Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Swedish, Norweg., Danish, Finnish - HELP!

Language Learning Forum : Skandinavisk & Nordisk Post Reply
52 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>
cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5647 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 33 of 52
25 April 2010 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
DaisyMaisy wrote:
Is this a common thing amongst the Swedish speaking Finns? Do folks tend to identify more
by language than by the actual country they are from?

An interesting question. Do we have any finlandssvenskar on this forum who could enlighten us?

Yes, Hencke.... He considers himself Finnish, I am sure. The connection is with the language, not the nationality. It was several hundred years since Finland belonged to Sweden.

People from Åland speak Swedish like people from Stockholm. You don't know they are from there unless they tell you because the accent does not reveal it. Most of them go to university in Sweden, or spend time there at some point in their life.

Plus, the other thing to bear in mind is that there are probably the same amount of Finnish speaking Finns in Sweden as there are Swedish speaking Finns in Finland... LOTS of Finns moved to Sweden between the 1950s-1980s because the Swedish economy was stronger and the countries have strong ties. They are part of Sweden now, if they want to... although some have moved back.

Plus in Northern Sweden there are some areas that are Finnish speaking.

And lots of the Swedish speaking people in Finland really ARE Swedes and not Finns. People sometimes go there to "get away" a bit... It's sort of home, yet foreign... A least two of my friends disappeared to Finland when things got a bit to complicated.... The difference in their case is that they can't speak Finnish.
2 persons have voted this message useful

DaisyMaisy
United States
Joined 5189 days ago

115 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 34 of 52
26 April 2010 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
ah, now I know the right word, finlandssvenskar! :)

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. I didn't realize there were Finnish speaking areas of Sweden, although it makes sense that there would be....Scandinavia is more linguistically complex than I had first realized, with Norwegian having the different dialects, Danish being similar but different, Sami languages, Swedish and Finnish in various places....I think I have tended to fall into easy assumption that Sweden = Swedish, or Italy = Italian, etc.

I think there is probably a difference between America and Europe in the way that we see ourselves as the "melting pot" (not to say there hasn't been a lot of discrimination/feeling against those deemed undesireable). Most distantly European-origin folks like myself see ourselves as American, although one does quite frequently hear, "oh, I'm Polish, German, and Hungarian" - all hundreds of years ago though. Of course an American not of European origin might think quite differently about it all than I do, given some of the history that has occurred.

It will be interesting as the US becomes more and more a two main languages country - English and Spanish of course. Where I live (West Coast) I hear Spanish every day, most all signs in businesses are in both languages, and almost every corporate phone call you dial has a Spanish speaking option, etc.

Finally, that is quite interesting about the "German Italians". Out of curiosity, does anyone know if it is a standard German dialect that they speak? Or a Swiss variety?
1 person has voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5156 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 35 of 52
26 April 2010 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
DaisyMaisy wrote:
[...]
Finally, that is quite interesting about the "German Italians". Out of curiosity, does anyone know if it is a standard German dialect that they speak? Or a Swiss variety?

The German spoken in the Italian region of South Tirol is ‘Südtirolerisch’ which is a variant of Austro-Bavarian. In particular it is classified as one of the Southern Austro-Bavarian dialects which are spoken in the Austrian regions of Tyrol, Carinthia, Styria and in parts of Salzburg and Burgenland and of course in South Tirol.

So it is actually closer to Austrian than to either standard German or Swiss German.

Edited by Emme on 26 April 2010 at 9:41pm

oz-hestekræfte
Australia
Joined 5487 days ago

103 posts - 117 votes 
Studies: Danish

Message 36 of 52
13 June 2010 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
I'm wondering if someone can shed some light on something that often trips me up in Danish. And that is the difference between "for at" and "til at" and indeed simply "at"

It seems like such a basic thing that I should know, but because most of my study has been nearly all imput, I haven't really needed to discern the difference. Also I haven't been able to find good explainations in any of my teaching material.

I think the problem for me is English always just uses "to"

A couple of examples. I did some google searches to get the correct form (I hope they are all right)

Jeg glæder mig at lære mere om det.   

Jeg glæder mig til at lære fra dig.   

Jeg gør det for at lære noget

Can anyone tell me what the difference between these 3 sentences are that they need the different construction?
"at" and "til at" seem almost interchangeable, but I'm still not 100% sure on the difference between any of them.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6718 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 37 of 52
13 June 2010 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
Based on my Swedish, "at" matches "to", while "for at" means "in order to"/"because".

Danac
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 5157 days ago

162 posts - 257 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: German, Serbo-Croatian, French, Russian, Esperanto

Message 38 of 52
13 June 2010 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
oz-hestekræfte wrote:
I'm wondering if someone can shed some light on something that often trips me up in Danish. And that is the difference between "for at" and "til at" and indeed simply "at"

It seems like such a basic thing that I should know, but because most of my study has been nearly all imput, I haven't really needed to discern the difference. Also I haven't been able to find good explainations in any of my teaching material.

I think the problem for me is English always just uses "to"

A couple of examples. I did some google searches to get the correct form (I hope they are all right)

Jeg glæder mig til at lære fra dig.   

Jeg gør det for at lære noget

Can anyone tell me what the difference between these 3 sentences are that they need the different construction?
"at" and "til at" seem almost interchangeable, but I'm still not 100% sure on the difference between any of them.

I'd agree with "at" and "to" being similar, and I'd also say that "for at" is "in order to".

The other ones are right, but this sentence is wrong. The expression is "glæde sig til" so there has to be a "til" there. (Jeg glæder mig til at lære mere om det.)

Many expressions have a certain preposition they go with, and it's not like they have a particular function like "for at", they just have to be there if it's a part of the expression.

We'd also say: Jeg ser frem til at lære mere om det.

The "til" has to be there, since the expression is "se frem til".

I hope you have a good dictionary that can tell you when to use the correct preposition to match an expression.

Edit: I was also considering the wording of the sentence "Jeg glæder mig til at lære fra dig." It seems almost correct, but I'd prefer "Jeg glæder mig til at lære (noget) af dig." (I'm not sure about the "noget", I think I decided it might work both ways.)

Edited by Danac on 13 June 2010 at 2:55pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Itseopis
Japan
Joined 5233 days ago

10 posts - 9 votes
Studies: Finnish

Message 39 of 52
23 September 2010 at 7:54am | IP Logged 
Cordelia Du snaqqer hel godt dansq och jag undrar om de finlans Svensqatalerar är Finsq eller svensq folk eller
baade i finlands historia de t finsqan maaste talar svensq

I Qorea 1900 talet Qorean folq under Japansq Imperialism var utrotade om det talade Qoreansqa liten barn oqqsaa

Japansq är qrigs förbrytare

gustaviii
United States
Joined 4928 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Swedish

Message 40 of 52
19 November 2010 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone,

I'm learning Swedish from a book from my university's library, which doesn't have an answer key. Could someone tell me if this is a correct usage of "tycka om"?

"The young Swedish girls liked looking at the magnificent gardens."
= De unga svenska flickorna tyckte om att titta på de praktfulla trädgårdarna.

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version