Diglot
Denmark
Joined 5339 days ago

213 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 177 of 206
08 March 2010 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
There is no doubt that geopolitics play a role in the use of French internationally.

But take a look at this article, from the New York Times, written in 1886. It acknowldges those of you who point to geopolitical influences but also writes the following about why French was chosen as the lingua franca of diplomacy and international relations:

"The choice was made by a process of natural selection. French has been polished into an instrument of almost perfect sharpness and precision for the purposes of exact statement and facile intercourse."

Later the status of French was challenged and English took over, but it seems the take-over happened because of the relative decline of France and the relative ascent of England - not because English was better than or even equal to French as a medium of almost perfect sharpness and precision for the purposes of exact statement and facile intercourse in the same way as was the case for French.

Edit - here is the link: The French Language in Diplomacy

Edited by Rikyu-san on 08 March 2010 at 3:01pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6250 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 178 of 206
08 March 2010 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
91jerome wrote:
Volte wrote:

Please do keep it civil.

I agree with the general point that English doesn't tend to be more ambiguous, but it certainly has some constructs which are ambiguous while the French equivalents are not. Claude Piron's "Learning From Translation Mistakes" has some nice examples. "In English similar ambiguities are constant. In International Labor Organization, the word international refers to organization, as shown in the official French wording: Organisation internationale du Travail. But in another UN specialized agency, the International Civil Aviation Organization, the word international is to be related with aviation, not with organization, as shown, again, by the French version: Organisation de l'aviation civile internationale (and not Organisation internationale de l'aviation civile)."

Yes but you could change that to "International Organisation of Civil Aviation" and the ambiguity is avoided without changing the meaning. And we can nit-pick details in individual language until the cows come home but at the end of the day we'll come to the conclusion that there are ambiguities in every language and that on the whole all natural languages are as ambiguous/unambiguous as each other.

Yes, ambiguity can be worked around. That doesn't change the simple fact that some languages are more ambiguous than others with certain types of expressions, and that people often only notice one potential meaning without seeing the others - which is a problem, because different people don't all see the same meaning, and don't realize there's an ambiguity.

91jerome wrote:

Too many people are so enthralled by the Classical languages that they see anything else as debased.

Fully agreed, but blasting people on the assumption that this is their mindset doesn't change their minds. Despite the 'Latin' on my profile on the left, I've never understood this particular enthrallment - the classical languages don't strike me as all that special, and they have plenty of ambiguities and warts too (no language with an ablative should have any claim to a lack of ambiguity whatsoever...).

spanishlearner
Groupie
France
Joined 5265 days ago

51 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 179 of 206
08 March 2010 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
Rikyu-san wrote:
There is no doubt that geopolitics play a role in the use of French internationally.

But take a look at this article, from the New York Times, written in 1886. It acknowldges those of you who point to geopolitical influences but also writes the following about why French was chosen as the lingua franca of diplomacy and international relations

Indeed French has oftentimes been lauded for its precision. The opposite is also true though. In one of his books, Jean-François Revel writes about how he desisted from creating a French version of the Economist because in his opinion the French language does not lend itself well to the kind of pithy and to-the-point writing for which the British weekly is known.

spanishlearner
Groupie
France
Joined 5265 days ago

51 posts - 81 votes 

Message 180 of 206
08 March 2010 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Despite the 'Latin' on my profile on the left, I've never understood this particular enthrallment - the classical languages don't strike me as all that special, and they have plenty of ambiguities and warts too (no language with an ablative should have any claim to a lack of ambiguity whatsoever...).

Once you get to the point where you can read the masterpieces rendered in that language, you'll understand the enthrallment. Again, language is like marble to Michelangelo's David. Even in a language as systematic as Sanskrit, meaning is often left for context to expound.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6250 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 181 of 206
08 March 2010 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
spanishlearner wrote:
Volte wrote:
Despite the 'Latin' on my profile on the left, I've never understood this particular enthrallment - the classical languages don't strike me as all that special, and they have plenty of ambiguities and warts too (no language with an ablative should have any claim to a lack of ambiguity whatsoever...).

Once you get to the point where you can read the masterpieces rendered in that language, you'll understand the enthrallment.

I doubt I will, honestly. Neither the content nor the the languages themselves appeal to me that much. Russian and Japanese are beautiful languages; Latin and Greek leave me pretty cold. My experience so far with language learning points to my original impressions about how much a language itself appeals to me (structurally) don't tend to change much as I learn it better, though a higher level does let me better appreciate the ones I do like.

spanishlearner wrote:

Again, language is like marble to Michelangelo's David. Even in a language as systematic as Sanskrit, meaning is often left for context to expound.

On these points, we fully agree.

spanishlearner
Groupie
France
Joined 5265 days ago

51 posts - 81 votes 

Message 182 of 206
08 March 2010 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
I doubt I will, honestly. Neither the content nor the the languages themselves appeal to me that much. Russian and Japanese are beautiful languages; Latin and Greek leave me pretty cold. My experience so far with language learning points to my original impressions about how much a language itself appeals to me (structurally) don't tend to change much as I learn it better, though a higher level does let me better appreciate the ones I do like.

Well Volte, this is a personal assessment that of course is beyond questioning by anyone but yourself. Perhaps from your background in mathematics structure plays an important role in your aesthetic sensibility. And I agree with you that for example the beauty of Russian is plainly evident from the start.

Where I believe you could be mistaken is in dismissing the effect on the appreciation of a language of reading the masterpieces that it has given embodiment to. We don't study Latin, Greek, Arabic, Sanskrit or Classical Chinese because of their linguistic features; we do so because so much of the loftiest exertions of mankind have found voice in them. Thus without having experienced those masterpieces one really cannot pass judgment on the merits of these languages. It would be like smashing the David to pieces and then wondering what's so special about a pile of dirt.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6250 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 183 of 206
08 March 2010 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
spanishlearner wrote:
Volte wrote:

Well Volte, this is a personal assessment that of course is beyond questioning by anyone but yourself. Perhaps from your background in mathematics structure plays an important role in your aesthetic sensibility. And I agree with you that for example the beauty of Russian is plainly evident from the start.

Where I believe you could be mistaken is in dismissing the effect on the appreciation of a language of reading the masterpieces that it has given embodiment to. We don't study Latin, Greek, Arabic, Sanskrit or Classical Chinese because of their linguistic features; we do so because so much of the loftiest exertions of mankind have found voice in them. Thus without having experienced those masterpieces one really cannot pass judgment on the merits of these languages. It would be like smashing the David to pieces and then wondering what's so special about a pile of dirt.

Very valid points. I don't rule out the possibility of learning Sanskrit in depth someday, though it's not in my immediate future.

Nonetheless, I can appreciate photographs of Michaelangelo's David, while acknowledging they fall short of seeing it live. I haven't found anything in classical literature which speaks to me in the same way - perhaps this is a personal failing, or will change with time, but it's currently the case.

If I loved classical works, it would make sense to study the original languages in depth - I fully agree with this sentiment. As it stands, I don't.

I haven't found myself warming to Latin at all, despite taking a class that reads literature in it in the original, for better or worse. There are some nice parts, certainly, but I don't find myself appreciating or enjoying it anywhere near as much as I do a lot of other things.

Hoopskidoodle
United States
Joined 5311 days ago

55 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 184 of 206
08 March 2010 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
...The onslaught of English plus the governments misguided love-affair with "multi-culturalism" spells for the death of our language and culture...

I imagine this kind of alarmingly chauvinistic raving was all too common in interwar Germany. Infer from that whatever you'd like.

This discussion contains 206 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version