Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Swedish, Norweg., Danish, Finnish - HELP!

Language Learning Forum : Skandinavisk & Nordisk Post Reply
52 messages over 7 pages: 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>
Taka
Diglot
Groupie
China
Joined 5901 days ago

47 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: Swedish, Portuguese

Message 17 of 52
05 December 2009 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
Hej guys, thank you for your answers.

So now we've come to the discussion on 'snakkes', a rather interesting question. To use the verbs with an 's' added to the end is also pain for me. I always tried to avoid using it. The only example in Swedish that I know is 'vi ses' and this involves 'each other' as well. I will post here when I get to learn more about it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5330 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 18 of 52
05 December 2009 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
So you study Swedish! Do you live in China? How did you become interested in our language?

I suppose it can be tricky to predict when to use reflexive forms, but if you just see it as a separate verb, you'll sidestep the issue. You'll have to learn slightly more words of course, but you don't need to stop and think.

Taka
Diglot
Groupie
China
Joined 5901 days ago

47 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: Swedish, Portuguese

Message 19 of 52
09 December 2009 at 8:47am | IP Logged 
Gustaf, yes I live in China. I have heard that the sing-song nature of Swedish makes the language very interesting, and a little bit like Chinese, on the tones side. So why not learn Swedish?

Well actually I have been to Sweden, and I'd been working with some Swedish people. I have good friends there who were very keen to help me and I would like to continue learning it now on my own.

Thanks for the advice, I'll just keep learning some more verbs I think.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6512 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 52
09 December 2009 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
Well we just need a Danish person to confirm that it's the same expression... (the usage of "med" instead of "ved" was a bit strange... How embarrassing if Gustaf and I are wrong!)

"Vi tales ved" is a Danish construction, but "Vi tales med" is not. My guess is that it is a printing error. In my idiolect this phrase means "we'll talk later", not necessarily that it will be a serious talk. A shortened expresion "vi snakkes" has been invented, and here it is almost certain that it won't be a serious discussion, but just ordinary talking to each other.

The -s originally indicated a reflexive meaning - i.e. one person does something to himself. With a group of several persons this will generally mean that the members interact (vi snakkes ved = we'ill talk to each other). This is still the basic situation in Icelandic (with some exceptions). However -s in Danish now is at least as common in sentences where something is done to somebody by somebody or something else, i.e. a passive meaning, where the agent doesn't have to be expressed. In this case it competes with constructions with the auxiliary verb "at være".

Edited by Iversen on 09 December 2009 at 2:20pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5718 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 21 of 52
09 December 2009 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
FYI, in Norwegian there is no such thing as "vi snakkes ved". It's "Vi snakkes" or simply "snakkes" - the end.

Every so often you'll hear something like "då snakkes me" (I say this at the end of almost every phone call with my parents), but don't get the last word confused with "med" - "me" is simply a dialectal form of "vi" and a very widespread one at that (one you're guaranteed to run into at some fairly early point).

Mcagnin
Triglot
Spain
Joined 5271 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: German, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Catalan

Message 22 of 52
12 December 2009 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
I once found a norwegian online grammar that is no longer available. It said that in this language there's a very productive structure that is made of an infinitive verb as a topic and it's explanation as the sentence, something like "to write, is what John does" ("a skrive, gjor Jon")... I can't recall it very well . This structure was analised in positions within the sentence, as it is a verb second position language. But that's all I can remember. Can anyone tell me if this is right and where to find further information (online) about this structure? Please, I'm eager to get the answer. Thanks in advance.

mmma
Pentaglot
Finland
Joined 5406 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Spanish, Swedish, Esperanto
Studies: French, Japanese, Dutch

Message 23 of 52
21 December 2009 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
Hej,

1. A question about verb "passa": can one use it with the preposition "för" in a sentence "det passar för alla..." (and by this I want to say: it's okay for everyone) or should it be used without any prepositions (det passar alla)? Or are there possibly some other verbs which could make the message clearer?

2. a. What are the most common mistakes in pronunciation Finns (or any foreign speakers of Swedish) tend to make? Of course, I, too, understand that there is no official pronunciation guide but something that actually hinders understanding.

b. The pronunciation of the letter R seems to be highly irregular. Should I roll it, or do an "english" R?

tackar!

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6718 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 24 of 52
21 December 2009 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
1 'Passa'/'passa för' is slightly synonymous as long as you don't speak about clothes ("Jackan passar för dig" isn't something I would say).

2a I'm not aware of any special pronunciation difficulties that Finns have. However, Finns are sometimes portrayed as being unable to say /sh/ (sk/sj/skj/stj/sch/sh.. even kj/tj) and people make fun of the accent by using /s/ instead (sampo, Norrsöping, söpa..). But I've never heard a real Finn speak like that.

2b Roll it if you can/want, make it "English" before n, s, l, t, d (or rather, change the 'quality' of those consonants).

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version