Norway
Joined 5264 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 201 of 206
19 March 2010 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
crackpot wrote:
I traveled around the world for 5 months, 14 countries with English, what other language
can you do that with?

You won't get around the entire world, but both Spanish and French are spoken in more than 14 countries.

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6250 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 202 of 206
20 March 2010 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
crackpot wrote:
I traveled around the world for 5 months, 14 countries with English, what other language
can you do that with?

Some people have done that with Esperanto. I know one who did 14 countries (but over more than 5 months); I've heard of several others. I've done 4 countries with it.

You can do it with every major language, I'd think. Between expat communities, companies aimed at helping tourists, and so forth, I don't see any reason why traveling 14 countries with only one language would be impossible. Not speaking a local language occasionally leads to problems, but those can be surprisingly rare, especially if you're spending time with a community of people who speak both your language and that of the local community.

2 persons have voted this message useful

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6771 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 203 of 206
20 March 2010 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
crackpot wrote:
can you do that with?

It depends where you go.

English is the official languages of about 80 countries
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_where_English _is_an_official_language

with your French you can be understood in 30 countries or more
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_language

With your sSanish you can go without problems in 20 countries or more
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_where_Spanish _is_an_official_language

then with Arabic you can be understood in more than 15 countries in Africa and Asia , also Russian is widely spoken in eastern Europe and ex.Ussr countries .

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6771 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 204 of 206
20 March 2010 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
[QUOTE=crackpot] I traveled around the world for 5 months, 14 countries with English, what other language
can you do that with?

Some people have done that with Esperanto. I know one who did 14 countries (but over more than 5 months); .

/QUOTE]

Of course you can do it with Esperanto , but you need to go to the esperanto clubs.
Or you can do it with Latin if you speak only with almost all catholic priests ...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6250 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 205 of 206
20 March 2010 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
vilas wrote:
Volte wrote:
crackpot wrote:
can you do that with?

Some people have done that with Esperanto. I know one who did 14 countries (but over more than 5 months); .

Of course you can do it with Esperanto , but you need to go to the esperanto clubs.
Or you can do it with Latin if you speak only with almost all catholic priests ...

You need to find speakers, not clubs. I've only been to clubs in two countries, and neither were a major part of my experience.

But, as I said, what the official language of a country is is surprisingly unimportant.

PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5184 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 206 of 206
21 March 2010 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:

As much as I like Britain: Frankly, I don't know what Brits have done to deserve the "free ride" they get from being native speakers of English.

Speaking as a Brit* who doesn't have a love for the majority of his region and gracefully admires those regions that still speak Irish and Scottish Gaelic and Welsh,

Thankyou very much for bringing this up. I've spent about one and a half hours reading all the way up to page 12, seeing more and more arguments come in and out and feeling as guilty as I always have. There's a general aura of blissful ignorance in the UK and America that actually disgusts me.

Our language courses at school that you made reference to do almost nothing unless students actually take a liking towards generally poor quality teaching of a language that most don't take pleasure in learning (I for one at school hated French and German lessons and was allowed to give up both after just 3 years of 2 lessons a week in each, tragically in hindsight...). It's so easy to give up language learning at the point when many foreigners are at an intermediate stage. People as a consequence don't know how to learn languages and may see it as just the unenjoyable chore that our school language programs demonstrate it as. Even at 19 at university, I'm quite unusual in my social group for wanting to learn another language. Seeing downright ignorance of other cultures (not in my social group but just around me) helped me to decide that I wanted to learn another language.

The argument for us Brits is about the need to learn the language. Due to colonialism (I won't expand further) and neocolonialism, amongst other reasons, Brits now are brought up into a society that's able to walk into others without much difficulty (except notable chunks) and tend to encounter foreigners learning their language and integrating with the community. Most foreign-based businesses that Brits encounter also generally can communicate easily in English. This argument is strong but this is continuously leading to Brits getting an easy ride with languages. However I do feel that in many developed countries the need to learn English is not significantly there (i.e. those not employed in multinational corporations or in tourism). Often there is a desire for other reasons - one being to learn a language that is recognised in many other countries. Why then do they not learn Spanish? It is recognised in considerably less countries than English is.

I read somewhere else on this thread that a lot of English speakers find it impressive when foreigners** can speak English to anything approaching native fluency. I totally agree. I've foreign friends who can speak it in this way and with one in particular it strikes me as absurd how good their English is. I admire them. Whenever I travel to other countries I don't expect to be understood by the locals but it's clear that tourist companies apply particular effort, for obvious reasons.

I hope that got my points across. British attitudes tend to annoy me. Being a native English speaker, and probably exceptionally in most natively English communities, I would prefer that everyone, including myself, learns another language for international communication. Of course it won't happen like that as it'd involve the removal of so much money invested into teaching people English for exactly the same purpose.

*The use of Brit here expands to the UK, Northern Ireland and N.America. I can't speak for Canada, Australia or New Zealand as I rarely have contact with people from those regions and Canada has a high population of French speakers.
**Those whose first language is not English; I'm making no reference to citizenship.

This discussion contains 206 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version