on this!) to learn EVERY language and frankly those people need to communicate. It's important to call this not the "universal" language but the universal "secondary" language because it is by no means meant to take the place of any culture's own first language. And for better or worse, for all intents and purposes, English has already started to take on that role more than any other. It is the "de facto" universal second language (first of course in English speaking countries).

It is important, and even more important given English's status in the world, for people in English speaking countries to learn at least one other language and preferably more than one. It shows respect for others and our acceptance that English is not "superior" just coincidentally happened to fill the roll of "universal".
2 persons have voted this message useful

Rikyu-san
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 5339 days ago

213 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 157 of 206
18 November 2009 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
I agree. And perhaps we should have more than one secondary universal language...? Isn't it implied in what you write?

By learning English I have my feet planted solidly in the modern West. But in fact only partially - the French speaking and (to some extent) German speaking parts of it are still unaccessible. It doesn't help to communicate in English if we want to know the soul of other non-English speaking cultures.

By learning Mandarin and Japanese, I will have the chance to get my feet planted in a large part of the East. Of course, again, only part of it, but if I do a Steve Kaufman then why stop at only six languages?

Multi lingualism may only be achievable for the fewer of us but it will definitely be well worth trying. I think multi lingualism is an upcoming trend, and that is good.

If we believe that English will be enough for us Westerners to communicate in the world we may be up for an unpleasant awakening. Just as Danes can no longer walk around with our flag on suitcases because of our diplomatic stupidity in some parts of the world, and Ruasian is not welcome in large parts of the former East-bloc countries, we may find ourselves in a situation where we have to distance ourselves from English. Economic meltdown, unwinnable and incredibly destructive wars, environmental disasters, exploitation of large parts of the world... apart from our own sense of self-aggrandizement, what can we be proud of at the end of the day?

Edited by Rikyu-san on 18 November 2009 at 5:00pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5845 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 158 of 206
18 November 2009 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
Alvinho wrote:
Levi wrote:

He was talking at a slow pace...that's why most of audience didn't need any headphones......add this to the fact that he's good at giving speeches....

Few people in the audience were *not* listening to the translation, or rather few people were listening to it? I think there's an extra not here ;p.

Anyway, I agree that he articulates very clearly so following him is not the greatest linguistic challenge. The audience actually looks kind of brainwashed and the girls are suspiciously pretty. Probably they were hand-picked for beauty, like that "singer" girl on the Olympics.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Hoopskidoodle
United States
Joined 5311 days ago

55 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 159 of 206
18 November 2009 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
GoingGoingGone wrote:
...It is important, and even more important given English's status in the world, for people in English speaking countries to learn at least one other language and preferably more than one...

IMO, that might well be somewhat "important" for Brits and Aussies, given their proximity to and ties with continental Europe and China respectively. However, don't believe that it is, or will be in the foreseeable future, at all important for the average American to speak any language other than English. That opinion doesn't hinge upon a belief in an inherent superiority of English, or even its ostensible linguistic hegemony. It owes more to the size of the United States, both in terms of population and landmass (particularly arable land,) and its relative geographical isolation from most of the world.

It is certainly a laudable goal to, for instance, be able to read Proust in French or early Nabokov in Russian, but I don't believe that it is of any real necessity for the vast majority of Americans.

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5332 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 160 of 206
18 November 2009 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
Hoopskidoodle wrote:
GoingGoingGone wrote:
...It is important, and even more important given English's status in the world, for people in English speaking countries to learn at least one other language and preferably more than one...

IMO, that might well be somewhat "important" for Brits and Aussies, given their proximity to and ties with continental Europe and China respectively. However, don't believe that it is, or will be in the foreseeable future, at all important for the average American to speak any language other than English. That opinion doesn't hinge upon a belief in an inherent superiority of English, or even its ostensible linguistic hegemony. It owes more to the size of the United States, both in terms of population and landmass (particularly arable land,) and its relative geographical isolation from most of the world.

It is certainly a laudable goal to, for instance, be able to read Proust in French or early Nabokov in Russian, but I don't believe that it is of any real necessity for the vast majority of Americans.

I wouldn't give Nabokov as a prime reason to learn Russian, but in any case, aren't you forgetting Mexico? Or the sizable Spanish speaking minority, in some communities even a majority.

Re Nabokov, I once read that there may be different reasons for authors to write in languages that are their native tongues, necessity was one, but the one implied as a Nabokov's was "жгущее славолюбие", "burning vainglory"...

This discussion contains 206 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version