United States
Joined 5308 days ago

53 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 1 of 232
03 December 2009 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 

2010 TEAM TAC THREAD

This thread has been created in order to help structure the 2010 TEAM TAC (TOTAL ANNHILATION CHALLEGE). The is also necessary to prevent people who are not interested in doing a personal TAC know that there is a TEAM CHALLENGE that they can participate in as well. In order for the 2010 TTAC to be successful, ideas and structure is needed in order to make this project come together! Share your ideas! This will also be the sign up spot to join the competition. Please include the languages that you are targeting for this competition!

***BUTTONS IS NOW OFFICIALLY THE ORGANIZER FOR THE 2010 TEAM TAC CHALLENGE***

*Credit is given to the idea of a TEAM challege came from the HTLAL member DaraghM.

Special thanks is also given to BUTTONS for taking out all the time and effort she has put in, in order for this TEAM TAC to come into fruition!   

Also thank you to all the members who have voiced their inputs and suggestions to help organize this new project.

Here are some reasons why we should have a TEAM TOTAL ANNHILATION CHALLENGE!

1. MOTIVATION - Language learning can be hard, actually it is hard! By having a TTAC you will be able to bond with other language learners easier instead of going at it alone. Being on a team can help give you the motivation that is needed when times get tough!

2. RESOURCES - Having a good team will help guide you in the best resources that can help you achieve what you want to achieve in a faster amount of time! By making friends people could get the idea of the type of learner you are and point you into the direction of some resources that you never knew existed.

3. PRACTICING - Did you know the more you practice something the better you get at it? Now you have people you can practice on via email/skype/phone or whatever it may be. If you make mistakes who cares? You guys both need the practice!   

4. COMPETITION - A little friendly competition never hurt anyone, well I don't think it has but there are some crazy people out there! Some people are driven by competition. I happen to be one of them!

**UPDATE FROM BUTTONS THE TEAM TAC ORGANIZER AS OF DECEMBER 18TH, PLEASE READ***

To those who have just signed up, welcome aboard :0)

If you haven't already signed up and you do not wish to wade through this thread (and if you have, apologies for repeating information from a previous posting), a brief summary is as follows:

- The current groups for the Team TAC Challenge 2010 is listed on page 1 of this thread. People are currently being teamed by common languages. These teams are currently being updated once to twice a week to reflect any new members etc.

- People are still welcome to sign up.

- On Sunday 27th December, the teams will be fixed. People will still be welcome to sign up after this date but I am likely to create new teams and cannot guarantee you will be placed with anyone who shares a common language with you.

- The idea of the Team TAC Challenge 2010 is mainly for you to support your team members in reaching their language goals for the end of 2010. To do this, everyone has a personal log and you then follow your team members logs, providing support and watching their progress during the year.

- A competition element has been discussed but as there are many different learning styles, different languages and different levels that we all have, it is looking difficult to find something suitable for everyone.   The following look like the best options:

a) We vote at the end of 2010 for your best log outside of your team. The team with the most points overall then wins.
b) Wait until the end of 2010 and see if there is a team that just stands out.
c) Do not do the competition in 2010. Meeting our own personal language goals is enough of a challenge :0)

I also believe we do not need to make a decision now about the competition element. With the above options, I am sure any sort of decision can wait until later in 2010.

Btw, I am really impressed that we currently have 34 participants in this Team TAC Challenge! And good luck everyone!

---BUTTONS---

Edited by Fasulye on 21 December 2010 at 5:27pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6255 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 232
03 December 2009 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
I think random mixture is the best way to structure it. That way we don't run the risk of having too big teams or too small teams depending on the popularity of languages. Also, it's the easiest to organise. I personally would like to know about languages I don't study right now, but am interested in.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6289 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 3 of 232
03 December 2009 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
If possible, each team should include both a native speaker and another student of the same language. That way, you can exchange resources and also run things by the native speaker. However, this will not be achievable as people study several languages.
4 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5468 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 4 of 232
03 December 2009 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
The only problem I see with some of the team structures is if the route went is the one where native speakers are mixed in with people learning that language. There are a lot of people learning Japanese, but I've yet to see anyone on this forum who is a native Japanese speaker.

I agree with Jiwon about random mixture, because teams like Spanish and French would be large in number, and other teams/languages may only have 1/5th the members of the popular languages.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5666 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 232
03 December 2009 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
With my very uncommon language combination "Turkish/Danish" I wouldn't fit in any language team, or would I?

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 03 December 2009 at 9:56pm

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5386 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 6 of 232
03 December 2009 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
And where would I fit in as I attempt to tackle Spanish, French, German, Russian, Mandarin and Japanese?

Adrean
TAC 2010 Winner
France
adrean83.wordpress.c
Joined 5987 days ago

348 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: FrenchC1

Message 8 of 232
04 December 2009 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
I would like very much to join in with the TAC2010 challenge. I have been a consistent contributer for 2009.

I am only learning French at the moment but I would be happy to take on board a second language part time if it is part of the challenge.

I'm spending a little some time in France in 2010 and I hope that I can make a more valuable contribution to the forum in regards to immersion experience.

This discussion contains 232 messages over 29 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version