206 messages over 26 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 25 26 Next >>
Mithridates
Korea, South
pagef30.com
Joined 5487 days ago

21 posts - 36 votes

Message 65 of 206
05 November 2009 at 3:45am | IP Logged 
So-called neutrality in languages is overrated, and almost always seems to be based on vocabulary alone. I find languages like Persian to be more "neutral" for an English speaker than something like German though, because the grammar is that much easier for an English speaker to get used to than German with genders and cases that must be used properly. Constructed languages are the same - the classic definition of neutrality is not a language that has a bit of vocabulary from everywhere, but simply a language where everyone is using it as an L2. I actually find that familiarity with vocabulary can often make a language a bit tricky because spelling and usage will be a tiny bit different than something you're used to, while those without a western European language as an L1 have the benefit of approaching it from a clean slate.

In any case, if anyone decides to make a good constructed language based on Turkic or Finno-Ugric languages and it seems to be getting a lot of play in the media then I'll support that too. Whatever works.
1 person has voted this message useful

Rikyu-san
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 5339 days ago

213 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 66 of 206
05 November 2009 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
At the end of the day, no language is better than its speakers. Speaking English in an unjust society is a different experience from speaking English in a more just and fair society.

We need strengths of character to create a more fair society, and we need to understand our own culture in order to give our character strengths the depth of meaning that is necessary to understand and make sense of our experience and make decisions that lead to the Good Life. As a Dane, this would mean that I should study my own Vedic and Old Norse heritage, among other things, and understand the "why" of what we have been doing for ages. There is a lot to be gained from this. If you follow this suggestion, find the strengths in your own culture. Our finest moments are undying treasures.

The current cultural climate in the West, broadly speaking, is heading towards the lower end of the spectrum, not higher levels of education and character development. Mass media, consumer culture... care for a workout on the hedonic treadmill, anyone? Unfortunately, English serves as the medium by which this is happening.

To reverse this downward spiralling trend, people who communicate in English need to change the place inside themselves from where they are communicating. A healthy balance between enjoying life in the moment and striving towards realizing deeper values in the future can only be done with a certain healthy dose of strengths of character, not solely by hedonic milling around.

Edited by Rikyu-san on 05 November 2009 at 9:38am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5332 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 67 of 206
05 November 2009 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
Gustaf, you argue your case well and I respect that.

Just one thing - based on your other posts I got the impression that you are a real Swedish patriot (which I support, of course)!

Hasn't it occurred to you that 50 more years of the kind of total annihilation onslaught of English language media, films, culture, language etc will KILL Swedish culture and language? I don't think I need to quote how many urban parents enroll their kids in English language schools and that many Swedish children are no longer familiar with fairly basic Nordic cultural traditions that were taken for granted only a few decades ago? While at the same time wanting to celebrate "Halloween" and being 100% up to scratch on Disney and American swearwords? The onslaught of English plus the governments misguided love-affair with "multi-culturalism" spells for the death of our language and culture. Or its renigation to the sidelines or rural backwaters. I for one do not want to see that happen.

Esperanto has no political agenda other than to facilitate communication, and promote peace. It has no economic interests and has never attempted to colonise the world or force its worldview on anyone else.
Therefore it is not a threat to existing language and culture, whereas English is. If you think that this threat is irrelevant or that the development of losing national identity is desirable, well then English is a great language. If not, we need to be very careful.

Well, that is why I don't like universal or global languages in the first place. I don't think however that English is really threatening the Swedish language, what is happening and will continue to happen is that American "culture" will go on devastating real culture everywhere. Not that there is much left in a place like Sweden. For every person playing folk violin there are a hundred kids dreaming of becoming the next Justin Timberlake, and ten thousand people that just listen to that rubbish.

This has nothing to do with the English language really, and it's not the English language that will eradicate Swedish culture, it's sheer mathematics. America is 40 times larger than Sweden, and by being able to do away with any vestiges of culture they can produce lowest common denominator material that appeals to everyone everywhere. We still haven't fully mastered that art over here.

The reason Esperanto is not a threat is that it will never be larger than it is now. After over a hundred years, it still has less speakers than Icelandic. I especially like this wikipedia quote:

"Assuming that this figure is accurate, that means that about 0.03% of the world's population speaks the language. This falls short of Zamenhof's goal of a universal language, but it represents a level of popularity unmatched by any other constructed language."

I still don't see why a world language should be culturally neutral or exactly what that would mean. As it is now, the few people that have heard of Esperanto surely connect it with left-wing save-the-world student-hippies? How is that neutral? For a language to conquer the world it has to be anything but neutral. English succeeds precisely because it is identified with American "culture" and "civilisation" - Hollywood, Wall Street, Britney Spears, Hamburgers and most of all the national idols, Money and success.

But is it really true that urban Swedes enroll their children in English speaking schools? I didn't know. It sounds scary. I know it is common in Asia, but I never thought it would happen here. It would make more sense to study Norwegian, Norway is much richer than America.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 68 of 206
05 November 2009 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
.... there is another dimension to this discussion; any language that is spoken by many people in many countries can be, and often is, dramatically transformed into many divergent dialects or pidgin languages thus people in Jamaica and Singapore claim to speak English but the way they speak it is so unique that foreign visitors to those countries often struggle to understand the local people.

I have not visited Jamaica, but several other Caribbean islands and places like Singapore, the Phillipines, India, Australia, South Africa, Scotland and New York City. What happens is that the local populations may develop specific dialects, but at the same time they generally are able to speak a more 'standardized' English to foreigners. The big difference between the time where (for instance) Vulgar Latin diverged into the Romance languages is that films, TV programs and music in slightly diverging, but fully intercomprehensible variants of English now are used all over the planet and they exert a strongly levelling influence. So while it is true that English eventually may split up in a number of incomprehensible offspring languages, all of these will still exist as mere variants under an umbrella composed of those ENglisshes that are consumed through the mass media.

It does take some amount of irrational nationalistic atavism to fight for the use of national languages under this Anglophone onslaught, and in small language communities with intense international connections there will be people who find it more rational (or alluring) to drop all resistance and love your international super language. It has happened before - Low German essentially died when Luther published the Bible in some-where-in-the-middle High German. And now it is either ignored or seen as something spoken by elderly people living in isolated villages.

Edited by Iversen on 05 November 2009 at 11:21am

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5332 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 69 of 206
05 November 2009 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
It does take some amount of irrational nationalistic atavism to fight for the use of national languages under this Anglophone onslaught, and in small language communities with intense international connections there will be people who find it more rational (or alluring) to drop all resistance and love your international super language.

It may perhaps be alluring to succumb to English, but why would it be irrational to fight for your own language? If you like Swedish, it's certainly natural to try to save it. Much more natural than giving way to English. What did you think here?

Edited by Gusutafu on 05 November 2009 at 3:09pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 70 of 206
05 November 2009 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
What I thought? I thought for instance at one of my collegues who in all earnest said that it was more practical if we just dropped Danish and became truly international and global and all that, speaking English. Films, documentaries and popular music are already mostly in English, some companies have English as their common languages, some academic studies are conducted in English and some naive people have the idea that if there are 100 Danes and one foreigner in a room then we all should speak English.

So the it isn't too farfetched that these people - who haven't a shred of reverence for their accidental country and language - would drop the Danish language at dthe drop of a hat. As you may infer from my post above I don't share their opinions.

mick33
United States
Joined 5735 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 72 of 206
05 November 2009 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
Tombstone wrote:
I was actually married in Denmark, in the city of Vejle. An absolutely beautiful city, and the people there were some of the nicest I met in all of Europe.

I like the language but have never studied it. I had memorized maybe 30 Danish phrases and their most common responses before I went up there and the people were all very patient with me.

Strangely enough, every single person I asked to help me by correcting my Danish or making improvement suggestions answered in almost impeccable English.
This actually brings up another point; many English speakers (at least in North America) are surprised when we meet Europeans or Asians who speak English well. Yes you are reading this correctly, we are often unaware of just how dominant English is internationally.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 206 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version